Tivo and Dolby Digital

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Help :help:

Can I get DD 5.1 over HDMI from my Tivo box?

I can do it via optical but I get horrible pops and squeaks when changing channels on HD channels. I can only get sound via HDMI if I select DD to PCM which is only in stereo.

Virgin media are very unhelpful and I am on the verge of cancelling even though I like the Tivo features. :cry:

Thanks

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Crossie, yes you can get DD 5.1 over HDMI, that's how I do it on my TiVo box. From memory I think you have to manually override the default audio setting in the sound menu, but I'll need to check at home tonight to clarify.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Just checked mine - I use Dolby Digital (not DD to PCM) in the Settings/audio menu. It automatically goes out via the HDMI.

I remember I had to check the audio input settings on my a/v receiver to ensure that it was looking at the hdmi input for sound.

I also have the optical digital audio cable connected, which is connected direct from TiVo to my Cyrus preamp, so I can listen to Spotify in stereo from TiVo whilst having blank tv screen.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks DC. After lots of playing around I can get sound on SD channels but not HD. I have the Tivo set to Dolby Digital and My AV receiver Marantz NR1501 set to input sound via HDMI. Still at a loss :boohoo:

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Still no luck :cry:

Nobody at Virgin seems to have any understanding of the Audio outputs from a Tivo box. I have made five phone calls and as yet I have not found anyone who can confirm that Tivo does support Dolby Digital over HDMI, let alone how to implement it.

Anybody know if the Dolby to PCM setting supports multi channel over HDMI on a Tivo box? :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts