Took the plunge..Apple TV & Apple Time Capsule..Help

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
john1000000boy said:
Black beer mat one so the usb update wont work :help:

From the look of it, Paul's suggestion is the way to go - Firecore have a version for the black ATV2 (clicky). I seem to remember Mr John Duncan got aTV flash for his older 1st Gen Apple TV and not all functions worked, but I think the ability to use a NAS with it was one that did...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're worried about spending the money, the FAQ page confirms you get 15 days to try it out so you can always claim a refund (clicky):

It sounds great, but I'd like to try it first. Do you have a trial version?
Unfortunately we don't have a trial version, but we do offer a 15-day 'test drive' period. If for any reason you're not satisfied just let us know within 15 days and we'll get you a full refund.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
You'll need to jailbreak the Apple TV first before installing Firecore. You'll need a micro-usb cable to connect the @TV to your computer. Check your Apple TV software. I updated to 4.4.4 and used these instructions to jailbreak.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-apple-tv-4.4.4-untethered-using-seas0npass-how-to-tutorial/

Very straight forward, but be patient, the instructions don't mention that it takes a few minutes for @TV to reboot etc.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The Firecore page does include instructions on how to jailbreak using Seas0nPass as well (which actually look identical to the ones on your link!).

Yeah, I thought it ought to but I only spent 10 seconds looking and couldn't see it.

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have a solution for your HD movies and the fact you want to stream them from an ext hard-drive to ATV2...

Originally I wanted to do the same thing as you, have the TC as a storage device for my music and movies so I did exactly what you are doing (or have done!) and it worked fine for about a month then the whole drive crashed and I lost EVERYTHING. I would not recommend using TC as a storage device!

I figured there has to be a way for ATV to speak to an external drive and there is, through the TC on a jailbroken ATV with XBMC on it. So I then jailbroke the ATV2. I then connected my ATV2 via ethernet to my TC, and then my TC via USB to a 4TB external hard-drive with all my media on it. XMBC then picked up my TC and external hard-drive and I stream HD movies to it and it works like a dream. ATV2 must be connected by ethernet though to stream HD without a jitter. (Computer is not on for this). So, for movies this is the best solution I have and the user-interface on XMBC is gorgeous with really nice art-work and it is simple to use. Music on XMBC however is not working....yet.

Anyways just thought that might help but I'm afraid purchasing TC as a storage device was probably not the right thing to do, I learnt the hard way....

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hercules694 said:
Hello,

I have a solution for your HD movies and the fact you want to stream them from an ext hard-drive to ATV2...

Originally I wanted to do the same thing as you, have the TC as a storage device for my music and movies so I did exactly what you are doing (or have done!) and it worked fine for about a month then the whole drive crashed and I lost EVERYTHING. I would not recommend using TC as a storage device!

I figured there has to be a way for ATV to speak to an external drive and there is, through the TC on a jailbroken ATV with XBMC on it. So I then jailbroke the ATV2. I then connected my ATV2 via ethernet to my TC, and then my TC via USB to a 4TB external hard-drive with all my media on it. XMBC then picked up my TC and external hard-drive and I stream HD movies to it and it works like a dream. ATV2 must be connected by ethernet though to stream HD without a jitter. (Computer is not on for this). So, for movies this is the best solution I have and the user-interface on XMBC is gorgeous with really nice art-work and it is simple to use. Music on XMBC however is not working....yet.

Anyways just thought that might help but I'm afraid purchasing TC as a storage device was probably not the right thing to do, I learnt the hard way....

Thanks for that currently looking at jailbreaking my @tv with some software.... I could go down this route until i get a dedicated NAS. Why do you think your tc broke down?? Looking at firecore as this will look after the music as well. All is not lost with the tc 2tb of backup for £100ish as i needed a new router in the av room anyway, doesnt sound too bad. What was the outcome with your tc? Did apple look after you??

Thanks

John

XMB

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
As you know by now the TC is not the ideal media serving device and neither is the Apple TV the ideal media playback device!

However you can Jailbreak the ATV2 and install XBMC (for free) which then opens up the Apple TV to enable playback from a NAS or TC.

Given your Pioneer receiver is DLNA compatable it makes sense, when you can afford it, to obtain a NAS that supports media streaming and DLNA. As others have suggested the Synology DS212j is a good idea as is the WD My Book Live (Duo) devices. A NAS that supports RAID 1 is a good idea as this ensures the data is duplicated in case of a hard drive failure (e.g. the DS212j has 2 internal disks and one is a mirror of the other.)

With a suitable NAS you can use a DLNA control App such as Kinsky on your ipad to select music and videos on your NAS and make them play back on your receiver or ATV2 via XBMC. Works really well and bypasses any iTunes issues! This also ensures you don't need a PC or Mac switched on to serve up media (as long as it is not protected).

At the moment the WD TV Live is probably better value if you have a media streaming NAS over the ATV2.

A

Anonymous

Does anybody know how I can get Dolby Digital 5.1 to work from my apple tv 3 to my Sony str-dg280 receiver? I've set it up to dolby digital on as suggested on a website and tried using optical and hdmi. Works fine via sky hd and Blu-ray but not apple tv. I'm playing trailers direct from iTunes but no 5.1 coming through the amp

Batty

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED]

I don't have a lot of fancy kit, but have just won the above in a raffle, believe it or not - can it be used with my analogue Bang & Olufsen telly and Humax Freeview digi-box?

Batty

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I don't have a lot of fancy kit, but have just won the above in a raffle, believe it or not - can it be used with my analogue Bang & Olufsen telly and Humax Freeview digi-box?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts