Transfer my CD / DVD / Blu-Ray collection to NAS / Server based system.

KRP3QC

Nov 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to transfer my CD / DVD and Blu-Ray collection to something that is hard drive based. Ihave a budget of £1,500 - £2,000.

Requirements:

- I shouldn't have to turn on my PC to listen to or watch from the collection.

- Capable of storing albumn art and track details.

- Quiet: very improtant

- Digital audio and video outputs (coaxial and HDMI minimum).

- Energy efficient.

- Would like but not essential: an optical drive built-in so that I can insert the CD / DVD / Blu-Ray and would automatically be ripped onto the drive.

Can someone please advise what hardware and software is necessary to transfer my collection?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Dont know anything that will automatically rip dvd/blurays, but if ur using a pc then AnydvdHD will rip both dvd and blu-ray to ISO which most media streamers will then play.

U really just need a largish NAS, and a media streamer

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
And 'ur' going to need a disregard for the law, too, as ripping DVDs and Blu-rays involves cracking the copy-protection built into these formats, which is illegal.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
TechMad said:
.......AnydvdHD will rip both dvd and blu-ray to ISO...

ISO files are a straight copy of the CD or DVD in question. With a DVD or Bluray that'll include all the tat you get on the disk which you might not want e.g. subtitles, trailers, etc. So they tend to be very big files.....but do retain the full functionality of the original disk.

Alternatively, you can use something like MakeMKV which will allow the ripping of selected parts of the DVD or Bluray e.g. the main title and audio track resulting in a smaller file. I believe that MakeMKV performs a lossless rip.

Andrew is right to point out that using software to bypass the copy protection on DVDs and Blurays is illegal. That said, there was a time when copying CDs was very much illegal (and may still be depending on your interpretation of the law). Times change and as media players become more common place, I suspect the movie makers will become more relaxed over DVD copying as long as you have purchased (and keep) a hard copy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts