Too tight to buy new!

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Good morning all, can you help?

System: Rega Planer 1, Marantz CD6500, Cyrus Three with PSX, Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

I am lucky enough to have a small man cave for my hifi about 3m square. So, tiny it may be but its all mine! I have recently been through an upgrade on my equipement although I am reluctant to change the amp for three reasons, it was given to me by my father, its in perfect working order and cost shed loads in the day. My problem is the speakers, I recently upgraded my ageing Tannoy R1's (they were lovely) to the Monitor Audio's. I made the cardinal mistake of not listening to them first as the reviews were great, but I cant listen to them for too long as they are so Bright, to the point that I can only play music via my iPhone with an equaliser setting to warm it up a bit, and I havent used the deck since. So they need to go, I need something that will not over power the small space but they must give me reasonable amount of bass, I know the cabinet size will dictate bass extension, but the Tannoys were surprising good. I was looking at a brand new boxed secondhand pair of Quad 11L's, or B&W 686, Trouble is I dont want to spend too much money, hence the second hand route!

Sorry for the essay, Help!!!

Muddywaterstones

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
How long have you got the Bronze 2? At first they do sound very tight, forward and metallic. Gradually, after a good 100 hours of use they open up, fill out and become enjoyable.

They may still be too forward for your tastes but if brand new I wouldn't give up hope yet.

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Had them for about three months, and given them a good airing. I did read (after I purchased them !) that a hard dome tweeter can sound a little too lively?Bass extension with them is very impressive though.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
GoodersGold said:
Had them for about three months, and given them a good airing. I did read (after I purchased them !) that a hard dome tweeter can sound a little too lively?Bass extension with them is very impressive though.

What's your budget and what type of music do you like? Do you use stands as this will also affect any advice?

insider9

You're likely to get a bigger financial hit when selling speakers. I'd guess they they could sell for just under £200 including postage via eBay. After fees etc. you'd have maybe £150 left on speakers you likely have paid for close to £300. If you were to sell an amp you'd probably get more money for it.

I understand the amp may have a sentimental value to you and that's fine. If it was me I'd be looking to swap the amp. For the money you'd get for it you'd be probably in a teritory of a Rega Brio R. It would be more than enough for size of the room, same small for factor but one box, good pairing with MA's and great match for your turntable.

EDIT

That's going in blind. If you answer Gazzip's question you're likely to get best answer.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Whenever I go to my local Audio-T, I also pop into the nearby Cash Convertors out of curiosity.

Last week I could have put together a system of a late 1990s NAD CD player + Marantz PM44SE + Mission bookshelf speakers for a total of about £150. (There were also some similarly priced and similar vintage KEFs.)

All this stuff was guaranteed (3 or 6 months I forget) and was generally in excellent condition.

One day I might find something interesting enough to walk out the shop with. (There are times I couldn't say the same about Audio-T!)

I am still pondering on the mint looking PM44SE for about £60. Might go nicely with my old JPW Sonatas in a second system.

A bit off-topic (sorry) but, yes, second-hand/bargain basement gear is interesting.

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi Gazzip,

Around the £300 mark, I think should get me something nice even if it is last years favourite if you know what i mean.

Good point on the stands, Atacama sand filled is whats being used right now.

If I could try to catergorise my music I would not have a name for it!! Try Miles Davis to Motorhead or Streisand to Suede I'm sure you get the idea. Thanks for your advice.

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I remember listening to the JPW's at a show, must be nearly 20 years ago, they were the next best thing to brown bread for the money, I had a pair of Mordant Short 20i Pearls at the time, (I think) they sounded lovely.

Ahhhh them were the days!

Having learned the hard way that buying speakers unheard/blind is risky, I'd hesitate to suggest you do it again. I'd suggest listening to the QA range, including the quite recently superseded models as they didnt seem overbright to me.

But don't buy without hearing again, and seriously you could do worse than hanging a piece of cloth over the front of the tweeters, or point then away from your listening position, or even try them upside down. That's all free!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
The Mission Cyrus 3 very transparent but overclinical? I used to have a Cyrus 2 (long time ago) - worked well with Monitor Audio speakers I had. I changed to ome smaller Titanium tweetered JBL speakers. The sound was just too hard edged to live with.

Get a nice soft domed tweetered pair of speakers.

good luck - tonky

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Never thought of putting some cloth over the tweeter, I will give that a go cause apart from the hardness they are very nice little speakers. The 3020 have a brilliant reputation and cheep too, cheers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
GoodersGold said:
Good morning all, can you help?

System: Rega Planer 1, Marantz CD6500, Cyrus Three with PSX, Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

I am lucky enough to have a small man cave for my hifi about 3m square. So, tiny it may be but its all mine! I have recently been through an upgrade on my equipement although I am reluctant to change the amp for three reasons, it was given to me by my father, its in perfect working order and cost shed loads in the day. My problem is the speakers, I recently upgraded my ageing Tannoy R1's (they were lovely) to the Monitor Audio's. I made the cardinal mistake of not listening to them first as the reviews were great, but I cant listen to them for too long as they are so Bright, to the point that I can only play music via my iPhone with an equaliser setting to warm it up a bit, and I havent used the deck since. So they need to go, I need something that will not over power the small space but they must give me reasonable amount of bass, I know the cabinet size will dictate bass extension, but the Tannoys were surprising good. I was looking at a brand new boxed secondhand pair of Quad 11L's, or B&W 686, Trouble is I dont want to spend too much money, hence the second hand route!

Sorry for the essay, Help!!!

Modern MAs are a bit of a 'marmite' speaker. Some people, myself included, find their character in the mid-highs to be a bit brash and uncomfortable, this goes for most if not all Bronze and Silver models. However others simply do not seem to hear this and their reputation remains high but if they do not work for you, you are not alone.

One thought, I do not think it is the tweeter that is the problem, I feel it is the bass/mid unit that causes the problems, possibly the breakup modes for the metal cone right in the middle of the 'presence' region.

GoodersGold

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
I had the chance to try an old Marantz 6010ose and I have to say the difference was quite staggering, the old Marantz gave me the sound I was looking for so the Cyrus will be put to one side, can't see me selling it as I'll probably only get peanuts for it. Going to try the PM6005, good reviews and a great partner for the CD player.

Thanks for your suggestions, I don't think I'd of changed the amp without them !

insider9

I'd say that vintage Marantz is much different to new. Personally I don't get along with the new Marantz gear although I quite enjoyed old PM66SE. The 6010OSE is a very decent choice for little money. If I was looking for a vintage amp for well under £100 it would be high on my list eventhough I've never had a pleasure to listen to one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts