This is one for CJ: How would you describe....

... the sonic characteristics of the Rega P5 in its basic form?

When I eventually get around to changing the TT the P5 seems to tick all my boxes: Quirky looks, comes with dust cover, right sort of price bracket etc. etc.

Any feedback would be good.

Ta, pp.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
... the sonic characteristics of the Rega P5 in its basic form?

When I eventually get around to changing the TT the P5 seems to tick all my boxes: Quirky looks, comes with dust cover, right sort of price bracket etc. etc.

Any feedback would be good.

Ta, pp.

??? . . . long while ago now PP, so much water has gon under the bridge. My mind was still not in full function mode either at that time, however, what I can tell you; for around £200-£250 of upgrades + a decent cartridge and P5 can be up in the £2000 + bracket! Mine has been compared with a Slate Garard 401, SME arm and a Koetsu Rosewood signature and not found wanting . . . that was in October befor the tweaking I have done recently and the new Audiomods arm.

A straight P5 . . . excelent sound quality, however I would seriously look at the RP3, I supose the plus for the P5 has is the RB700 tone arm? which Rega do not seem to list on their web site now . . . ?

Which ever way you might look, the straight Rega bears no relation to the 'properly up rated' item, IMHO.

CJSF

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Understanable, there's been a fair whack of upgrading and tinkering.

Just out of interest, what TT did you have before the P5?

Nothing PP, I hade nothing to do with hifi from 1995, before that I was in the trade from 1981. So my TT from 81, were Michell Focus 1, Gyro Dec, Townsend Rock with silicon trough. Amps were Nad, then in with both feet to EAR 509/EAR pre amp and the EAR Head MC transformer, then we designed our own valve pre . . . then nothing, wildernes time, untill 2 years ago.

CJSF

Cheers, CJ. - my problem is, in an ideal world, would love to own a Mitchell Gyrodec but as I only flit in and out of vinyl - I can go 2 or 3 weeks of playing records, then go 2 months without touching it, investment of that kind would be a waste IMO. Nevertheless I do want to significantly usurp the Pro-ject, but really caught in limbo on this front.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Cheers, CJ. - my problem is, in an ideal world, would love to own a Mitchell Gyrodec but as I only flit in and out of vinyl - I can go 2 or 3 weeks of playing records, then go 2 months without touching it, investment of that kind would be a waste IMO. Nevertheless I do want to significantly usurp the Pro-ject, but really caught in limbo on this front.

Mmm:? . . . have you thought PP, with an improved TT, you might want to listen to more LP's? Thats how it has worked for me, the better things have got the more I want to listen to vinyl. Lets be fair, just puting a CD on or pushing a couple of buttons to stream is not the hight of involvment or satisfaction? That my personal view, no finger pointing intended.

I do have the incentive of wanting to fiddle, as things are now, making all sorts of minor adjustments, then I sat down at 11 o'clock this evening and simply listened, 3 hours solid, most enjoyable, with a final conclusion; I prefered the settings I used yesterday. I'm satifying my love of music, hifi and the pleasure of tweaking.

I find I do use my computer for Spotify when I'm tierd or just want to 'slob', I use the computer when I want to listen to a play, usualy one on radio in the afternoon, listening to the Archers first with my Hazel, sarni, cup of tea, hifi quality Archer is very enjoyable. Then I tinker and/or listen to music for an hour or so after the play.

Turn off the hifi for tea, we have a bit of family type time, TV, chat etc., although there is only the two of us and Oliver the dog. Watch the 10pm news, turn off TV. Retire to the study/music room, on goe the hifi, a bit of Spotify on to warm things up, check out emails and forums.

In to Horlicks hour, mostly vinyl unless its been a hard day, there was a point when it was 75% Spotify, but upwards and onwards, fiddling and tweaking has changed all that.

True this can induce expenditure, but over the Christmas period, I have fiddled with the cartridge mass shims to very good sonic affect, cheap to buy. I have also modified the metal sub platter, did not cost a penny although required some inspiration, the results were amazing . . . thats the point mate, I think; 'fiddling' . . . I may not be doing it all the time, and the actions do not always work, but it certainly holds my interest.

CJSF

To be honest, not sure whether I would listen to more vinyl. The Pro-ject, with the upgraded cart, is fabulous for the money spent. I'd say it is better than the Arcam CDP. Unlike you, CJ, I like to let the manufactuers fiddle, and not because I'm lazy, either. I just physically can't spare the time with Mrs. P's needs, little'un and running my small business.

I suppose I'm looking for maximum effect, minimum effort. To quote a fairly well-worn idiom: I'm caught between the rock and a hard place. Ultimate objective for all of us is musical satisfaction. Working on that basis I'm looking to heighten an already lofty enjoyment level.

Like you, there's nothing better than winding down with a nice mug of Assam (not a Horlicks fan), listening to my current favourite sounds.

As the P5 isn't made anymore, auditioning will be nigh on impossible, and it isn't a case of whether I should stick or twist... It would be more accurate as to how many times I should twist, hence why I posed the question at you.

You've given me a fair insight, so I'll have something to chew on over the coming weeks.

Cheers again, CJ.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yep, family, home, wifes . . . :? (sorry thats wife, sigular, not sugesting a hairum) they all take time . . . However, I supose the actual 'tweaks', trying to look at them individualy dont take long, 20-30 mins to do the sub platter for instance. Its the time thinking and the time evaluating (listening) . . . that is the killer . . . but then we listen anyway.

I'm lucky, no one seriousy calling on my time these days, only Hazel and Oliver wanting a walk, and now retired, makes life much easier.

You obviously want to 'do vinyl' . . . but not the tweaking side of things? You will have to spend 'time' with your dealers listening to demos . . . they will do the fiddley stuff. I think its fair to say, Project and Rega do a good 'out of the box' product . . . but in the 'tweakery stakes', my money is on Rega.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts