To Blue Ray or not Blue Ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi advice/comments on teh following would be appreciated:

I have an INFOCUS IN78, projected on to a 100" screen. Currently using a Sony DAV S550 as the source.

I am in teh process of upgrading the sound portion by using a LINN AV5103 to integrate with my LINN Aktiv system.

I also am trying to decide which way to go with the source, either an upscaling DVD player or should I go for a Blue Ray player, even though the IN78 is not Full HD.

One other thing to consider is that the AV5103 does not have HDMI connections, so I will need the Blue Ray player to output audio either via analogue or digital audio cable.

Thanks

Scott

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Even tho your projector is not full HD you will notice huge differance when Viewing a Blu-Ray over a DVD (especially on a 100" screen) and it will also upscale you DVD's to 720p/1080i.

Maybe have a look at the Panasonic BD55 or the New Pioneer at around £400 as both of these also have analog outputs for your sound option.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely go Blu-Ray, may 'only' be 720p, but on a big screen like that you'll really notice the difference.

Considering the amp, you'll want to get a player which can decode onboard and output PCM via multichannel analogue like the Sony BDP-S550.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for teh quick feedback. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking.

Will give bith the Sony and Panasonic a closer look!

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Well went looking here in Kuala Lumpur where I live for a Sony and Panasonic!

The Sony BDP-S350 costs the equivilent of 450 GBP here!

No Panasonic DMP-BD35, however I found a BD30 at 320 GBP, with a 5 BD vochour included.

However the BD30 has no analouge output for my Linn AV5103.

Also as Asia is the same region BD wise as the USA buying a player from the UK is not really an option.

I can by a multi region modified S350 via ebay etc for the same price as one here. Which may be the best option as I move every couple years with work, and already have a mixed bag region wise for a dvd collection.

Loads of PS3's here at reasonable prices, but again the issue with audio output!

Any suggestions?

Thinking I will wait a couple of months to see if the prices start to work their way down to something a bit more realsitic or bite the bullet for a multi region BD via ebay etc.

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts