This fuse costs £4200

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
As the owner now of three different QAS fuses I have to say I am delighted with the results of replacing the standard 13 amp busman fuses in my system with them. As I have never blown a fuse on any of my hifi over the last 45 years I don’t worry about a QAS fuse blowing ( but reserve the right to be irritated if one does). Interestingly they are rated at 13 amps, when many years ago I tried a Hifi tuning fuse it was only rated at 10 amps. I don’t remember it having any impact at all and now can’t remember where it is or what it’s in.
Owning examples of each of the three fuses in the entry range I can say that there is a significant audible uplift in sound quality as you move up the range from black to yellow. The black is already good and the blue and the yellow even better.
I, like many of the contributors to this thread, find it hard to imagine that the top of the range fuses will justify their expense, but I am open minded and come the lottery win, would have my butler fit several to my system.

The acid test is when you remove any tweak and go back to what you originally were listening to, do you miss the tweak more than the money! In this case I missed the fuse. Many an item has failed this simple test.

How would I rate the difference in using these fuses? Like a serious upgrade to a key component or interconnect or two.

Just for those that are interested, I use a black fuse on my 4 drive Qnap NAS drive, I was genuinely amazed at the difference in the quality of the audio stream following this simple tweak. I was expecting to hear little if any difference.

A yellow fuse on my Isotek Titan G2 power conditioner means I can share the benefits of this fuse over many components as apart from the two main outlets it also supplies a Isotek 6 way conditioner. From the moment the fuse was fitted there was a large uplift in the sonic quality of my system. I know from previous experience that as the fuse “runs in” this will improve more.

I have a blue fuse on my Devialet Expert pro 220 which is plugged in to my Isotek Titan. This amp just seems to get better and better with each upgrade to the power supply and isolation.

I also have a black fuse on my AV amp Which is also fed from the Isotek Titan.

I make that about £400 on fuses and the results have been absolutely worth every penny. I’m no longer thinking about dual amping my Devialet or replacing my NAS drive with a hifi network storage device like an Auralic Aries G2.1 , I think I should say that cd’s ripped to my NAS now, by and large, sound better and more richly textured than anything streamed from Tidal and Qobuz regardless of format.

Do they make a sonic difference, yes! very much so. Will I buy more, almost certainly. Will I buy from further up the range? Probably not as the results are already excellent and I would prefer to have a black fuse in everything rather than a higher spec fuse in a single component. Will they stop me upgrading, of course not, I can keep the fuses and use them in any new kit.
The results that I have experienced are those elusive hifi objectives, improved detail, much better sound staging, more speed and snap. More natural voice tones, improved ambience. I could go on.

I have found that having the higher end fuse upstream gives the best results, and yes, they are directional and don’t improve things if you install them the wrong way around.

I was so amazed at the result that I started to think about installing shuko mains sockets for my hifi to avoid the need for any fuses at all, but I suspect the effectiveness is not just about the ‘fuse’ and there is something else going on. Even so I would be interested to hear from anyone who has stopped out their UK plugs and sockets for Shuko and if it made any difference?

I would suggest that if anyone has got to this point in the thread that they make their own mind up about the value of theses fuses and enjoys the creative writing of the posters (I certainly have) . Bottleneck distortion may be a real thing or it may just be marketing speak, but however they do it, these fuses work and I have heard enough of them to want to try them in other applications that may well scratch that upgrade itch.

Finally I did try the black fuse in my 4K Blu-ray spinner and Oled TV, initially I thought the picture was improved, but when I took the fuse out and ran the same clip again I really wasn’t sure there was any difference. My TV and disc spinner while using standard fuses are now ultimately fed via a yellow fuse and I have to say that the picture on my TV has never looked better and the AV system never sounded better.

Dom

I am pleased you like Hifi fuses.

I have been in the Hifi game for over 10 years and tried everything I could within my budget.

Once you have maximal sound quality, you can go no further, you cannot obtain better sound quality with a better conducting fuse.

If I had to put a reason on why it's like this, is once you have the speakers performing as they should that's all there is. For that reason, its actually about set up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 195594

I have no problem with these fuses per se, but £4k does take a big step in to the realms of incredulity. I tried a QSA blue, or light blue fuse a while ago on a 30 Day Return; I like to try things for myself, and then file away under either "Nope, that's total BS" or "ok, there's something to this"

I still have the fuse; and no, not because I couldn't be ar*ed sending it back 😜

Gray

I'm not being funny Rob and Painter, but if you can hear the difference between mains fuses......the sort of differences you get with components and speakers must absolutely blow your minds.
Seriously, there's something about your ears and brains that is different to other humans.

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 195594

I'm not being funny Rob and Painter, but if you can hear the difference between mains fuses......the sort of differences you get with components and speakers must absolutely blow your minds.
Seriously, there's something about your ears and brains that is different to other humans.
Thanks Gray, totally understand the scepticism. I can't speak for Rob, but I don't think my brain/ears are different, although I do have a weak ability to "see" music (there is a name for it that escapes me)., but I doubt it means I "hear" differently in any significant way to others.

It maybe a lot simpler than that, and that is the fuses are doing something. I don't profess to understand it, but I'm not going to say these fuses don't do anything, or have zero effect, because in my experience, they do. If the fuse I bought hadn't, I'd have returned it., simple as.

It's not as profound an effect, like switching out components or speakers, definitely not, but the change was there.

D

Deleted member 195594

'Synesthesia' is the condition where senses can be cross-triggered, proof that brains can be 'wired' differently.

Very true, it is bizarre. I've told people about this over the years and received derision and told to stop smoking the green stuff. (I don't consume illegal substances by the way) I've had this since I can remember.

you were open-minded to the suggested benefits 👍

I see what you did there; not biting 😜😄👍

podknocker

If people are convinced they can hear a difference with an expensive fuse, then let them believe it. However, I can't think of any physical reason, in the known Universe, why this thing could make any difference. Physics can't explain it, that's for sure. I have mentioned things, in other topics and threads, which could make a difference. I found several components sounded better, during the summer months, including KEF speakers, when the polypropylene speaker drive units got warmer and the air in my listening room became warmer and more humid. The acuity of human hearing is also better when it's dark, for critical, late night listening, as humans need to depend on sound, not sight, to listen out for threats etc. It's hard wired into our brains and that will never change, being a hunter gatherer, diurnal species. Your mood, the level of certain hormones and how tired you feel, all contribute to your perception and appreciaton of sounds and music. There are so many variables to take into account. Also, the quality of the mains supply can change, with more noise getting into poorly setup systems. The amount of RFI and other environmental disturbances, all need to be considered. Cables behave like antennae and will carry anything they pick up, to your shiny system. Personally, I think paying more than 50p for a mains fuse, is nonsense. This tiny length of copper/silver, cannot add anything, nor take anything away, from the overall sound of your system. It is just snake oil and bullsh*t marketing. As for synaesthesia, it means sensory areas of the brain become cross wired, but it wouldn't heighten the perception of any particular sense. A loud trombone might appear like a red light, or the smell of cheese, but it wouldn't make the loud trombone sound any better. The human brain has a finite capability and cannot be 'upgraded', like a device, to improve sensory perception. Some people are born with better hearing, but biology does have its limits. I also think a lot of modern kit is overkill. Bats and dogs might appreciate your fancy B&W diamond tweeter, but humans certainly can't.

Last edited:

Gray

Your right Grey I can't really see the point in spending so much for such little gain, or if they improve sound quality as they should do.
I can see one advantage in buying it Dom.
Afterwards, everything you ever bought for as long as you lived - would seem like a bargain.

Quick example: I'm currently considering spending £1500 on an amp upgrade. As always, I find spending so much money hard to justify - even though the amp is currently discounted by £996.

Then I look at this poxy fuse....it's the gift that keeps on giving in terms of its stupidity.
It costs 2.8 times as much as the amp I'm trying to justify buying.....FFS.

Dom

I can see one advantage in buying it Dom.
Afterwards, everything you ever bought for as long as you lived - would seem like a bargain.

Quick example: I'm currently considering spending £1500 on an amp upgrade. As always, I find spending so much money hard to justify - even though the amp is currently discounted by £996.

Then I look at this poxy fuse....it's the gift that keeps on giving in terms of its stupidity.
It costs 2.8 times as much as the amp I'm trying to justify buying.....FFS.
There is so much snake oil here I feel sick! I forget we are actually talking about fuses. A fuse, you know the little things that stops your music players from dying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Dom

I have been thinking about QSA fuses which range from £50 to extraordinary, and that the only most expensive reduces the bottleneck distortions.
The Quantum Science Audio Black Entry Level UK Mains Fuse must only reduces bottleneck distortions by the smallest of margins.
This is a real problem with cheap fuses today and it can heard in our Hifis as distortions in the electromagnetic induction, magnetic field.

So I apologise to QSA for him and his company. (y)

Friesiansam

If you have high-end kit and yet, a different fuse really makes an audible difference, then you need to think again about what kit you are buying. The power supply in any kit worthy of being called HiFi, should be able to smooth and clean-up the incoming mains supply more than adequately.

When you consider all the noise there must be on the National Grid, to actually believe things like ludicrously overpriced mains cables and fuses are going to make a real difference, is mad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts