Tintin...forgot how good it was

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just saw Tintin again. What a quality production in every aspect and a super test disc that holds up very well indeed in comparison to James Cameron's reasonably well-known motion capture film with blue people. I have very mixed feelings about some of Spielberg's recent films, but IMO (which of course counts for nothing whatsoever) this is a showcase for his talents.

Sonically it has it all; beautifully clear speech (itself pretty outstanding in many Hollywood productions), lots of surround steering effects, aeroplanes, thunderstorms, surging seas, canons, plenty of LFE workouts and a punchy classical score underpinning it all. Lots going on and works out all aspects of your system. I couldn't help seeing the similarities with Indiana Jones before I saw this referenced in the extras.

But visually it's awesome too. The lighting (particularly strong sunlight and backlighting) is beautifully real and natural, but some of the set pieces are still magnificent: such as the ship surging over the sand in Haddock's dream.

It'll be interesting to see whether movies 2&3 hit the screens in time, as originally planned. I think Tintin was under-appreciated by the box office at the time. I think it could be a classic that people may value more with hindsight. But viewing it again, I appreciated the production quality as highly as the entertainment. Top drawer.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Leeps said:
Just saw Tintin again.  What a quality production in every aspect and a super test disc that holds up very well indeed in comparison to James Cameron's reasonably well-known motion capture film with blue people.  I have very mixed feelings about some of Spielberg's recent films, but IMO (which of course counts for nothing whatsoever) this is a showcase for his talents.

Sonically it has it all; beautifully clear speech (itself pretty outstanding in many Hollywood productions), lots of surround steering effects, aeroplanes, thunderstorms, surging seas, canons, plenty of LFE workouts and a punchy classical score underpinning it all.  Lots going on and works out all aspects of your system.  I couldn't help seeing the similarities with Indiana Jones before I saw this referenced in the extras.

But visually it's awesome too.  The lighting (particularly strong sunlight and backlighting) is beautifully real and natural, but some of the set pieces are still magnificent: such as the ship surging over the sand in Haddock's dream.

It'll be interesting to see whether movies 2&3 hit the screens in time, as originally planned.  I think Tintin was under-appreciated by the box office at the time.  I think it could be a classic that people may value more with hindsight.  But viewing it again, I appreciated the production quality as highly as the entertainment.  Top drawer.

I remember how good it was but cant remember it.

Ill give it another go on bluray

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You know how some films are really well produced but are still rubbish films, well thankfully Tintin (or phonetically Tantan to the Belgian and French among us), is very watchable with a well-written script underpinning the sonic and visual smorgasbord that it is.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts