Tidal updates

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Apples idea of being able to get a discount your whole family subscription is genius. I wonder why is hasn't been copied by the others.

It must simply be that those like me with kids and wife who want their own personal playlists are in a minority. There's four of us in this household and I could easily drop between £40-£80 a month to get the same from other suppliers. Not only is that eye-watering but Tidal would be lost on the other three. All three of them only listen on their iPhones using cheap headphones.

Truth be told it would probably be wasted on me as well, because until streaming properly matures and settles down, I can't see me treating it as a proper alternative source that warrants my expenditure on premium streaming. It's too easy for distributors to withdraw albums or even artists' full catalogs on a whim; I've seen it happen with my own [Spotify] playlists. Some new albums don't even appear at all for months, such as Adele's albums, and some albums (typically VA compilations) have say a 1/3rd of their tracks 'ghosted' and aren't avalable for streaming.

Nor is internet yet reliable enough. Where I live it's been down for two days since Christmas because of bad weather. If such as Tidal was my main source, that's no music til it's back up. Internet is still a luxury not a basic commodity.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
None of Apple Music's competitors offer a 'family' option, so it's unlikely I'll be trying anything like Tidal any time soon. Presumably users of other streaming services don't have family members who want to create their own playlists, favorites and so on, but as soon as Apple Music launched with its 'family' option, it was a killer USP for me. I couldn't drop my four year old Spotify subscription fast enough and my wife and kids were delighted.
Not true.

Google Play Music does...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
MajorFubar said:
None of Apple Music's competitors offer a 'family' option, so it's unlikely I'll be trying anything like Tidal any time soon. Presumably users of other streaming services don't have family members who want to create their own playlists, favorites and so on, but as soon as Apple Music launched with its 'family' option, it was a killer USP for me. I couldn't drop my four year old Spotify subscription fast enough and my wife and kids were delighted.
Not true.

Google Play Music does...

Fair shout, I didn't know that. I wonder if they did it before Apple or in response to Apple. Spotify certainly didn't when I cancelled it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
daveh75 said:
They announced it within a few weeks of Apple Music, but it didn't go live till November/December-ish iirc.

Just in time for Apple Music coming to Android. Had I been Google, I'd have tried to launch it well in advance of then to hoover-up the potential customer base.

daveh75

MajorFubar said:
daveh75 said:
They announced it within a few weeks of Apple Music, but it didn't go live till November/December-ish iirc.

Just in time for Apple Music coming to Android. Had I been Google, I'd have tried to launch it well in advance of then to hoover-up the potential customer base.

I don't think Google (or Spotify, etc) have much to worry about.

Even allowing for its 'Beta' tag Apple Music is pretty awful on Android.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
What I've noticed recently with Tidal is that the catalogue is filling rapidly (which is a good thing) but that this choice isn't reflected in the main Genres tab (which is not such a good thing).

There's a huge amount of new jazz represented in Tidal, but the main Genres tab under "Jazz" doesn't seem to reflect the volume of music available. I've been flicking through the new Jazzwise magazine and just searching for many albums advertised there show up on Tidal.

Unlike other posters above, I actually prefer the user interface to Spotify. I find it very logical and the way it sets out all your own music is really nice, but Tidal has some way to go before it matches Spotify in discovering the music that it already contains.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
What I've noticed recently with Tidal is that the catalogue is filling rapidly (which is a good thing) but that this choice isn't reflected in the main Genres tab (which is not such a good thing).

There's a huge amount of new jazz represented in Tidal, but the main Genres tab under "Jazz" doesn't seem to reflect the volume of music available. I've been flicking through the new Jazzwise magazine and just searching for many albums advertised there show up on Tidal.

Unlike other posters above, I actually prefer the user interface to Spotify. I find it very logical and the way it sets out all your own music is really nice, but Tidal has some way to go before it matches Spotify in discovering the music that it already contains.

Yes, very good point. As a jazz lover i totally agree.

Discovering new jazz on spotify is easier. Related artists feature on spotify is more versatile too even if it sometimes throws up odd suggestions.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I haven't come across much (just the odd track) that is on Spotify but not Tidal. When I imported my Spotty playlists it was probably as low as 1% that didn't match up. Tidal seems to have almost caught up. No Windows phone app as yet though - hurry up!!!

I'm saving a lot more than the extra subscription for Tidal because I haven't felt the need to buy a SINGLE cd or record since I upgraded.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts