Thorens turntables - opinions please.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been looking around for a decent upgrade from my Pro-Ject Debut 2, and there are a couple of Thorens TD160's going on Ebay that are within driving distance for me.

One is a TD160S Mk 4 with a Ortofon VMS5E Mk2 cartridge, it looks in excellent condition and has a Buy It Now price of £195.

The other is a TD160 with AT3100 cartridge, currently at about £95.00

I have absolutely no experience of Thorens or what sort of price I should be looking to pay, but I think I'm right in assuming that they produced some pretty good equipment. Therefore I would be grateful for any opinions from the more knowledgable folk on these boards.

matthewpiano

The best Thorens at reasonable prices is the TD150 or the earliest of the TD160 incarnations. The later versions of the TD160 weren't as good - I'd give the Mk4 a miss and hold out for one of the earlier models, although it would certainly be an upgrade on the Debut.

If that TD160 with the AT cartridge is the original TD160 I'd look into it further. Paying £95 for a deck in good order will provide you with an excellent basis and leave you with £100 to put towards an arm upgrade. The Thorens arms aren't as bad as people suggest but they don't do the turntables justice. Don't be tempted by a Rega arm - they don't pair well with these decks. The best partner is a good SME arm or a Linn - loads about and the mounting plates are readily available.

One thing that I think is very important. Whatever Thorens you buy from this period, make the effort to pick it up rather than trusting it to the postal system. They are well built but they use a sprung chassis like the Sondek and they don't respond well to being chucked around a sorting room. It also gives you chance to check the deck over before parting with money. Then, before moving the deck anywhere, remove the platter and the counterweight to avoid damage. Those Thorens platters are VERY heavy and the main turntable bearings could be damaged beyond repair if it spends any sort of journey shaking about whilst still on the spindle.

They are fabulous decks. I had one for ages (a TD150MkIIAB) and have always regretted parting with it. I have another Thorens on my list for the future and would not hesitate to recommend them.

As a worthy alternative it is also worth looking at used Regas. The Planar 3 has always been a superb deck and, like the Thorens, would give you a substantial upgrade. Loads about and spare parts are easily found.

Finally, the Systemdek turntables are another great alternative and come up occasionally.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I am looking to upgrade from my Thorens TD166 MKII (with Linn LVX arm and Goldring Eroica cartridge) to a TD160 Super. I understand that the Super is a better bet than the standard TD 160 MkII, but how does it compare to the later TD160S mkIV compare? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts