I started up a thread on here years ago about the history of my grandfather and his working life on Southern railways. He drove only on Southern Railway from around 1909-1960 when he retired.

Having a lot more research I've discovered his actual train still exists, used on the East Lancs Railway. How do I know it's the exact train: well, the loco is called a Bullied, and although it unclear from the photo below, it was named the "City Of Wells". There were a number of different locos that had the "City of Wells", but only one Bullied that was permanently based at the London Marshalling yard where my grandfather was based.

70-odd years, pulled from a S.Wales scrapyard and restored it's still giving passengers a gorgeous ride through the Lancashire countryside.

Attachments

• img015 (2).jpg
    img015 (2).jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 6

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
That's a really cool piece of history. I went to the steam Gala on the East Lancs in 2020 before lockdown and rode behind City of Wells then.

I'm a bit of a train nut to be honest. Although didn't really risk it last year, I did the Great Central Steam Gala last month. They had a cracking line up including the Battle of Britain Class "257 Squadron" which looks really similar to the Bullied. They even had that double heading with a Black 5 at one point which was quite the sight.

I meant to go the Keighly and Worth Steam Gala last weekend where City of Wells had been based until 2019, but unfortunately I had Covid which annoyingly put paid to that.

That's a really cool piece of history. I went to the steam Gala on the East Lancs in 2020 before lockdown and rode behind City of Wells then.

I'm a bit of a train nut to be honest. Although didn't really risk it last year, I did the Great Central Steam Gala last month. They had a cracking line up including the Battle of Britain Class "257 Squadron" which looks really similar to the Bullied. They even had that double heading with a Black 5 at one point which was quite the sight.

I meant to go the Keighly and Worth Steam Gala last weekend where City of Wells had been based until 2019, but unfortunately I had Covid which annoyingly put paid to that.
Strangely, I'm not really a train buff although I do enjoy the history of railways. Always been fascinated that the country relied so heavily on the railways in the early 20th century.

Before my grandfather drove the "City of Wells", in May1940 he was one of the first railwaymen to go to Dover stn and bring back the Dunkirk walking wounded. He had no medical training but some of the sights he experienced....

Yes, before going to East Lancs it was purchased by Keighly railway.

That loco had travelled a fair journey: made in Brighton, spent it's working life between London/Kent/Sussex coast. Taken out of service in the late 1960s, scrapped in the S. Wales knackers yard; restored and purchased by Keighly & Worth preservation railway.... now in E. Lancs

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts