Today I heard...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
True active speakers involve the use of an active crossover, with the individual amplifier sections controlling the speaker drivers directly.

Powered speakers, simply incorporate an amplifier/s into the same enclosure and use passive crossovers as in normal passive speakers.

matthewpiano

steve_1979 said:
matthewpiano said:
I certainly didn't think the KRK Rokit 5s were up to much, but I did quite like the 8s.

I can't remember which model of KRK's I listened too but I do remember thinking 'Meh' to myself after just a few seconds and moved on to the next set of speakers.

I've never heard the Yamaha's but after reading about your impressions I'd like too. I second RS's suggestion for auditioning Genelec and Acoustic Energy's speakers - they're both exellent IMO.

matthewpiano said:
Essentially I need a pair of actives for some recording/production work and songwriting but I feel it would be a good opportunity to also try some for my general music listening given the enthusiasm for them.

Out of interest how would you say the active Yamaha HS50 sounds compared to your Dali Zensor 1 speakers?

Difficult one because of the different settings etc. I'd say the Yamahas were more overtly detailed and open than the Zensor 1s and I think they give a clearer view of the recording. Interestingly I'd say the Zensors and the Yamahas are closer in sound than the Yamahas and the KRKs. This is, of course, only a general feeling - I haven't listened to the actives enough yet to make that sort of judgement accurately.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Thanks overdose....so primary difference is the crossovers...active vs passive...

that and that the amps are placed after active crossovers (as opposed to before passive crossovers) and therefore driving the drivers directly (not via the crossovers) - combination of these two features allows for several advantages of this design. even more so if not limited by poor drivers (drivers being the weakest link in the whole playback chain) . today it is relatively easy to transmit, convert, playback and amplify the signal perfectly (as even modest electronics are now capable of almost perfect performance) but still relatively difficult to transduce it into sound waves with the same precision.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
El Hefe said:
whats the definition of active speakers? are computer speakers with a power supply considered as active speakers ie Bose Companion for example?

Differences between passive, powered and active speakers

In a passive speaker system the low-level audio signal is first amplified by an external power amplifier before being sent to the speakers where the signal is split by a passive crossover into the appropriate frequency ranges before being sent to the individual drivers.

WikiPassive.jpg

A powered speaker works in exactly the same way as a passive speaker. The only difference is that rather than using an external amplifier, there is a power amplifier built into the speaker cabinet.

WikiPowered.jpg

In an active speaker system each driver has it's own specific power amplifier. The low-level audio signal is first sent through an active crossover to split the audio signal into the appropriate frequency ranges before being sent to the power amplifiers and then on to the drivers.

WikiActiveInternal.jpg

Most active speakers have the crossover and amplifiers built into the cabinet although some can have external crossovers and amplifiers. The actual location of the crossovers and amplifiers is irrelevant, so long as you still have the crossover to amplifiers to drivers hierarchy then it is still an active speaker system.

WikiActiveExternal.jpg

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Although on the thread you recently posted a link to re your wiki entry, wasn't there (near) consensus that your last diagram isn't strictly an active speaker?

Of course, if I had ATC speakers usingtheirs off board P4 or P6 amplification with external active crossover, I wouldn't care what it was defined as.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Although on the thread you recently posted a link to re your wiki entry, wasn't there (near) consensus that your last diagram isn't strictly an active speaker?

Technically the last diagram is an 'active system' because of the crossover configuration, but the loudspeakers are still passive, holding no electronics beyond voice coils.

matthewpiano

matthewpiano said:
steve_1979 said:
matthewpiano said:
I certainly didn't think the KRK Rokit 5s were up to much, but I did quite like the 8s.

I can't remember which model of KRK's I listened too but I do remember thinking 'Meh' to myself after just a few seconds and moved on to the next set of speakers.

I've never heard the Yamaha's but after reading about your impressions I'd like too. I second RS's suggestion for auditioning Genelec and Acoustic Energy's speakers - they're both exellent IMO.

matthewpiano said:
Essentially I need a pair of actives for some recording/production work and songwriting but I feel it would be a good opportunity to also try some for my general music listening given the enthusiasm for them.

Out of interest how would you say the active Yamaha HS50 sounds compared to your Dali Zensor 1 speakers?

Difficult one because of the different settings etc. I'd say the Yamahas were more overtly detailed and open than the Zensor 1s and I think they give a clearer view of the recording. Interestingly I'd say the Zensors and the Yamahas are closer in sound than the Yamahas and the KRKs. This is, of course, only a general feeling - I haven't listened to the actives enough yet to make that sort of judgement accurately.

Further thought Steve.... I'd say the Yamahas were closest to my Epos M5i, which I've pulled out for a few days. I would be very interested to do a back to back demonstration comparing the Epos with the active Yamahas...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts