To Apex or not to Apex

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at speaker packages. I've demo'd a few over the last couple of weeks, and thanks to everyone that gave advice on this forum. I had more or less settled on RX6 as left right and centre. I found the RX-FX are just too bulky for my taste, plus the Mrs doesn't like them so I'm now looking for rear sat options.

Would RX6 front left, right and centre work well with apex as rear sats?

Whats also put a slight spanner in the works is someone demo'd me a 5.1 apex set up. It sounded amazing while watching movies, but I didn't get to hear it play music.

I listen to bands such as Porcupine Tree, Pearl Jam, Feeder and Metallica. Would the apex do this music justice or would I be better off sticking to my original plan of floor standers?

I do plan to go back for another demo, but I would appreciate your advice.

I have a Yamaha RX-A2020 receiver and my living room measures 3.6 x 7m, with a kitchen at one end and settee/tv at the other. I watch more tv/films then music, but I intend listening to more music once I've decided on speakers.

Many thanks

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As a devoted Apex owner myself, my two cents says you'd be better rewarded with the RX6 for your music needs, without doubt. The A10's are transparent and have a nice rythm to them, but for your type of music I'm thinking you'd simply need more, and the RX6 ought to fit the bill. I mean for me, listening to music on Apex I'm never satisfied with just a stereopair of A10's playing, this is why I always use multi channel stereo to utilize all speakers in the package, including the subwoofer, go get that roomfilling sound for the music. But with the bigger RX6 I'd think they'd be roomfilling enough. For movies, I personally perfer a sub/sat solution to floorstanders, so all-in-all an Apex package is a good "compromise" between the two, but for the best in 2-channel it's RX6 hands down.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
dukeden said:
Interesting hearing your thoughts, and appreciate your honesty. Do you think I could use apex as the rear sat speakers?

Now this greatly depends on your experience with hifi and your expectations. The apex system will perform well, just not as good as the RX6 for music, as said above. But again, if you have never had floor stands I doubt you will be disappointed. It's certainly better than your car speakers or all in one hifi system :) in case you was worried.

When you say Apex for rears, are your fronts the RX6? If so go for the RXFX on the walls IMHO. Don't mix the apex and RX, they are different in presentation.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree with above. Try avoid mixing models that way, stay with the RX-FX rears if you descide on that path. This will simply give you a more cohesive sound presentation which is so essential.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I was thinking of RX6 front left and right with apex rears. But this doesn't sound like it's a viable option. I guess I'll have to go with the RXFX should I decide on the RX6. I'll see if I can get a demo with the RX6 and Apex this week and let you know how it goes.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard it yet, but will take a listen at some point. I was lucky enough to see them at their Royal Albert Hall concert last year.....amazing!!

Have looked at the radius, but not very keen on the styling, thanks for the suggestion though.

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm now the owner of a pair of shinny new RX6's, they sound amazing :grin: . One problem though, the centre speaker really doesn't fit in, it's just too big and bulky looking!! I've bought the RX6's and have the RX centre on loan, I'm not prepared to buy the RX centre. As I see it I now have 2 options,

1, Listen to my tv just through the RX6's, which is a major improvement than the tv's dinky little speakers

or

2, Buy a Apex A40 centre speaker in place of the RX centre, which with it's sleek looks won't look out of place. I know it wouldn't work as well as the RX, but would this be a better option then option 1?

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have Mezzo 6 and 1 about 6 years, they are good but they sounds a lit bit sharp on bass especially mezzo 1 , all I can do is increase cross over frequency to 160 on mezzo 1 as surround, bass become a little bit less sharp.

My question is how does A 10 sound ?? is it sharp bass or softer ?

Would it be better go for A10 as surround instead of mezzo 1 or go for RX FX ??

My centre is B& W HTM 62, which has not super bass if I select it as large, better sound is when put it as small and 100 hertz cross freq.

How does A 40 centre sounds ?

I use Yamaha RX A 2010

Many thanks.

surroundman

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

IS there any difference in sound performance if Apex speakers are fix on the wall VS. if there are on original stand ???

Many thanks.

Stefan428

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am having exactly the same problem as you at the moment, the similarities are really funny!

Living room: 3,5m by about 7m, kitchen on one end, seating area on the other end with the sofa against the wall and the tv against the oppoosite wall.
I want to buy a pair of RX6s and can get them for a good price. But my gf is very unhappy with the size of the RXC and the RXFX. And honestly, the RXC is just quite big and bulky.

I came up with replacing the RXC and RXFX with the apex A40 and A10, but I am not sure how it will sound. And honestly. I've been trying to find other people who have listened to the combi, but without succes.

So, I know this thread is 9 months old, but how did you solve your situation? Did you get the A40? Have you managed to listen to the combination of apex and silver series?? I'm hoping to maybe get the RX6s tomorrow or tuesday so I'm dying to find more info online! :)

TRENDING THREADS