To re-cable or not to re-cable...

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

First off, this is not a 'different cables do/don't make a difference' discussion, so please post those sort of comments on other threads... I am looking for product advice/recommendations, not the usual 'cable' debate.

I am currently planning a major kit rack move, and will need to re-run all my speaker cable around the room. I am therefore wondering if it is worth upgrading the cables before re-siting them, given they have not been upgrade since I upgrade the other parts of my system.

I currently have the older version of QED Silver Anniversary. Given the kit shown in my sig, can anyone recommend a replacement speaker cable, that might improve the sound quality?

I have considered the Chord Carnival Silverscreen, but don't want to lay out the cash is there is no real improvement over the current QED cable.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Spending money on good cable is never a bad idea. The Cable I am using (sig) is pretty good! But any cable that wont allow oxidation is going to be pretty good. Just depends on your budget and also the speakers and kit you are upgrading to.

No point spending £500 on cable if your system costs 1k.... just an example.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
Spending money on good cable is never a bad idea. The Cable I am using (sig) is pretty good! But any cable that wont allow oxidation is going to be pretty good. Just depends on your budget and also the speakers and kit you are upgrading to.

No point spending £500 on cable if your system costs 1k.... just an example.

Thanks for the reply Duaplex, just to clarify the details in my sig are 'post' upgrade. The amp, as you know, is circa £2k retail, and the speakers are around £8k retail - hence why I am wondering if the QED, which is relatively 'enty level' has now become the weakest link in the chain, and might be worthy of an upgrade.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Did you buy all/most of your (excellent!) kit from the same retailer? If so, I'd ask them to let you trial some new cable - even if you just experiment with fresh runs to the fronts to see if you hear an improvement, before you committ to any extra spend.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Did you buy all/most of your (excellent!) kit from the same retailer? If so, I'd ask them to let you trial some new cable - even if you just experiment with fresh runs to the fronts to see if you hear an improvement, before you committ to any extra spend.

Thanks for the advice Clare. No unfortunately all items are from different places and purchased at different times. I guess I could buy a couple of lengths and test with the front L/R , but that'd be about 12 metres, and if I go for something a bit pricier (say £10-£20/m) it works out quite a pricey test if the results aren't up to scratch.

Do you have any suggestions for a potential short list?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
gdavies09031977 said:
Clare Newsome said:

Thanks for the advice Clare. No unfortunately all items are from different places and purchased at different times. I guess I could buy a couple of lengths and test with the front L/R , but that'd be about 12 metres, and if I go for something a bit pricier (say £10-£20/m) it works out quite a pricey test if the results aren't up to scratch.

I've upgraded to Chord Odyssey to the Front three, but have kept the old Chord Carnival for the rears.

The step up in performance for the fronts was a giant leap in terms of outright detail, timing and spaciousness.

Also have bi amped Front L&R and bi wired the Centre, all to very good effect

Yes, it cost a few pennies (about £200.00 or so) but if you shop around (fleabay, HI Fi Cables people like that) there are some good deals out there, they all want some of the pie, as it were.

Definitely worth an upgrade for your kit IMO

gdavies09031977 said:
Hi all,

First off, this is not a 'different cables do/don't make a difference' discussion, so please post those sort of comments on other threads... I am looking for product advice/recommendations, not the usual 'cable' debate.

I am currently planning a major kit rack move, and will need to re-run all my speaker cable around the room. I am therefore wondering if it is worth upgrading the cables before re-siting them, given they have not been upgrade since I upgrade the other parts of my system.

I currently have the older version of QED Silver Anniversary. Given the kit shown in my sig, can anyone recommend a replacement speaker cable, that might improve the sound quality?

I have considered the Chord Carnival Silverscreen, but don't want to lay out the cash is there is no real improvement over the current QED cable.

Hi gdavies0901977

You can have an improvement for very little money. Standard/basic 500 strand OFC speaker cable is imo about as good as it gets. Fwiw, i use these cables with amplification such as the Plinius Odean and Hiato. As i write this i got these cables connected to a Krell FPB600 power amplifier and Monitor Audio GX200 speakers and it sounds superb :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi gdavies0901977

You can have an improvement for very little money. Standard/basic 500 strand OFC speaker cable is imo about as good as it gets. Fwiw, i use these cables with amplification such as the Plinius Odean and Hiato. As i write this i got these cables connected to a Krell FPB600 power amplifier and Monitor Audio GX200 speakers and it sounds superb :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. I have been thinking of going with an all copper cable rather than silver coated. My speakers are incredibly detailed and analytical, and whilst I don't want to lose this, it would be nice to give a little more focus to the mid-range, which I would hope copper would achieve where silver is known to boost the top end more.

I know from other threads you advocate budget cables over the heavily marketed/branded stuff - and I'm not adverse to that myself, I just want to be sure of the quality of the materials used, which I think is a bit more of a minefield at the budget end.

Is there a particular brand of the 500 strand copper that you know to be particularly good quality?

I have also seen combination cables which include several hundred strands wrapped around a solid core. Have you tried this, and are there any benefits from this over a fully stranded cable? Here is an example of what I mean.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
fayeanddavid said:
gdavies09031977 said:
Clare Newsome said:

I've upgraded to Chord Odyssey to the Front three, but have kept the old Chord Carnival for the rears.

The step up in performance for the fronts was a giant leap in terms of outright detail, timing and spaciousness.

Also have bi amped Front L&R and bi wired the Centre, all to very good effect

Yes, it cost a few pennies (about £200.00 or so) but if you shop around (fleabay, HI Fi Cables people like that) there are some good deals out there, they all want some of the pie, as it were.

Definitely worth an upgrade for your kit IMO

Thanks for the recommendation fayeanddavid. Did you test the Chord Odyssey before you bi-amped? Just wondering if your step-up in SQ was mainly due to the speaker cable other bi-amping, and if you noticed a difference with the cable change alone?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I can recommend Van Damme LC-OFC 4.0mm Hi Fi Loudspeaker Cable, which I use with my speakers. You can get it on Ebay for a reasonable price/metre.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ah there we go now I see your signature, Its impressive! I would go with what you have been told here so far. Rick is right you could upgrade for relatively cheap. But the more you spend the better results you will achieve. I would buy the best cable you can afford. Of course you will need to read up on reviews or ask the retailer, as suggested by Clare, if you can trial it. You never know you may find that they are willing! If not reviews on this site are pretty accurate.

The cable I have will do well in your system! Its not cheap, about £10 a meter but its sounds good! Its thin too and carries minimal resistance for clear sound!

gdavies09031977 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi gdavies0901977

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks for the suggestion Rick. I have been thinking of going with an all copper cable rather than silver coated. My speakers are incredibly detailed and analytical, and whilst I don't want to lose this, it would be nice to give a little more focus to the mid-range, which I would hope copper would achieve where silver is known to boost the top end more.

I know from other threads you advocate budget cables over the heavily marketed/branded stuff - and I'm not adverse to that myself, I just want to be sure of the quality of the materials used, which I think is a bit more of a minefield at the budget end.

Is there a particular brand of the 500 strand copper that you know to be particularly good quality?

I have also seen combination cables which include several hundred strands wrapped around a solid core. Have you tried this, and are there any benefits from this over a fully stranded cable? Here is an example of what I mean.

Hi gdavies0901977

Your welcome.

Yes, i know the presentation of M&K speakers as i used to work at a dealership that stocks them :)

Anyway these stanadard cables are generic and these 500 strand OFC speaker cables shoud be also be available in local electrical stores. I'll recommend using cables with just a basic internal configuration.

Standard speaker cables are of simple construction and easy to use. Fwiw, one of the amplifers i am currently using these cables with is a Krell FPB600 power amplifier. Simply put i don't sense the cables are holding the FPB600 back. As i also said in my previous post i feel these speaker cables are about as good as they get! Simple is best.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex said:
Ah there we go now I see your signature, Its impressive! I would go with what you have been told here so far. Rick is right you could upgrade for relatively cheap. But the more you spend the better results you will achieve.

Hi duaplex

Thanks however i would not recommend too much money speaker cables.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
See thats interesting you say that Rick, There certainly is divided opinion on wiring. But you being the retailer i will not argue :)

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Come on guys, let's not start that debate - I started this thread, so I'm taking ownership of it - all I want is suggestions of appropriate cable options for which I am very grateful of the suggestions made so far, but would always welcome more. . .

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed on this forum that many poeple ask for advice, but then don't post back with their own findings and eventual decision, so I thought I'd buck the trand and tell you what I decided on.

In the end I went for some Van Damme 6mm2 UPOFC copper cable. This stuff

For me this struck the right balance between the bargain basement unbranded copper cable, and the silly price branded stuff coated in precious metals at £20/m. The fact thats its branded, and from a company with its roots in professional audio gave me some reassurance that it is a product made with good quality materials (even if I don't necessarily buy into the "linear formation of copper crystals for better signal transmission"!!), rather than the cheap unbranded stuff that could (for all I know) be made from Chinese copper from World War 2, melted down with some brass for good measure!

I also chose it on the basic assumption that the greater the cross sectional area of the conductor, the less resistance and therefore the better electrical tramission between the amp and speaker. At 6mm2cross sectional area they are quite chunky, having 777 0.1mm individual copper strands, but still under 4mm diameter, so they still (just) fit nicely in my banana plugs.

Now all I have to do is pull up the bloody carpet (yet again) and route them all around the lounge! The wife will be pleased!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you have probably done the right thing. If at a (much) later date, you wish to upgrade to a better cable, imo. it only needs to be for the front three speakers (so less disruption).

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you have probably done the right thing. If at a (much) later date, you wish to upgrade to a better cable, imo. it only needs to be for the front three speakers (so less disruption).

True, though to be honest, given that this is a movie only system, I think I will be hard pushed to find a cable that will produce an audible improvement. In a dedicated stereo music set-up with full range speakers, maybe, but not when 7 channels and a sub are firing bullets at you.

That said, I have yet to install them and see if I notice a difference, so I will post back in a week or so with any findings.

A

Anonymous

What were your findings as I am after some cable for my first system and my head is of.cables etca mess with the vast number

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
I found the Van Damme cable to be superb (and smooth sounding) at the lower end of the budget, Chord Odyssey to be excellent (detailed, spacious, etc.) but a little bright (being silver-coated) with my previous Monitor Audio speakers, and now I have Tellurium Q Black, which is the best all-round cable I have tried - but not cheap!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts