Time for an upgrade....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I think it's about time I upgraded some components but, in these times of austerity, I have to watch my pennies.

Current system (please don't laugh, I've had this for years)

TT - Rega Planar 2 (Ortofon Red)

Amp - NAD c320

CD - Arcam CD72

Speakers - Mission 773e

Love the turntable and the cd player. Think I could do something with the speakers or amp.

I love my vinyl (mainly indie, old school punk, reggae and classical). The rest of the family play cd's.

I think the speakers are the first step, then, possibly, the amp.

Budget - £300ish on each?

What do you reckon?

A

Anonymous

Ok. No-one ineterested.

let me expand a bit.

I'm not interested in streaming audio from a laptop/NAS/ipad (still don't see the point in them after working in IT for 30 odd years)

I've had my equipment for yonks, always stood me in good stead BUT it's sounding tired and the speakers have seen better days.

I'm ready to UPGRADe and thought some folk on here would be interested in sharing their opinion.

All I'm looking for is pointers in the right direction rgarding speakers and an amp.

Maybe the c320 is fine? Maybe it's reached the end of it's useful lfe? It hasn't got 'BEE' after its moniker.

The Mission's def are destined for the hifi graveyard. Far too much Copydex on the paper cones.

So, come on guys and girls, let's hear your opinions.....Planar 2, CD72 and what?

: )

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What research have you done so far? There's plenty of good advice on these forums for purchases in the price range you mention. For biggest bang per buck you might need to look at some ex-dem or end of line clearances, or just read the Onkyo 8050 thread ;-)

How about these for your speakers ... Clicky

SteveR750

gerred said:
I think it's about time I upgraded some components but, in these times of austerity, I have to watch my pennies.

Current system (please don't laugh, I've had this for years)

TT - Rega Planar 2 (Ortofon Red)

Amp - NAD c320

CD - Arcam CD72

Speakers - Mission 773e

Love the turntable and the cd player. Think I could do something with the speakers or amp.

I love my vinyl (mainly indie, old school punk, reggae and classical). The rest of the family play cd's.

I think the speakers are the first step, then, possibly, the amp.

Budget - £300ish on each?

What do you reckon?

I don't get this, unless you are saving cash in case you get made unemployed, in which case it's cheaper to take out Income protection insurance then you can't spend it. In a recession, those with jobs should be spending every penny furiously!

If you read the other threads then it seems like you should audition the Onkyp 8050 receiver, otherwise ebay for used stuff. I just sld my Kandy K2 amp for just over £400 frankly it was much better than aforementioned receiver or your NAD. There are plenty of other similar bargains used, just take your time and use the forum for advice. The beauty is you can always sell on if you don't lke it and probably lose very little, if anything at all, effectively giving you a chance for an extended home demo.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'd save your money towards a better amplifier and drive the 773's the best you can. Most people upgrade speakers well before they start getting the best out of them, which basically means they've never heard them as the manufacturer intended.

A dedicated power amplifier is the most potent way to get the best from them, which you could add to your existing NAD (using it as a pre-amplifier). The upside of this is that your speakers will sound tighter, punchier, and possess better scale and impact. The downside is that it won't improve the quality of the signal as the 320 is still being used, but this can be changed for a dedicated pre at a later date, with even greater rewards. NAD, Rotel, and Audiolab power amplifiers will be a good place to start.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Personally, I'd save your money towards a better amplifier and drive the 773's the best you can. Most people upgrade speakers well before they start getting the best out of them, which basically means they've never heard them as the manufacturer intended.

Did you read the previous posts? He/she has got speaker cones held together with bits of string and glue ... I think the speakers are truly shot unless the drivers or at least the rings are renewed ... maybe this might be a cheaper repair?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure the bass drivers can be replaced for a fraction of his current budget. It would be pointless replacing them with any current £300 speaker, and a speaker that would be worthwhile changing to would be held back by the amp, hence my post.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The £300 speakers I posted a link to are new clearance / end of line ... they normally retail at around £550 - £650. I think they are a good price, but repairing the current speakers might be a good cost effective option. Depend on the OP's appetite to carry out the repair ... ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Missions would also cost around £600/700 if they were around today. The Epos will have a different sound, and no doubt more bass, but as I say, too many people upgrade their speakers without ever hearing the best from them.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Missions would also cost around £600/700 if they were around today. The Epos will have a different sound, and no doubt more bass, but as I say, too many people upgrade their speakers without ever hearing the best from them.

Perhaps ... but since they are well and truly knackered, step A is to get them fixed or replaced. No amplifier in the world is going to make the 773s in their current broken condition sound great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts