This months Big Question

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
idc:
Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?
It doesn't matter. Your mind is already made up.

That is not true. I am following the best evidence, which is at the moment that the difference is in the listener and not the cable. Should the evidence suggest otherwise I will do so as well.

The problem is that none of the blind tests, sighted tests or measurements that I have seen have been wholly conclusive one way or another. I am not a scientist, I have a legal background and at the moment I would certainly say that the evidence against cables having an intrinsic effect is good enough to meet civil requirements, as in the balance of probabilities and pretty much criminal requirements, as in beyond all possibilities. But I would imagine that in a Scottish Criminal Court the case would be found not proven.

If you are a legal man you will be aware of the phrase, "The man on the Clapham omnibus". I would say that the participants on the Big Question are the men and the sofa is the Omnibus.

....or 'the sonic sofaets' as I like to call them.
emotion-1.gif

I was one of the earlier attendees, so the format may of changed slightly. We spoke a little before, during [and a lot] after each test.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
professorhat:

BillDay66:Very few people are going to have a source with both optical and usb outputs are they?

Well, most laptops these days will have both, and definitely any Apple based PC (which are quite popular for music servers).

(not taking away the point that a direct comparison of USB cables would also have been nice, just saying that having both optical and USB outputs isn't that uncommon and is a question which comes up relatively frequently in the forums).

Thanks professor, I'll stand corrected
emotion-10.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BillDay66:professorhat:

BillDay66:Very few people are going to have a source with both optical and usb outputs are they?

Well, most laptops these days will have both, and definitely any Apple based PC (which are quite popular for music servers).

(not taking away the point that a direct comparison of USB cables would also have been nice, just saying that having both optical and USB outputs isn't that uncommon and is a question which comes up relatively frequently in the forums).

Thanks professor, I'll stand corrected
emotion-10.gif

And most media players like my Popcorn Hour have USB, optical and coaxial. I don't use USB because it doesn't offer 24 bit 96khz.

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
As far as I understand it, most people wouldnt choose usb over optical / coax given the option but many like myself only have the option of using a usb from my laptop so therefore a comparison of the 2 usb cables would have been useful.

The way I read the conclusion was that system 4 (the expensive usb) was pretty good compared to system 2 (the expensive optical)- so in the context of the test would'nt it seem obvious to then compare the expensive usb with the budget one as they did with the opticals?

maybe its just me....
emotion-43.gif

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Ravey Gravey Davy:
Grottyash:Gerrardasnails:idc:Do the participants on the Big Question discuss the test as it is ongoing, or is notes and everyone keeps quiet until the end?
It doesn't matter. Your mind is already made up.Actually, technically it does matter. Any sort of talking or discussion during the tests may influence the results. Therefore, the test is invalidated.

Tosh.

edit- you make your own mind up not somebody elses or vice versa- ie what Gerrard says.

Tosh yourself! Check with the psychology department at your local university. They'll point you towards some texts which will explain why.

Yep, this one comes to mind. Having said this, I like the big question as its not too scientific and technical, its just interesting to hear peoples thoughts as Andrew says.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts