TOSHIBA HD-EP35 & ONKYO TX SR875 DOLBY TRUE HD ISSUE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Could someone please tell me how (before i send either of the products back) if it is possible to get the amp to play Dolby Truehd, or the player to output the audio in bitstream, so my amp can decode it in to Dolby Truehd. I have done everything and changed all settings, but the amp always displays pcm and not bitstream. The players display says that it will allow the sound to pass via bitstream, but i am unable to get the amp to accept this. I understand that the onkyo will only accept Truehd via bitstream in order for it to be processed by the amp itself, so after reading the reviews in this magazine and several others online, including Toshiba!!!!, i purchased the Toshiba as it states that it will pass 7.1 via bitstream for the amp to process in to Truehd. I have tried and tried to get this to work, but i have run out of ideas. Does anyone know if the Toshiba will do what has been stated? I have also tried several discs, but none work. The main problem i feel is that i cant get the amp to display bitstream the amp continues to display pcm on its screen despite the player telling me otherwise. Please could someone give me their opinion, or answers please, i feel im going slightly mad in my efforts to see Dolby truehd on my display ( sad i know)!!!!!! Thank you and heres hoping i get any sort of response (oh and im sorry for being new, but could really do with some input)

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Just to clarify, you are connected to the amp with an HDMI cable and not optical?

Also, have you switched off HDMI audio out on the amplifier?

These are just suggestions as I'm still waiting for my EP35 (tomorrow!) and may end up with the same problem!

A

Anonymous

I thought they hadn't allowed offboard True HD decoding yet? Have they changed the rules with the new Toshiba EP35? If they haven't then the situation of old still exists which means linear PCM only via HDMI. This is still darned good and should be massively adequate! So I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over it.

A

Anonymous

Exactly !

But it is also exactly the point that so many people are misled to believe that you have to own an amplifier built-in with HD audio codecs or otherwise you are wasting your money with the arrival of HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

I wonder who's to blame....

A

Anonymous

But only those with those very same codecs can decode Linear PCM over 5.1 channels or even 7.1 channels. So it's not a waste at all. It's just not every single feature that's currently available to you, but whether this means you're missing anything is another matter. Linear PCM is a humongous step up from Dolby Digital so you'll be getting CD quality from all the surround speakers. Believe me, that's not a con at all. You won't be wasting your money! :)

A

Anonymous

It does work and sounds wonderfull i know as i have an onky 875 and an hd-ep35 and tru hd lights up along with dts master and dolby digital +. what settings do you have in the audio section of your hd player?????

A

Anonymous

I have replied to a similar post, but I can also back up gareth here. I have finally got the DolbyTrueHD letters to light up on my amp!

I can't recall changing any settings on my amp. The only stumbling block I came across when I first set up my HD-DVD player was in the audio part of the set up menu.

I have the 'Digital Out HDMI' set to AUTO, and the 'Digital Direct Audio Mode' set to ON.

Hope that helps you out.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I have got the same set up re Tosh and Onkyo. I had a frustrating night too. As well as switching Direct Digital Mode to On on the Tosh you need to make sure the Onkyo is NOT passing audio through to the TV via HDMI; in which case it will downsample to Stereo! Also, the TOsh needs to be on before you select it on the Onkyo.

Just played Batman Begins with Dolby TRUE HD; abolutely awesome!

Also a word of warning; I bought my Tosh from Play.com. They took days to ship and when it finally came, it was posted in the Toshiba box with no external box, packing, etc. How it arrived working, and not nicked, god knows.

Steve

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the EP35 through an 875 as well and it works fine. Although I did change the settings in the toshiba, the instructions explain what settings are required quite clearly ( I only read them because of this thread! ) I never had to change any settings on the Onkyo.

If you get really stuck let me know and I'll tell you what all my settings are.

A

Anonymous

i have the same setup onyo 875 and toshiba ep35. does anyone know the code to enable operation of the toshiba through the onkyo remote? can i ask what size of tv you guys are playing your movies on? i have the sony sxrd 70" man its a monster.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts