Tidal / Gapless playback & various streamers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
I believe RN-402 would use LAN if one is connected. Don't think there is a physical switch there may be one I don't know about. Check the manual if unsure.

Still there are options in MusicCast app that will have impact on how responsive the app is. Apologies I'm going from memory as sold my WXC-50 around Christmas. I believe the choice was between Stable, Performance or something along these lines. I'd suggest going through Settings. Sadly not sure where this was located.

Please bear in mind there are two parts to settings one App Settings and Room Settings (click on your RN-402). All accessed by pressing a cog symbol in the top right of your MusicCast app. The ones you need I believe are under Room Settings. Go into Information there you should see things like IP address and Signal Strength. With signal strength under 40 app was a little laggy. With 80+ it would be very nippy.

@insider9 - thanks for the help with the info settings - I did manage to find them after them staring me in the face for about an hour.

Typical isn't it - after singing its praises last night the gremlins have struck this morning. There isn't a physical wifi on/off switch but I have figured out that you need to force the device to accept a wired connection in settings. This disables the wifi (or at least turns the green light off....).

Just a tip for anyone that has one - the above appears to send the unit into a flat spin and I have been unable to access Tidal since yesterday evening despite all other sources being fine. I discovered the solution by accident in simply turning the device off at the mains and on again and (fingers crossed) and all appears well with the wired connection still active.

I guess this is an area where the firmware development doesn't get so much attention. You don't get these issues with Linn
regular_smile.png

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
insider9 said:
I believe RN-402 would use LAN if one is connected. Don't think there is a physical switch there may be one I don't know about. Check the manual if unsure.

Still there are options in MusicCast app that will have impact on how responsive the app is. Apologies I'm going from memory as sold my WXC-50 around Christmas. I believe the choice was between Stable, Performance or something along these lines. I'd suggest going through Settings. Sadly not sure where this was located.

Please bear in mind there are two parts to settings one App Settings and Room Settings (click on your RN-402). All accessed by pressing a cog symbol in the top right of your MusicCast app. The ones you need I believe are under Room Settings. Go into Information there you should see things like IP address and Signal Strength. With signal strength under 40 app was a little laggy. With 80+ it would be very nippy.

@insider9 - thanks for the help with the info settings - I did manage to find them after them staring me in the face for about an hour.

Typical isn't it - after singing its praises last night the gremlins have struck this morning. There isn't a physical wifi on/off switch but I have figured out that you need to force the device to accept a wired connection in settings. This disables the wifi (or at least turns the green light off....).

Just a tip for anyone that has one - the above appears to send the unit into a flat spin and I have been unable to access Tidal since yesterday evening despite all other sources being fine. I discovered the solution by accident in simply turning the device off at the mains and on again and (fingers crossed) and all appears well with the wired connection still active.

I guess this is an area where the firmware development doesn't get so much attention. You don't get these issues with Linn
Yamaha update there software regularly

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
It sounds like it could be a simple IP conflict or another network issue. Glad it's sorted and glad you've worked it out.

I'm actually not sure what it was as there is an IP address assigned to both wired and wireless connections. My take on it is that the unit defaults to wireless operation when first started, without making it obvious, and you then go through the setup process and all works. If you then force the unit to accept a wired connection that's what disables the wifi but you then have to completely power the unit off at the mains to allow it to accept that connection and probably the IP address assigned to it.

I've got both wired and wireless connections assigned static IP's and there are no conflicts so it's obviously a gremlin in the Yamaha firmware which is irritating as it shouldn't happen.

All seems to be well now but the app is still laggy.

On a side note, I am collecting my Rega Planar 3 to use with the Linn Akurate DSM tomorrow so my attention will be very much turned back to that.
regular_smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts