Timing

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Romulus said:
Timing it will be the same whether music played via High End HiFi or a workman's small screechy transistor radio ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwst1-75663-gb-dab-fm-xr-bluetooth-toughsystem-sound-centre-radio-240v/2292k

The last owner of one of these that I knew would have re-modelled your knees with an angle grinder for describing it as ‘screechy’.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
This thread is a very good example why sound Quality cannot be measured in all it's glory. Now how do we measure exaggerated timing (NAIM) and real timing. Well go figure.. *mosking*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:
Anthem has one integrated on their website and it looks like a beast. Also a couple of stereo power amps and a pre.

Plus a 1kW mono bloc *shok*

I did hear their very expensive AV Processor/AV Power Amp. Highly impressive for AV, but less musical for 2 Channel than the Arcam Processor/Power Amp (imo).

I wouldn't have a clue where to put an Anthem Stereo amp...I've never read a review, or read about anyone who owns one. If it sounds like their AV amp, it would be fairly neutral, with little or no edginess.

I was referring to my MRX710 which is indeed a 7.1 amp. I heard it first at the Bristol Show a few years ago powering some Paradigm speakers. It was the best thing I heard all day. It did help that the demo was the best organised and informative too. Really sad not to see Anthem at this year's show. Neutral yes, a natural tone, sweet top end, well controlled bass and very musical, providing of course you're not negating all that with the speaker choice. So to my taste it just ticked all the boxes.

The other bonus from my point of view is the room correction as my room is very problematic. I think a non-eq'd stereo amp without tone controls (like many are) would struggle in my room.

The fact that it does surround too is a bonus.

But the Paradigms I listened to a few years ago were really lovely. From memory they were about 1 to 1.5k for the standmount upwards. They swapped between 2.0 floorstanders and 2.1 standmounts. They had a wonderful balance of excitement and slam when called for without being harsh or brittle. If my Ruarks did ever pop their clogs, I'd take a pretty close look at Paradigm if I locate a demo as they're not too common in the UK.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The thing I noticed most when I first upgraded my old 80s NAD amp to an Audiolab 8000A many years ago was the timing. It kinda took me by surprise, suddenly all the musicians sounded more proficient, more precise and not a loose as I imagined they had been. Drums in particular sounded amazing and really accurate, and I found myself rediscovering my music collection (that old Hifi cliché) Personally I loved the improvement from the NAD to the Audiolab and since then understood the importance of timing (at least for me) Timing isn’t a deal breaker for me though as it often comes with the more analytical sound that I have moved away from over the years but timing done well will definitely getting your feet tapping again......

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Romulus said:
Timing it will be the same whether music played via High End HiFi or a workman's small screechy transistor radio. All this PRAT is simply how the music is presented by the HiFi gear itself, not the musicians. Sometimes I hear certain Jazz pieces via Naim gear and it made me giggle, it was racing in a farcical way, it highlighted to me how much Naim contrive to make this PRAT as opposed to how the piece was intended to be heard by the composer.

What amp and source are you using?

Presently I use a basic Cocktail Audio X10 with my Monitor Audio BX1 speakers in the kitchen. Many years ago I use To own Naim system with Epos speakers, I had to sell it to finance my daughter's laptop as she went into university (an investment proved true). However my remarks above came from my experience in a HiFi dealers in Tavistock, I was auditioning basic Naim CD with Basic Naim integrated amp via PCM floorstanders. I played Herbie Hancock's 'Hang Up Your UPI'. I have heard it via my above mentioned system then in audition via the above Naim system, and it was really frantic, I had to laugh it was relentless, but musically it was a farce. I have great respect for Naim products, but in honesty I do not miss this PRAT on my humble system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts