Thorens 150/2

grimharry said:
Just seen a thorens 150/2 tt with sure m55e cart for £125 is it a good deal and how good a tt is it?

Cannot answer about the Thorens but I would forget the cartridge, it's probably shot but you can get a replacement stylus for about £20 to try if you get the deck and intend keeping it. Knowing early Thorens decks, it;s probably from the 70's, it is probably worth a punt as long as it has been serviced at some point in it's life.

Try it if it's working, if you don't like it I am sure you could move it on easily enough as people seem to be buying anything these days.

The TD125 is suposedly a better deck.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Fair enough I’ll give it a miss then. I just wondered if with some work it would be better than my project.

Thanks for you help again chaps *good*

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It’s supposed to be vgc. Wasn’t looking for a tt but it just kind of jumped up on wightbay which obviously is a Isle of Wight thing so I thought I’d check it out as I have a liking for that retro look

grimharry said:
Fair enough I’ll give it a miss then. I just wondered if with some work it would be better than my project.

Thanks for you help again chaps *good*

Sorry for the slightly negative reply. I have no idea what condition that deck is in, it may be very good. Perhaps best not to take a chance. Many of these older decks advertised have come out of somebodies loft and are usually fitted with the original cartridge still. Most not worth shelling out good money on unless you really know what you are looking at even if they had a good reputation in their day.

Since the 'vinyl resurgence' there has been quite a lot of old tat suddenly appearing out of the woodwork. Buyer beware!

If you do manage to spot a looked-after TD125 though then that would be worth a look, they were a bit more stylish and a lot better built than the 150s.

NOTE: there is a 150 Mk2 and the same Shure cartridge on eBay at the moment with bidding up to £80. It will be interesting to see what it stops at... ;-) ................ and a TD125 Mk2 + SME 3009 arm with an asking price of £499, says it all really.

Also some joker wants £1295 for a TD124 Mk2 without arm or plinth.... he'll be lucky!

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Well thanks again for your help. I must admit I do like the look of that design, it would look the part with silver box’s and walnut and black speakers.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
chebby said:
It's a classic from a generation of turntables inspired by the Ed Vilchur AR XA suspended subchassis turntable (amongst others). It's a 'pay on collection' item so you'd have to factor in the return ticket on one of the Solent ferry services.

I’m on the Isle of Wight and don’t get me started on the ferries *aggressive*

It's a classic from a generation of turntables inspired by the Ed Vilchur AR XA suspended subchassis turntable (amongst others).

No disrespect, it is a 'classic' (most vintage things could be classed as classic) but that doesn't make it well looked after. Chances are, because of age, it could turn out to be a nightmare.

As Al rightly said, people are jumping on the vinyl bandwagon. It might be worth a punt, but given the OP has a very decent TT already, the Thorens - unless you send it off to Inspire - is a huge risk.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Al ears said:
ifor said:
it's a suitable donor for the Inspire upgrade.

I very much doubt it is worth it. Some of the idler-drives maybe but have you seen the crazy prices people are asking for them..... £3000??

I'm not sure what idler drives and £3000 have to do with it. Inspire, if I remember correctly, were quoting pp about £300 for a donor TT. Here's a cheaper one.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
It's a classic from a generation of turntables inspired by the Ed Vilchur AR XA suspended subchassis turntable (amongst others).

No disrespect, it is a 'classic' (most vintage things could be classed as classic) but that doesn't make it well looked after. Chances are, because of age, it could turn out to be a nightmare.

As Al rightly said, people are jumping on the vinyl bandwagon. It might be worth a punt, but given the OP has a very decent TT already, the Thorens - unless you send it off to Inspire - is a huge risk.

So Grimharry lives on the same island as the seller and can go and see it working/assess condition etc. before parting with his money.

http://www.wightbay.com/freshwater/electronics/vintage-thorens-td-150-ii-turntable-5567749/

ifor said:
Al ears said:
ifor said:
it's a suitable donor for the Inspire upgrade.

I very much doubt it is worth it. Some of the idler-drives maybe but have you seen the crazy prices people are asking for them..... £3000??

I'm not sure what idler drives and £3000 have to do with it. Inspire, if I remember correctly, were quoting pp about £300 for a donor TT. Here's a cheaper one.

I meant the deck the OP mentions isn't worth spending the sort of money Inspire charge to upgrade it whereas the idler drive Thorens would be worth upgrading. Simples.

ifor said:
Al ears said:
I meant the deck the OP mentions isn't worth spending the sort of money Inspire charge to upgrade it ...

Why so dismissive of the Inspire upgrade package? You weren't previously.

You have obviously misinterpreted what I said, read it again. There is nothing wrong with their package it's the turntable. I wouldn't think it's worth spending that much money on. The term pig's ear springs to mind. Financially not viable.

If you're going to spend good money on upgrading something then make sure it's worth upgrading in the first place. In this instance you'd be better off using the upgrade cash to buy a better TT in the first place.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
So, it was a highly rated TT in its day, it appears to be in very good condition, but might not be, and it's cheap. To my mind that makes it pretty much perfect for an Inspire upgrade.

ifor said:
So, it was a highly rated TT in its day, it appears to be in very good condition, but might not be, and it's cheap. To my mind that makes it pretty much perfect for an Inspire upgrade.

Ok, that's your opinion. I'd rather spend the £700 a different way. However, it's not about me and I think, considereing the OP was having second-thoughts about commiting to a new cartridge, he is highly unlikely to fork out the money on an Inspire, or any other for that matter, upgrade package.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts