Thinking of upgrading my amp...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently, I have an amp that is pretty good, for what it is. I've hacked it around a little (beefed up PSU, added a pre-out), but I think the time has come for an upgrade (it's roughly equivalent to the cambridge audio A1).

The main problem is that I can't listen to different amps in a hifi shop for two very good reasons...

1 - my main source for music is my PC, with external soundcard. Getting that to a hifi shop and set up won't be fun.

2 - my speakers stand over 4 feet high, and weigh in excess of 30Kg - each. There is no way I can get them to a hifi shop. The speakers themselves are DIY, but roughly equivalent to something costing around £500 (based on where the same woofers have been used elsewhere), but they are an unusual design, using full range drivers, backed up with woofers, so there's no commercial equivalent.

The main criteria is as follows:

50W or more per channel (would go to 40, if it was something special)

Needs a pre-output, as I use a subwoofer to get to the low 20s, which is always a fun thing to do.

Costing less than £250.

I've looked at places like Richer Sounds, and I was impressed with the Denon PMA 510 (love the clickly relay for changing input), which received nasty reviews here. The £300 NAD amplifier wasn't as good in comparison (this was only after a brief test, using those two Mexican people, playing guitars at rates unparalled before or since). The speakers used were Dali Lector 2s. Here's the music - it was on a CD - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VFWA2YKdo

Anyway, any advice or recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Edit - I've been looking at things like the CA A5, as they seem to be common on ebay at the moment.

A

Anonymous

Reduced down to £250 now at Richer Sounds: NAD C326BEE.

A

Anonymous

I've had a look on ebay, particularly at faulty amplifiers (there's around 5 A5s faulty at the moment...), as I figure that, being cheap, I wouldn't mind removing one of the inputs, and making it into a pre-out. I don't think I'd want to do such a thing to the denon, as it would be brand new etc... I just don't understand why there's not more amps with pre-outs - the A5 has one, then there's very little until you spend a lot more money.

I have considered such DIY opportunities, but, after adding up the cost for a nice case etc, and the amount of time they would take (I'm good with a soldering iron, but not that good.

Chris

PS - what are your listening impressions of the PMA 510?

A

Anonymous

Yes, the two Denons are similar, but the 700 (now the 710) has more power output, but the rest (including aesthetics) stays the same.

Looking through the ads is a good idea, so I think I'll go buy a newspaper........

I've noticed a few 640As, but they look pretty similar to the one I have, and, of course, the clicky input changer is not present.

The review in a WHF mag says the midrange of the 640A v2 isn't as good as it could be, and that's a problem - I'd sacrifice a little in the bass for a little in the midrange (I've got a sub, so bass isn't an issue). After a visit to richer sounds, I was recommended the 340A SE, which comes in at around £150, and would match my speakers better, as they're (slightly) short on treble, especially when used off-axis.

I've been trying to find a Marantz 6002, which received the best buy up to £500. It was £270 when reviewed, so I expect i could get one cheaper. It's only problem is the lack of a tone control defeat button, which is present on the denon and several others. I'd want something like that so I can bypass them when people have been mucking around - most teenagers see a bass control, and have to have it all the way up.

Another option is the Rotel RA-04, but again, the midrange isn't the best, and it looks a bit "standard"

I'm probably rambling now, so I'll be quiet and wait for a reply.

Thanks

Chris

A

Anonymous

HiFiAddict:
It's only problem is the lack of a tone control defeat button, which is present on the denon and several others.

Isn't that what the source direct button is for?

A

Anonymous

I meant the problem with the Marantz PM6002 - there's no tone defeat button.

With the Denon, you're right in saying there is a button with said function.

A

Anonymous

The source direct button on the Marantz PM6002 bypasses the tone controls. It's just another name for tone defeat.

A

Anonymous

The image I have ( in one of those WHF mags they release occasionally, which has hundreds of reviews of amps, speakers, etc), shows no such thing. Here it is - "Ultimate Guide to HiFi"

Ah - I see the problem now. The position of the button is embedded right into the spine of the mag.

Anyway, opinions of this, anyone?

The reviewer seemed to love it, but there's hints out there that each brand has it's own sound - please could someone outline these for me so I can choose from there - this would be much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts