admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been salivating over the prospect of a speaker change for a long time. My less than ideal circumstances at the moment are a Benchmark DAC1 > Naim Nait 5i > B&W 805s. I have stressed and strained over it but I've decided to lose the 805s and choose something more suiting to the Naim. Some would argue that by swapping the Naim for something a bit more capable could achieve a far more fluent system though I have decided to leave B&W alone for a while. My choices so far have been Neat Motive 1+2, Spendor SA1 (I do prefer stand-mounters) and PMC GB1i.

Raypalmer and a few others have put me on to these Totems though. I've just read some glowing reviews on the Rainmakers but the the WHF review on the Arro is not so glowing. Given I think they are going to be pretty hard to listen to does anybody have any opinions before I commit myself to traveling?

A

Anonymous

The Arro is a stronger speaker than the Rainmaker IMO. The review on whf doesn't match my own feelings, for a Nait it's a darling match. The Hawk and Model 1 (much different price brackets I know) are the other two bum-kickers in the Totem line, try and give them a listen as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Ray, hugely appreciated, you've always voiced your respect for these speakers and I don't take that lightly. One more thing though, has TM or Greg got an opinion?

A

Anonymous

Don't forget the Kudos C1, it's a lovely speaker, superb treble performance, fast and nimble too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks silly. Though you have an idea of where I can find info on these speakers?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
raypalmer:The Arro is a stronger speaker than the Rainmaker IMO. The review on whf doesn't match my own feelings, for a Nait it's a darling match. The Hawk and Model 1 (much different price brackets I know) are the other two bum-kickers in the Totem line, try and give them a listen as well.

Hmmm. My wife and I loved the look of the Arro's they had in our local Audio-T. But a Nait? The Arro's are £1000 speakers so surely it would take a lot more than a Nait to do real justice to them?

(All moot anyhow as, sadly, I cannot afford the speakers let alone the necessary high quality ancilliaries.)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
chebby:The Arro's are £1000 speakers so surely it would take a lot more than a Nait to do real justice to them?

I wouldn't worry about that price difference... You guys are getting raped on the price of Totems (and many other North American brands)... Across the pond, the Totems are actually cheaper than the Nait 5i...

A

Anonymous

I think you're going about it the wrong way.

It won't cost much to better a Nait.

Try Cash Recycle or if they're out of options a used Rotel 10 series, NAD Silverline, or old Bryston should suffice.

A

Anonymous

Strue, Arros are 1100CAD for White, black and mahogany, 1200 for cherry and maple. Basically half what you pay for them. We get hosed pretty heavily on a lot of euro speakers though, Spendor, Proac, Ruark and Dynaudio for example.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your responses, I didn't expect so many Totem warriors to come out of the closet. I understand we get gypped over here for such products (though I realize the grass is generally greener on our side) but personally I think both speakers will be OK with the Nait, though this will only be proven with testing (my next upgrades will be turning the Nait into a Naim pre/power). What you have done is answered my original question, I'll be trying the Totems, thanks.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:Thanks for all your responses, I didn't expect so many Totem warriors to come out of the closet. I understand we get gypped over here for such products (though I realize the grass is generally greener on our side) but personally I think both speakers will be OK with the Nait, though this will only be proven with testing (my next upgrades will be turning the Nait into a Naim pre/power). What you have done is answered my original question, I'll be trying the Totems, thanks.

Make sure you try listening to them fairly loud. I just listened to the Nait5i yesterday, and it struggled to keep up with the Sttaf's. Either that or the Sttaf's just weren't doing it for me, especially after listening to the Rega R3's.

A

Anonymous

The sttafs are just really, really rubbish for the money... Especially when you consider they're snug right between the Arro and Hawk in the Totem line, they just can't justify their existence.

A

Anonymous

The problem with totems they are small speakers they do not deliver punch and drive but have clarity. Adding a sub would fix these problems which would result in a sweet sounding system. I respectfully don't care what anybody says about these types of speakers or even with the likes of the b&w's br's kef's etc.. you need this type of medium to reap the benefits.As for being sent to the cleaners, it has always miffed me. The exchange rate with the pound.Canadian dollar? These totems are hand made resulting in the warranted price.Just like buying a rolls royce. I did'nt pay full value for my totems.You can make deals.

A

Anonymous

Several months ago I auditioned several speakers from the Totem range with my Naim 82/250. After several hours of auditioning I bought a pair of Spendors S6 which to me sounded much better in all areas, and were not balanced on some ball bearings which did not provide a very stable base for the speakers. IMHO go Spendor or B&W

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I love the arro and don't you believe that their small size can't produce great bass! I had my with DK Design (tubes base amp) and they were match so well that when I sold the Totem - DK was went very soon after! The thinking point though Was the Arro sound that good? or because I was totally amazed that how something so small could sound like that! If they were the same size as, let say, Spendors S6 Would I still be so impress with the sound? Honestly....I don't know.

Benchy DAC and Naim is quite an odd couple imo (one have a very hifi sound and the other er...not). I know a few people that seem to found the happiness from Naim and Bowers 805 but for me, Neat or Totem seem to have the timing egde that Naim love to show off.

A

Anonymous

Muchos grachos to everyone who has answered.

Thaiman, I've quite enjoyed the 805s / Naim partnership my concern being the Nait is hugely underpowered to make them sing at their best, though I know what you mean about it being pretty hit and miss. I am still considering all of the speakers I have mentioned though the only ones I haven't yet tested are both the Neats and these Totems. In your opinion how would you compare the Arro to the Motive 2, it would be a big help if you could give me a clue on this one because of travel.ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Arro are harder to drive than Neat & your Bowers so if you are changing because you are thinking Nait is under power then go for Neat (I reckon). The best kept secret Neat in my mind is the aging Mystique 2. Honestly the 2nd hand price for one of them would make any thing in similar price range look very expensive. As for Motive range I like the 1s more than the 2s but they do cost a fair bit more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks TM, I've seen the Mystique about but I have the feeling they'll be even harder to listen to than the Motives! Interesting about the Arro and the Neat though I'm still going to try and test them if I have the time and patience. Oh yeah I meant to say Motive 1, slip of the tongue.

A

Anonymous

I'll be demoing the Neats at Acoustica in Chester but the only dealers I can find for the Totems are very much south. Any ideas of where the closest place to Manchester is I might try some?

A

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong guys. I'm sure the speakers like the spendors are excellent gems and the base coming out of the arrows are sweet.What I'm about to say is buy no means is a comparison but if you listen to these awful boom boxes or so called mini systems the average joe is going to think wow! I don't believe I just said that! what Im trying to bring across is if I wanted to hear let's say Elton's Captain Fantastic's well produced kick drums or snare drums I would want it to excite me and I feel that small drivers don't deliver that with out the aid of a recomended sub.Besides when it comes to hifi in Canada we kind of lag behind.The place that I wish to purchase my naims I'd have to travel to Vancouver and there the only place that sells them so there for it would be impossible to get as you would say in England " A few quid off". They are not willing to negotiate.UK audio gear- I think are the best money can buy. Anyone come across audio gear made in Germany?.There practically non exsistant here or do I dare to ask? Cheers!

A

Anonymous

ukadvocate:Don't get me wrong guys. I'm sure the speakers like the spendors are excellent gems and the base coming out of the arrows are sweet.What I'm about to say is buy no means is a comparison but if you listen to these awful boom boxes or so called mini systems the average joe is going to think wow! I don't believe I justÿ said that!ÿ what Im trying to bring across is if I wanted to hear let's say Elton's Captain Fantastic's well produced kick drums or snare drums I would want it to excite me and I feel that small drivers don't deliver that with out the aid of a recomended sub.Besides when it comes to hifi in Canada we kind of lag behind.The place that I wish to purchase my naims I'd have to travel to Vancouver and there the only place thatÿ sells them so there for it would be impossible to getÿ as you would say in England " A few quid off".ÿ They are not willing to negotiate.UK audio gear- I think are the best money can buy.ÿÿÿÿÿ Anyone come across audio gear made in Germany?.There practically non exsistant here or do I dare to ask?ÿ Cheers!

I'm afraid I largely don't understand this, though I do feel slightly patriotic which is unusual...ÿ

(and also to put it in perspective, how far do you live from Vancouver?)ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts