Tin hat time!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Why is it an endgame?

Regards,

Shadders.

Well made, overkill really. Why would you need more? 
Hi,

I would suggest that a standard Belkin is sufficient.  The standard to which CAT5 cables are manufactured to, ensures compatibility and performance despite cost. I suppose the more money you pay, the better people feel.  And no one would sell a cable at exorbitant prices. It would just, not be right.....

Regards,

Shadders.

The real weak point for me in ethernet cables are the cheap rubbish rj connectors. I've ruined many of them. Also I've never abused power or speaker cable like I have CAT5.
Hi,

Yes - i have a laptop and the RJ45 socket failed after 3 months - brittle pins. I would have thought for hifi, it is plug in once and let it remain in place. 

Regards,

Shadders. 

Audiophiles fiddle with gear constantly. Plug in, unplug, swap, repeat. I've had several ethernet cables fail, not just the connectors. 

Ive also had problems with this. Very good quality cat7 is still not very expensive so why not use it anyway. I would and will.

Ita not the same as paying thousands for speaker cable and thinking its an upgrade.

Was at a speaker factory rhe other day and most here wouldnt believe how thin the cable is inside the speaker connecting the woofer and tweeter to the cross over.
On another note.
But id be happy to try cat7

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Why is it an endgame?

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I would suggest that a standard Belkin is sufficient. The standard to which CAT5 cables are manufactured to, ensures compatibility and performance despite cost. I suppose the more money you pay, the better people feel. And no one would sell a cable at exorbitant prices. It would just, not be right.....

Regards,

Shadders.

The real weak point for me in ethernet cables are the cheap rubbish rj connectors. I've ruined many of them. Also I've never abused power or speaker cable like I have CAT5.
Hi,

Yes - i have a laptop and the RJ45 socket failed after 3 months - brittle pins. I would have thought for hifi, it is plug in once and let it remain in place.

Regards,

Shadders.

Audiophiles fiddle with gear constantly. Plug in, unplug, swap, repeat. I've had several ethernet cables fail, not just the connectors.

Ive also had problems with this. Very good quality cat7 is still not very expensive so why not use it anyway. I would and will.

Ita not the same as paying thousands for speaker cable and thinking its an upgrade.

Was at a speaker factory rhe other day and most here wouldnt believe how thin the cable is inside the speaker connecting the woofer and tweeter to the cross over. On another note. But id be happy to try cat7
Hi Both,

I never mess about with my setup. The wire entanglement is too much or a problem.

With the wire within speakers - yes, people never think about this, as it is out of sight, out of mind. Nor do they know what is inside the amplifier. Tracks carrying the amplifier output signal may be 2oz copper, possibly 4oz copper, with relay contacts too, and yet cables make a significant difference - supposedly.

I know I am sarcastic, mickey taking, or satirical, but it is never meant in a nasty or vindictive manner. It is trying to provoke a thought, or get people to question things. We all tend to just exist and function without much thinking, or follow a repeatable behaviour pattern or attitude. Maybe the disagreements here on the forum will be of benefit.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Why is it an endgame?

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I would suggest that a standard Belkin is sufficient. The standard to which CAT5 cables are manufactured to, ensures compatibility and performance despite cost. I suppose the more money you pay, the better people feel. And no one would sell a cable at exorbitant prices. It would just, not be right.....

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Was at a speaker factory rhe other day and most here wouldnt believe how thin the cable is inside the speaker connecting the woofer and tweeter to the cross over. On another note. But id be happy to try cat7
Hi Both,

I never mess about with my setup. The wire entanglement is too much or a problem.

With the wire within speakers - yes, people never think about this, as it is out of sight, out of mind. Nor do they know what is inside the amplifier. Tracks carrying the amplifier output signal may be 2oz copper, possibly 4oz copper, with relay contacts too, and yet cables make a significant difference.

I know I am sarcastic, mickey taking, or satirical, but it is never meant in a nasty or vindictive manner. It is trying to provoke a thought, or get people to question things. We all tend to just exist and function without much thinking, or follow a repeatable behaviour pattern or attitude. Maybe the disagreements here on the forum will be of benefit.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I know I can hear differences and you have no right to insult me with ridicule and blind skepticism, sir.

Cheerio

shadders

Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
shadders said:
Vladimir said:
Hi,

Why is it an endgame?

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi Both,

With the wire within speakers - yes, people never think about this, as it is out of sight, out of mind. Nor do they know what is inside the amplifier. Tracks carrying the amplifier output signal may be 2oz copper, possibly 4oz copper, with relay contacts too, and yet cables make a significant difference.

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

I know I can hear differences and you have no right to insult me with ridicule and blind skepticism, sir.

Cheerio
Hi,

I am offended by your being offended at my offending mickey taking which was not meant to offend. Oh well, too much political correctness, seems to be a replacement for authoritarianism.

Regards,

Shadders.

Edit: this was a joke *wacko*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:

To be fair, I have always been impressed by RJxx (registered jack) connectors. They date back to the mid 70s and the reign of ATT / Bell system in the US. They come in many flavours, with RJ11 (used mainly in analogue phone systems) and RJ45 (these days used mainly for ethernet).

They are very cheap, can be fitted with a single crimp and have strain relief built in. They were never really designed for multiple re-plugging - it was a 'plug once and forget' design. The fact they cope pretty well with repeated use is a testament to their design.

Only real criticism is that it is a fiddle to get the conductors on the right sequence when sliding a cable into a plug prior to crimping.

shadders

andyjm said:
Vladimir said:

To be fair, I have always been impressed by RJxx (registered jack) connectors. They date back to the mid 70s and the reign of ATT / Bell system in the US. They come in many flavours, with RJ11 (used mainly in analogue phone systems) and RJ45 (these days used mainly for ethernet).

They are very cheap, can be fitted with a single crimp and have strain relief built in. They were never really designed for multiple re-plugging - it was a 'plug once and forget' design. The fact they cope pretty well with repeated use is a testament to their design.

Only real criticism is that it is a fiddle to get the conductors on the right sequence when sliding a cable into a plug prior to crimping.
Hi,

This makes you wonder why they put them on laptops - laptop are by their very nature - mobile, so plugging in and out of the sockets frequently will be standard, so it does make the provision of weaker sockets a problem - taking apart a laptop to replace one is a pain.

Regards,

Shadders.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ideal laptop ethernet sockets.

-font-b-RJ45-b-font-waterproof-font-b-connector-b-font-plugs-and-sockets-font.jpg

TRENDING THREADS