Thorens TD 150 MkII

Gray

You could do worse than one from Audio Technica's 'new' VM95 range.
I've just fitted a VM95E (to a Thorens 160S). I haven't tried it yet, but I know it won't be bad, as I was using the ever-popular AT95E.
You (and I) can improve it in the future by fitting the ML stylus.....or you might want to jump straight in with the VM95ML cartridge. (VM95 series all use the same body - the stylus types are interchangeable).

RichHL

Jul 13, 2021
Visit site
You could do worse than one from Audio Technica's 'new' VM95 range.
I've just fitted a VM95E (to a Thorens 160S). I haven't tried it yet, but I know it won't be bad, as I was using the ever-popular AT95E.
You (and I) can improve it in the future by fitting the ML stylus.....or you might want to jump straight in with the VM95ML cartridge. (VM95 series all use the same body - the stylus types are interchangeable).
Thanks Gray, I’ll do some follow up on your suggestions.

Reactions: Gray
I’m a cheapskate!🙂
Then I’d second the AT95 suggestion, because they start at £29.95 with a conical stylus, but you can upgrade then to a c. £200 with simply swapping the stylus.
The only think to check is they have screw threads for fastening from above, not slots or holes. Depends which arm/headshell you have to be 100% sure it’ll fit. Do you have a picture?

Tried to attach a photo but have failed….. but like your picture, the screws do come from beneath, they are shorter screws.
OK, then I think you’ll need a cartridge with traditional slots or hoops for the fastening screws. I would need to look around for something suitable at a bargain price.

PS. Of course, the earlier AT95 range will fit. The newer VM95 has the captive bolts. Last thought, if you don’t have any spare screws, you’ll want the flange to be the same depth as on your current cartridge. I’ve no idea if the screws are a standard pitch, sorry.

Gray

No
If push comes to shove you could get a different headshell, this would enable you to have a wider choice of cartridges.
like this
View attachment 2612

View attachment 2613
Yes, ATechnica sell a VM pre-mounted in a headshell - no doubt people just plug and go - but us OCD types would have to slacken off and align with a protractor.
Funny how reviews universally regard threaded inserts as a benefit, with comments such as, 'it's about time we no longer need to worry about fiddly nuts'.
I doubt most of those that fit their own carts would have found attaching nuts to be too much of a problem (but I suppose the VM does look better without them, compared to my old AT).

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
If push comes to shove you could get a different headshell, this would enable you to have a wider choice of cartridges.
like this
View attachment 2612

View attachment 2613
this used to be standart size ,have this type of headshel on my old TT´s and the one i´m using now it´s a technics fully automatic (mechanical) from 76 , and i had a 80´s pioneer turntable that came with a pioneer stylus and when to buy a new stylus ,the option even in new pioneer TT´s was this AT stylus ,sometimes i was trying new cartridges and stylus but they sound a bit flat ,when conecting to an old amplifier the sound was fully dynamic and most of the frequencies were there ,like ortofon it is a brand that i hear much talking about them but in the past was a brand not in fashion but very known because of the system on revox turntables , the at 95 was a comon AT stylus with cartridge that i remenber being good but recentelly it´s hard to find it new from the brand or just not available where i live , i heard a sumiko stylus with it´s cartridge that costs around 200€ and it´s an improvement to the lowest series of ortofon ,sorry but don´t know the reference that´s why i put the price . Thorens is in my opinion a good turntable and easy tune able for diferent cartridges and stylus, had one in early 80´s with a garrard cartridge and stylus i remenber that i paid a lot but for the thorens was a perfect stylus , i only remenber it was black the reference i can´t remenber, sorry but i don´t remenber the references

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
this used to be standart size ,have this type of headshel on my old TT´s and the one i´m using now it´s a technics fully automatic (mechanical) from 76 , and i had a 80´s pioneer turntable that came with a pioneer stylus and when to buy a new stylus ,the option even in new pioneer TT´s was this AT stylus ,sometimes i was trying new cartridges and stylus but they sound a bit flat ,when conecting to an old amplifier the sound was fully dynamic and most of the frequencies were there ,like ortofon it is a brand that i hear much talking about them but in the past was a brand not in fashion but very known because of the system on revox turntables , the at 95 was a comon AT stylus with cartridge that i remenber being good but recentelly it´s hard to find it new from the brand or just not available where i live , i heard a sumiko stylus with it´s cartridge that costs around 200€ and it´s an improvement to the lowest series of ortofon ,sorry but don´t know the reference that´s why i put the price . Thorens is in my opinion a good turntable and easy tune able for diferent cartridges and stylus, had one in early 80´s with a garrard cartridge and stylus i remenber that i paid a lot but for the thorens was a perfect stylus , i only remenber it was black the reference i can´t remenber, sorry but i don´t remenber the references
Sorry, after talking with a friend of mine ,he corrected me not garrard but a goldring and a few years after i sold it because it was ofered to me a good amount of money for the turntable ,and did this upgrade already in the 2000´s but the thorens TT ,bought it new in 83 or 84 that at the time i thought i was improving it with a cartridge and stylus from shure and it was a expensive one , but don´t remenber the reference ,i live in the south of Portugal and at the time there was only one hi-fi shop and prices were over the moon so i used to travel 400km´s to buy anything related with my hi-fi system at alf the price it was sold in my hometown

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts