Transmitting music wirelessly from my desktop PC to my HiFi, is this possible?

Ergates

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I was wondering if there was some way of playing an MP3 upon my desktop PC and it somehow being heard on my HiFi system in the adjacent room that does not require the use of long cables?

Searching this question on Google produces a variety of possible solutions, hinting at bluetooth, or possibly wireless streaming, but nothing I have found is able to make clear exactly how either of the above can be achieved.

My PC is a standard desktop machine that makes use of wireless networking through a wireless router provided by my ISP, and has an external USB soundcard connected directly to the speaker system, it has no bluetooth capability that I am aware of.

My HiFi has no bluetooth capability, but it does have a USB port and an aux-in jack.

If anyone were willing to explain to me in clear, simple, plain none-techy terms exactly how I might achieve this, and the type of equipment I would need to purchase (assuming it's even possible) I'd be very grateful.

Thank you.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Do you use itunes at all?

as above; Apple Airport Express or an Apple TV will do the job but you'll need to sort a DAC to go between also (I've used a Fiio D3 in the past and they're amazing little things for £30)!

Music from PC/iTunes > Airport Express or ATV via Airplay (over your wifi network) > Fiio D3 DAC via an optical cable > amp via phono leads

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
d_a_n1979 said:
Do you use itunes at all?

as above; Apple Airport Express or an Apple TV will do the job but you'll need to sort a DAC to go between also (I've used a Fiio D3 in the past and they're amazing little things for £30)!

Music from PC/iTunes > Airport Express or ATV via Airplay (over your wifi network) > Fiio D3 DAC via an optical cable > amp via phono leads
I use this method and although not CD quality certainly works. I dont use a DAC you can plug the AE straight into the RCA inputs with the correct cable. You will need to use itunes and can also stream from an iphone. Would be better if your itunes files are stored as lossless

Martinblueboy

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
The other alternative is to use a Squeezebox Touch. It can be connected either wirelessly or wired to your network in a similar way that other people have mentioned with Airport Express. The only downside is that Logitech have stopped producing the Squeezebox so that it may be difficult to pick one up now. I use a Squeezebox touch and run it into my CD player (see my sig) by an spdif lead. However, it does just have standard RCA interconnects that can be attached one of the lines into your amplifer. The benefit of a Squeezebox is that it will deal with not just MP3, but also all your iTunes stuff and importantly (for me) FLAC. The Squeezebox is relatively simple to set set up; if you've set up a router then it shouldn't present to much in the way of problems.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
A very simple solution could be to purchase a USB Bluetooth dongle for your PC (they are only a few quid on Amazon) and then a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to your hi-fi via RCA or 3.5mm line in.

Belkin, Sony, Philips etc. make Bluetooth transmitters, prices range from from £20-£50.

Not the last word in outright sound quality I'll admit, but a quick and easy set up.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not very techy either, and dont actually know what you mean by an external soundcard, but......when i was looking into streaming recently (i went for the bluetooth adapter option) many people were recommending these: apparently slightly better sound quality than bluetooth:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/usb-converters-c213/usb-to-audio-interfaces-c1503/usb-wireless-audio-sender-p2742?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=usb-wireless-audio-sender-20519&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads%3Futm_source%3Dgoogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=usb-wireless-audio-sender-20519&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CLSA1qiai7sCFYzItAodK3gAYg#2884

i didnt go for this because i am using a tablet and i dint want a dongle sticking out of it when using, but for a pc it would be my choice. more than half price of air express and everything too. ???

Ergates

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, to be honest (and to my shame) I've no clear idea what a DAC is, and all the stuff above about ITunes and all the rest is a bit opaque for me. The bluetooth solution using the transmitter or receiver actually sounds ideal, but I'm also looking at the USB device recommended by Radiorog, which sounds pretty neat actually.

(BTW, if you're curious an external soundcard isn't really a 'card' it's is a USB device you plug into your PC that allows it to playback or record audio.

Most modern PCs laptops and tablets etc. have in-built on-board sound that just works as soon as you plug speakers into the back, there's no need for additional hardware.

I'm a musician, and so I need something better than standard on-board sound. My USB device allows me to hook up my various instruments to the PC through an aux-in or microphone socket, which then communicates directly with the various software music apps I use.

It's got all kinds of pre-amp, fancy filters, effects, midi drivers and pre-buffering controls blah blah blah that make it a good choice for musicians. Thats about it really.)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim said:
d_a_n1979 said:
JoelSim said:
That's exactly what I do. Airport Express into the DAC on my CD player. Works like a charm.

JoelSim Sir... Long time no see :)

To the OP; I stream all my music; it's in my sig

You well mate?

Ticking over; wondering why I still do this haha :rofl:

Much new?

To the OP; I get fantastic sound quality from my set-up

You can get an Apple TV 2nd hand for c£50-£60 eBay route etc... (ATV3 not 2) and the FiiO D3 DAC brand new is c£27 on Amazon and inc. delivery!

iTunes is VERY easy to use; you can add your music to it if you like but also you can access it all via the iCloud so you dont need to have your PC on if/when you want to listen to music as it'll stream from the net via your wifi etc...

Bluetooth is an easy'ish option but you just dont a) get as good a sound quality and b) the reliability etc...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts