Trio Turntable

A

Anonymous

It's a Kenwood, isn't it? Not bad, the equivalent of a PL12 I believe. Put on an OM10 or above rather than the AT95E.

A

Anonymous

No idea what the ADCs were like, but, if it needs one, new needles are still available.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
cheyworth:It has an ADC headshell and a K8 cartridge.

Get an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge for about the price of a loaf of bread (bread from Harrods anyway) and have a lot of fun.

Actually have a good look in any drawers and cupboards you have not looked in lately (and that attic again) because everyone has an AT95E hidden away somewhere.

My wife found one of mine from about 27 years ago in a little tupperware box in the meter cupboard last week along with an old Nagaoka MP11 Boron and loads of other bits-n-bobs.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Nothing wrong with ADC head shells and their cartridges are good as well, not sure about the cartridge, you say it's a K8 which makes me think of linn but they made the K5/9 and 18 unless ADC made a K8 and yes an Ortofon om10 would be a nice match but i still prefer the AT 95E a lot cheaper too.

phil8702

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Chris. I bought a Trio KA5500 amp many years ago. It was (I believe) the UK brand of Kenwood at the time, and it gave me many years of good service. I sold it when I returned to the UK after many years in New Zealand and it's probably still giving good service there. The point is the stuff is well designed and made - only you can decide on the quality of the sound. It was teamed up with a Thorens TD160C MkII which was also excellent for the money, not quite as good as the Linn Sondek I now own but worthy for the money. Interesting to see that incarnations of both the Thorens and the Linn are still around and highly respected. I'll put my neck on the line and suggest the Thorens is likely to be better than the Trio. Just some thoughts, and many regards. Phil

A

Anonymous

Hi I have also found my old trio deck recently. I've kept it in good nick and the only thing that's wrong with it is the belt has decomposed. Can any of you recommend a place to buy one. Its a kd 1033 by the way. I'm in Dublin

thanks Neil

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
neilhickey said:
Hi I have also found my old trio deck recently. I've kept it in good nick and the only thing that's wrong with it is the belt has decomposed. Can any of you recommend a place to buy one. Its a kd 1033 by the way. I'm in Dublin

thanks Neil

The best hifi dealer in Dublin is Clooney Audio: http://cloneyaudio.com/

Newbee42

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi i am a complete beginer when it comes to analogue music, i have also just purchased a trio 1033 i need help with

pre amp? Or just amp?

new stylus what one??

And best speakers bookshelf speakers for this set up

Newbee42

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi i am a complete beginer when it comes to analogue music, i have also just purchased a trio 1033 i need help with

pre amp? Or just amp?

new stylus what one??

And best speakers bookshelf speakers for this set up

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I also have a KD1033 dating from around 1974. I had not played it for many years and in reaction to this thread I have re activated it. The stylus/cartridge/head set-up was AKG head and Ortofon F15E MkII. The cartridge is at least 30 years old and has been unused for 25 of those. On the advice of earlier posters on this thread I changed it for an Audio Technica AT95E. . My problem is that the sound doesn't seem any better and if anything it is less clear and has a good deal less 'umph'. Is that how it should be. I would describe the sound as bright but weedy. Any advice welcome.

Peter Macconnell said:
I also have a KD1033 dating from around 1974. I had not played it for many years and in reaction to this thread I have re activated it. The stylus/cartridge/head set-up was AKG head and Ortofon F15E MkII. The cartridge is at least 30 years old and has been unused for 25 of those. On the advice of earlier posters on this thread I changed it for an Audio Technica AT95E. . My problem is that the sound doesn't seem any better and if anything it is less clear and has a good deal less 'umph'. Is that how it should be. I would describe the sound as bright but weedy. Any advice welcome.
I take it you are using an amp with a proper 'phono' input, Peter? The AT95 is quite thin and bright, particularly after the warm and soft Ortofon. Try increasing the tracking weight to the maximum permitted as that might improve things slightly, and it may setlle in a bit after a few sides (and preferably in a warm room).

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks very the very helpful advice, nopiano. Yes I have a phono stage on my amp. I bought a Cambridge Audio AM10 Topaz just to use with this old turntable. It has a built in phono stage. I have tried changing the tracking weight as you suggest and found that it sounds best at just a touch under 2 grams. I have also noticed it sounds better with some records than others. Mostly I am listening to modern jazz - Bill Evans, Jim Hall, Bill Frisell, Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, etc. The guitar/piano stuff sounds better with the AT-95e and the predominantly horn based stuff is better with the Ortofon. So I have get a second headshell so that I can interchange according to what I am listening to. Thanks for the advice.

macushla

May 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a Trio KD 1033 deck (plus Ortofon cartridge) which I replaced some years ago with a Pro-ject Debut II; I the amplifier is a Marantz PM 4000 amp with a fairly basic set of Kef speakers..The sound is pretty good, except that I have problems from time to time with the sound cutting off, even without the volume being up very high. I would appreciate any advice on a) whether I should go back to the Trio deck, b) how can I eliminate the sound cutting out c) do I need to change the amplifier? and d) if I were to sell the Trio or Project deck, how much should I ask for either? Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts