To Project or not to Project?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Having had a 50" Plasma for a long time I have come to that point where I feel the need to go bigger where Movies are concerned and get the real cinematic feel to movie time at home by adding a projector, but i don't know if my room is big enough?

I live in a "standard" 1930's semi and the TV sits in the window bay with my viewing position aprox 12ft away. My idea/plan was to leave all current equipment exactly where it is and keep the Plaz for day to day viewing and instal a manual dropdown screen that will come down just infront of the TV and have the Projector on a shelf on the rear wall just behind my viewing position at aprox 13ft from the screen as I don't want to have to mount the PJ onto the celling. Will the PJ be OK like this or must I use a cellings mount? if the PJ is ok on a shelf, at what hight in relation to the screen must in be aligned? top? Middle or bottom?

Then there is which PJ to go for within my £1500 budget! I'm split 50/50 on if 3D will last but am thinking I may as well get a PJ that is 3D if I can so I thought maybe either the Epson EH-TW6000(lcd) or the Optoma HD33(DLP), has anyone seen either or preferibly both in action? or am I better to forget about 3D if I can get a much better 2D PJ within my budget as only a small amount of my viewing would be in 3D?

Screen size I was thinking of aprox 6ft wide 16:9 screen and using the throw ratio of the Epson of 1.3-2.15 and a 6ft screen by my caculations I can place the PJ between 7.8/12.9ft away from the screen to fill the 6FT screen, right?

So any help?

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
go for projector but you will defo need a ceiling mount it think as with the one i bought you can adjust the arm with a shelf you cant adjust it

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We had the 6000 in store and it is a good unit - very bright and a real improvment on previous projectors we have seen at this price. If 3D is not on your agenda you will get a better overall 2D picture if you opt for the Epson 4400. It is just outwith your budget but if you can extend it you will see the benefits.

As for placement there is no lens shift on the 6000 - only keystone that I would advise against. The unit will need to go in the middle of the screen horizontally and if it is on a shelf - low down at the back. I am trying to download the manual to check exactly how the image is displayed. If you could use a bracket you will probably have an easier time of it. The 4400 does have lens shift so that would also help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts