To Preamp and Power amp or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok, so I'm really impressed with this mighty PM7001KI Sig and I only paid peanuts for it which makes it even better value, but in order to reach the next plateau of driving my speakers better should I resign this wonderful integrated amp to nothing more than just a preamp?

I've been offered some tasty premium brand (dare I say high-end) Power amp options, all of which offer in excess of 100w of power per channel. I won't have to pay more than £150 for second user kit that normally would cost 3 - 5 times as much so should I not look a gift horse in the mouth?

Will I stand to gain more from my bi-wire setup if I go down this road or should I stick with the Marantz amp in it's integrated form?

Any suggestions?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Why consider putting your integrated to a 'pre-amp' state when you could use the integraated as part of a bi-amp system.

Using the integrated to power the HF and the power amp to power the LF on the speakers

A

Anonymous

They are older models IIRC on of them is Quad 606 and the other is a Musical Fidelity (can't remember) and the third is a TAG McLaren P100 (or somethig like that).

A

Anonymous

If I choose to bi-amp, I'd need two of the three.

Alternatively, the PM7001 KI has two sets of speaker terminals.

Would it be possible to drive say the either the hi/mids or bass through the Marantz and the other through one of the power amps?

Would this completely negate any positive effect of using it as a preamp only?

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Why consider putting your integrated to a 'pre-amp' state when you could use the integraated as part of a bi-amp system. Using the integrated to power the HF and the power amp to power the LF on the speakers

Oops, I didn't see this post before I wrote my last one.

A

Anonymous

I guess I should just choose one and try the LF and HF on each to see what configuration suits the individual amps the best.

Is more power the automatic reason/choice for partnering the power amp for the LF?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts