admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
whats the thx decoding about. i am looking at buying a denon av reciever, but have notice you have to spend 1000's to get THX approved decoding on a denon av reciever. but with a yamaha you can spend a lot less to get it. whats so special about it. any thoughts would be great. cheers.

A

Anonymous

THX is really just a kind of quality standard on top of standard Dolby 5.1 decoding. The aim was to approve cinema sound and recreate that in the home. It started with speakers, demanding certain dispersion characteristics and was also applied to amps etc. The idea was to eliminate the variables in reproduction dependant on environment.

However, these standards got somewhat compromised with the introduction of THXII (IIRC - help me out Mr Kerr). This broadened the approval process. Then THX was acquired by Creative Labs which meant that PC speaker systems became THX approved.

If you are going high end - and I'm talking JBL Synthesis-type of system, then THX certification works. In a domestic system, I wouldn't personally be fussed.
hth
Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts