This ps3 has ceased to be.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
My Sony playstation has popped its clogs.What is more annoying is that it decided to do so in month 13.When I brought it back to the sony centre I bought it from he shrugged his shoulders and offered to relieve me of €40 to give it to someone to have a look.

When I load a disk I get the menu and in the top right corner of the screen an icon constantly revolves and nothing happens.My manual describes these symptoms and advises me to bring return it to point of sale.My point of sale pointed me in the direction of the sony bd 350.I am really annoyed because with christmas i am finally coming in to some time off to enjoy mid day movies on my projector and have been stocking up on the latest bd releases.

I will never buy sony again and am lookin at the panasonic bd35 at £220 in richer sounds.If anyone found a economic solution to fixing my dodgy ps3 I would be more than grateful and if anyone has reliability issues with the panasonic let me know too.The irony is I bet the £97 arogos blu ray player will outlive everything.

A

Anonymous

i got the bd35 muklti region from richer sounds for 200quid. Get them to do a price match for you.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your problem. Have you tried a lens cleaner? It does sound like the lens has gone which shouldn't be too expensive to repair but it certainly is worth repairing. I haven't heard of many failures with the PS3, so I think you've just been unlucky.

A

Anonymous

dvd only dude. Its a great little player and im only going to upgrade when there is more high end choice and reliability. DVD play back is cracking too. The nemo dvd looks the nuts on my plasma.

coolaboola

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
The lens cleaner was my second action (after unplugging and rebooting , a top tip I got from an I.T guru many years ago).I then tried an audio cd and a game but no joy on any format.I will ring a service centre on monday and see if I can get an idea on the cost of a new lens.I might treat myself to the panna 35 and get the ps3 fixed in the new year.I will then get to watch all my movies over christmas and my nephew will get a nice hand me down if its fixed.

A

Anonymous

CoolaBoola,

If it were me, I would take the PS3 back to the store where you bought it and tell them that even though the warranty has just expired it doesn't affect you stautory rights. This means that you should reasonably expect that an item you paid £250 for should last more than 13 months.

If they want to say shrug their shoulders I'd tell them that you will have to seek further help from your local consumer radio station as you feel they are being very unreasonable.

I had a PC problem a few years back and I got so sick of being messed around I spoke with my local consumer radio program (BBC Three Counties) on air and they managed to get me a brand new PC which was £2000 worth.

Anyway, that's what I'd do!

regards

Binky Bonus

A

Anonymous

Contact Sony UK directly explaining how long you've had the PS3 and hopefully you will get a more sympathic response. If it is too expensive to repair ( assuming you don't use your PS3 for gaming and/or media streaming ) you should consider buying the Panasonic DMP-BD35 ( less than £200 from Amazon ) which the value for money standalone BD player around ( at the moment ). Great picture quality, up to date specifications and firmware upgradable. Don't spend any money on a BD player.

A

Anonymous

Escuse the typos on my last post. Just to make it clear, the Panny 35 is the best value BD player around for now. Its not worth paying extra for a BD player.

A

Anonymous

if this is a recognised fault then you should be covered by the consumer rights act,get in contact with trading standards,they will give all the details,armed with the information,go back to sony and they should sort it out.It is the shop that is liable for up to 6 years(i think)as long as the problem is no fault of your own.Have a happy christmas

A

Anonymous

The fault on your PS3 is most likely the BluRay drive failing, the same symptons happened to a friend's PS3 just recently, he phoned Sony Centre UK and they've said it's a recognised fault with many of the older PS3's, especially the 40Gb models. They, free of charge, got a courier to pickup the item the next day and returned it fixed with a new BluRay drive within the week.

Deffinately call Sony UK and speak to them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts