Three Subs at Diferent Prices - Which gets most bang for buck?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Linn Komponent 110 for home and a Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom for uni and live close enough to move the uni system too and from home during the breaks.

I've narrowed it down to three subs, basically using What Hi-Fi's opinion on each.

1) Tannoy TS-10 (£269.00)

These seem like a good option as they will match the tannoy speakers and are a nice price.

2) B&W ASW610 (£390.46)

Good review and the current recommended sub £500 choice.

3) Quad Lite 2 (£582.35)

Best
in my price range, not sure if the extra cost would justify getting it
as I'm sure I'd have to put money towards it if I wanted it as a
birthday presant.

How much do these differ in quality and which gives the best "bang for buck ratio"?

I prefer Responsiveness over Boomyness any day but it has to be good for movies too.

Thanks,

Charles

A

Anonymous

How come theres no BK in the list? Perhaps the XXLS400 would suit you? I havent heard some of these, but from what I've read on that sort of budget you will get a lot more for your money.

A

Anonymous

Didn't even know BK existed till your post. Though I've heard good things about REL subs which they actually made.

Still would like more opinions though. :)

A

Anonymous

If judged by weight.

Tannoy TS-10: 9.5kg

B&W ASW610: 12.5kg

Quad Lite 2: 26kg

XXLS400: 27.7kg (WINNER)

So by raw materials, XXLS400 most likely wins. Bad damn is it a beast.

A

Anonymous

Lol
emotion-1.gif

If you're going by weight, also checkout the BK Monolith (I'm ordering one myself tomorrow)

I suggested the XXLS400 because you mentioned responsiveness, and that one has a sealed box. I couldnt decide between these two, as I will be using mine for music too, but after quite a lot of reading, I've decided to go with the monolith. I was concerned about its performance on faster music tracks, but I've contacted people that have used both, and I'm told my concerns were unjust and that the monolith can hold a tune pretty well, while still being able to make the house fall down when used for movies!

A

Anonymous

Just so people know, I managed to get thru to BK today, Olive called me back after leaving a message. The wait for the monolith on the gloss black is 2 weeks. I also asked for a custom driver to be fitted, called the LAB12 as I know someone else who had this, but she said they cannot do that anymore.

They were helpful and she called me back almost immediately with answers to my queries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts