This fuse costs £4200

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

abacus

I have looked on their website (As well as the Future website) and there is no mention of meeting the BS standard for fuses, so avoid like the plague. (And if you have already bought one, ask for your money back and contact trading standards as it’s possibly a safety risk)

Bill

no mention of meeting the BS standard for fuse
Depends what BS stands for!

And if you are lucky and costs are pro rata, a 5A fuse should only cost £1,615.

I wonder if Future Shop refers to the prices, which are just selected from some random point in the future? I can't be bothered to do the maths, but suspect that if a legitimate price is a quid (assuming some of it is actually silver etc) and inflation runs at 3.5%, there probably isn't enough time before the sun dies for inflation to take care of that...

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I have looked on their website (As well as the Future website) and there is no mention of meeting the BS standard for fuses, so avoid like the plague. (And if you have already bought one, ask for your money back and contact trading standards as it’s possibly a safety risk)

Bill
I have written many user instruction manuals stating that fuses have to be ASTA approved.

Dom

Lets face it fuses change the sound, put in any old fuse and the chances are it sounds terrible.
The main purpose of a fuse is to blow at a sustained specified current which is above the power draw of your devices, there is no bottle neck, there is no weak link. There maybe electromechanics involved but that doesn't give them the right to this clear deception.

Last edited:

Gray

Bottom line is:
Compared with one from the Toolstation 10- pack, there are just two differences.

1) It doesn't have the electrical approval.
2) It costs 20,000 times as much.

The more you think about it, the more scandalous it seems.

(I must stop thinking about it).

Reactions: Tinman1952

lakelandstu70

Feb 24, 2022
Visit site
so £4200 on a fuse to avoid the bottleneck... but then presumably a surge protection unit in between the fuse and the device so it doesn't get damaged? Just a thought... :cool:

Gray

They say, if you put the fuse in the wrong way round, you will hear the difference...
It's the icing on the cake.

....Meanwhile, over on the Wam forum, somebody posted that he's listened to a £200 fuse.
He thought that any improvement there may have been, wasn't worth the money.
However, he went on to suggest that the price of this one might make it better.

podknocker

I followed the link, then looked at my laptop clock/calendar and wondered if it was April 1st. Sadly, it's not. There are people out there, that think this sort of product, will make a difference. It won't. I've been part of many heated debates, on this forum and others, relating to cabling and fuses and stuff like this. It's incredible how many people fall for this nonsense. To make a real difference, EVERY part of the mains, fuses, wiring, internal components, connections and all the windings on voice coils, would need to be made of the purest silver and have no weaknesses, in the entire setup. Also make sure the entire national grid and energy infrastructure, is made of the same quality materials. While you're at it, try to prevent any RFI, or any other noise, getting into your expensive system and fuses and circuits. Since Marconi began sending signals, many years ago, the world is awash with radiation, noise, poorly maintained mains supplies, lighting, fridges, lawnmowers and ignitions etc. All this ends up in your system and a fancy, overpriced fuse, isn't going to overcome these problems. Think of all the electronics, within a mile of your location, spewing out noise and radiation, which can enter your kit. I get a 'click' through my system, when the fridge turns off, in my small flat. There's not much I can do about it really. I could invest in a better mains cable and conditioner, but I don't care enough these days. Cabling acts like an antenna and anything picked up, will end up being passed to your shiny system. There's only so much, a mains filter/conditioner can do. If your HIFI was the only piece of electronics, on the planet and powered my the sun, with every component made from pure silver, then it would probably sound spectacular. That's never going to happen. People are in a fantasy land, if they think this item is going to make any difference. DACs, amplifiers and loudspeaker materials and designs, have the most influence on sound quality. You're better off buying some nicer kit, than wasting your money on a fancy fuse. I wouldn't pay more than 50p for ANY domestic fuse. This product is there to prove a point. It's to prove there are stupid and ignorant people out there, with deep pockets, that don't understand cables and electronics and signals and what can, or cannot make a difference. You may be aspirational, or delusional, but you CANNOT argue, with the laws of physics. If you don't understand the laws of physics, you can't assume your argument is valid, based on what you think is possible, with this sort of product. Physics says no. All their fuses are ridiculously overpriced and must be made from a magical new material, I've never heard of and it's somehow new to science. It's probably called bulls**tium. Morrisons sell a pack of fuses, for a quid and they will do exactly the same: https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-assorted-fuses-426384011

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS