Thinking of replacing PV1

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The PV1 as magnificent as it is, poses a placement nightmare for me, if I place it between the front speaker and center, then one driver fires into me front speaker and one into the cabinet due to its unique design. If I place it in the corner then I have reflections and it means the front of my living room looks like an auditorium.

So I was thinking velodyne? One driver at the front and can sit between cabinet and front speaker nicely.

What do you guys suggest for my setup :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Good plan. The obvious replacement presuming you do not want a massive jump in performance as well is the Paradigm Seismic 110. It is a small high performing forward firing unit with built in room eq. It is every bit as good as the PV1 and from the demonstrations we have completed in store it out performs the B&W before you add in the EQ.

If you are looking for a step up the first thing that comes to mind is the JL Audio F110. It is very well finished and has a compact footprint, room eq and a real kick. The PV1 is still selling well used so the trade up shouldnt be too deadly.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Son of SJ - Room size is 28x12 but my system is confined to a 14x12 vieing area. Its a through lounge :)
NO more than £2000 on Sub and yes this is the PV1 not the PV1-D.

Nick- I would like a step up. I shall have a look at the JL you mention. Hoping I can get something like £600 ish for mine. Maybe hoping too much, but we shall see :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm trying to work out exactly where your sub is - is it inside the front left or inside the front right speaker?

For less than a SPL1000 (and with probably the same footprint, maybe slimmer), you could look at the Ken Kreisel DXD808. It uses dual 8" drivers - one on what would be classed as the right hand side, and one underneath. Depending which way round you position it depends on whether the driver is facing the wall or free space.

Although it is a dual 8" (roughly equivalent in area to a single 10"), I'd quite confidently pitch it against any sub using a 12" driver. Depth is pretty stunning for its size, but it is speed and detail where it stands out above the competition. It uses the same dual push/pull amplification as its bigger brother, the DXD12012, so there's no shortage of power - it just seems to be effortless. This will be a major step up over your PV1 in almost every way.

With the spare change, and if you want to EQ it, there's plenty left for an Antimode 8033.

A few of us were talking today about the 808 (which a work colleague owns) and he said the more he hears it, the more he is convinced it reaches deeper and is more detailed than his previous MX350! While I never owned a 350, I had extensive use of one at work, and I have to say, I'm beginning to agree with him.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Evening David,

It is inside of my left speaker, I certainly want a step up from it, after all why sell if not to get something better :) I am on the hifix site now and will take a look. I really want to get the most out this current setup.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
David those subs have dual drivers too, I will have the same problem with not enough clearance for it to breathe. Corners don't work as the CM8's are 2 foot away.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget that the second driver is underneath.

The side firing driver can fire whichever way you choose, be it into free space or against a wall. My DXD12012 is currently between my centre speaker and my right hand speaker, placed sideways with the side firing driver facing the wall - this way, it protrudes less into the room, even less than the single 12" drivered sub I had before it. So I have a better sub and more space :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting! Even more interesting that you have an ex demo one! I need to sell my PV1 ASAP. One quick one David, my floors are hardwood, is it wise to have this sub, with a down facing speaker?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Do we? I never see what gets added to the website as ex-display until I get a list and copy it over to the forum posts we have for ex-demo stuff!

A hardwood floor is fine, if anything better. Mine is sitting on an Auralex Gramma, but that's because it isn't sited on a ground floor.

Hi duaplex

If you're looking at up to £2k on a new sub woofer then (as has already been mentioned) i also feel that you should try JL Audio's Fathom f110. I've found Fathom sub woofers to be unfussy about room positioning (which is no doubt helped with their on board room Optimization - A.R.O). The Fathom gives deep, tight, weighty, fast, punchy and powerful pulsating waves of bass.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

htuser

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
hi thanks in advance. i have kef r400d that's part of kef's new r series. it has a dual speakers. it sits on marble floorin beneath the cabinet but the space on sides is marginally 4 inches on either sided. im not feeling the effect of any low frequencies. will i get some inprovement if i place one of its speakers to face front and the other firing back against cabinet wall?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi duaplex

If you're looking at up to £2k on a new sub woofer then (as has already been mentioned) i also feel that you should try JL Audio's Fathom f110. I've found Fathom sub woofers to be unfussy about room positioning (which is no doubt helped with their on board room Optimization - A.R.O). The Fathom gives deep, tight, weighty, fast, punchy and powerful pulsating waves of bass.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Second person to mention this sub, it's worth investigating. Thanks Rick!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
htuser said:
hi thanks in advance. i have kef r400d that's part of kef's new r series. it has a dual speakers. it sits on marble floorin beneath the cabinet but the space on sides is marginally 4 inches on either sided. im not feeling the effect of any low frequencies. will i get some inprovement if i place one of its speakers to face front and the other firing back against cabinet wall?

Because every room is acoustically different, I would say its worth a try. Best way Is trial and error, don't go by other peoples layout either.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
duaplex said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Just checked - the ex-demo we have is the DXD12012, not the 808 :)

Thats the one :) for that price it's tough to resist!

That ones another ball game! As with the 808 punching above its weight, I'd pitch this against many more expensive subwoofers that are on the market at the moment. There aren't many manufacturers using dual 12" drivers, but there are some manufacturers charging up to £6k for this sort of arrangement, and even then it is just a straight dual 12", not a push/pull design.

htuser

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
thank you duaplex. i will try. its heavy. with frequent pullingout and in and moving to place in different positions will any damage occurs to sub?

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
duaplex said:
Then it's settled, I am putting my PV1 up for sale :)

IMO. It is only worth changing for a good step up in performance.............so I think you are doing the right thing.

As always I find myself in agreement with you CnoEvil :) Thank you for the vote of confidence!

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
htuser said:
thank you duaplex. i will try. its heavy. with frequent pulling

out and in and moving to place in different positions will any damage occurs to sub?

Of course not, unless you drop it :O Which you wont :)

Remember with subs and any speaker in general a few centimeters (forward, back, right or left) can make a huge difference to the way it sounds. What im saying is, the movement does not need to be so dramatic, but give it a try, you may move it to one side of the room and find it works a treat. Your aim is to avoid any reflections and fine tune.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts