To Clean or Not to Clean........That is the Question.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
After some advice on how best,if at all to clean my LP's

Looking on the Rega website, they advise not to clean LP's and let the stylus take care of the removal of dust etc from the vinyl and then I tae it clean the stylus rather than the LP. However I have noticed on here that the majority of people do clean their records.

So am I best to give my LP's (especially the ones I have bought second hand) a bit of a clean and what is the best way to do this? Also what is the best way of cleaning my stylus? Also how often should you (if you decide to) clean LP's and stylus?

Recommendation on relevant products would also be appreciated :)

I think commonsense has to prevail - I only clean a record as and when I feel it needs it (loads of dust , fingermarks etc) with a proper record cleaning fluid and a vinyl duster. But use it sparingly. Remember, if a record does not need cleaning, leave well alone.

Regards the stylus, I have a little brush (these are purchased at any good music store).

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you got a local record store? I get every one of my Lp's cleaned as I buy them (unless new obviously), whether I buy them off tinternet or from my local record shop.

The local shop offers a record cleaning service for £2 per lp. For this it is placed on the keith Monks (I think) record cleaner and then placed in a new inner sleeve with a protective PVC jacket for the whole album sleeve. Very good VFM as well. I often end up buying a few LP's whilst there as well, which get cleaned FOC.

Then after that its just good housekeeping with the records.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I used to take my second hand LPs to a record shop to get them cleaned on one of those machines - it cost me £1 for each LP. They did a great job.

Then I got one of these

I clean all of the s/h ones on it now. I got 5 at a record fair on Saturday which will get the treatment soon

There are a number of suggestions here in this forum for how to mix your own replacement solution

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
At the basic and value end you have some spray and wipe solutions - the Milty products are excellent in this regard. Nothing beats a proper wet vacuum record machine clean though and even new records can benefit from this as the stamper in production sometimes leaves a very thin film on the surface that a wet clean will remove.

Make sure to always brush your records before play with either something like the Pro-Ject Brush It or Milty Exstatic brush and keep your stylus clean - the Clearaudio Elixir of Sound is an inexpensive and effective stylus cleaner that'll keep dust and muck out of the grooves.

Enjoy the music!
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Don't listen to the Stuburn Rega guys, but buy a record cleaner such as the Okki Nokki. After a clean up your records will be antistatic and free from dust and other contaminations. The needle will really enjoy this and you can actually hear a more clean soundquality in the form of bigger dynamics (s/n is better) and sweeter treble.

Robin

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Guys,

Well seeing as its my birthday in 6 weeks time....it looks like I know what I will be asking for :)

Bearing in mind I have been buying a lot of vinyl from charity shops recently....it certainly wouldnt do any harm to give them all a clean and then a quick brush before playing.

A

Anonymous

First of all, you need to prepare the entire area that you are going to use for the cleaning process. You need to properly cover the cooking area and other electronic gadgets so that they don't get damaged. cleaner poole

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts