Thinking of a new amp- where to start?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I currently have an Exposure pre XV11 and power XV111, must be at least 15 years old and still going strong.

What bugs me after all these years is the lack of remote volume control and as the years advance, its getting a pain to get up every time i want to adjust it.

My speakers are Usher Be-718's which according to reviews like plenty of power to drive them as they are not rated as so sensitive.

I guess a budget in the range of £1500 up to a max of £2000

Suggestions where to start?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Your current amps are very well thought of - was there no remote version within that range?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I never saw any remote option when i bought them many years ago. The volume control is also very noisy, but other than that it's only the desire for a remove volume control that drives the change.

This pre/power combo seems to drive the speakers pretty ok, but reviews talk about 100-300 watts per channel with high current ability to really make these speakers sing to their best.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I have just seen a Parasound P3/A23 pre/power amp advertised on offer. Has anyone ever had any listening experience to this combo and can comment?

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Not a lot of suggestions here, i guess everyone is shell shocked with the Linn announcement.

Just a question, if i was to get an Exposure 3010S Integrated that has a remote i believe, can i wire in my current power amp in some way?

John Duncan

Right IJ, I'll help you out.

Yes, the 3010s has preouts so you could bi-amp to even more effect than you do at the moment - run speaker cable from the integrated to the tweeter, interconnects from preout on the 3010s to the power amp, speaker cable from the power amp to the woofer on the ushers.

Alternatively, you may find that the 3010s, being a fairly beefy integrated, is an improvement over your existing setup, you may not - remember that your Exposure pre/power combo are pretty good amps...

Course, you could always look at a s/h Primare pre/power, or even just the i30 integrated that's on the 'bay at the moment for less than 900 quid...
emotion-2.gif

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that John

It's really the remote that i want. I seem to be forever getting up and down to adjust/tweak the volume. Lazy, maybe, but after a long day at work and i want to relax, the remote is important.

I am overseas these days, so e-bay is not really an option for now. The shop where i bought the Usher speakers from suggests that the Usher P1.5 power with a Parasound P3 would be worth a listen as the speakers really like power. That combo would be well under £2000, a touch more expensive than the Parasound pre/power

There just appears to be so much choice and i don't get a lot of time to spend auditioning in shops

IJ:

Thanks for that John

It's really the remote that i want. I seem to be forever getting up and down to adjust/tweak the volume. Lazy, maybe, but after a long day at work and i want to relax, the remote is important.

I am overseas these days, so e-bay is not really an option for now. The shop where i bought the Usher speakers from suggests that the Usher P1.5 power with a Parasound P3 would be worth a listen as the speakers really like power. That combo would be well under £2000, a touch more expensive than the Parasound pre/power

There just appears to be so much choice and i don't get a lot of time to spend auditioning in shops

John just beat me to it. Another option (it's my pick of the moment) Leema Pulse. I've been waxing lyrical about this amp recently. It also is well specified: has a MM and MC phono stage, pre-outs plus the ususal inputs. The only sour note is the remote is err.....very basic.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Just an update. The choice here for amps is overwhelming, everything from the USA, UK, France, Germany etc, etc. Spent hours reading through reviews and scouring the Internet.

In the end as audition time was limited i listened to the Parasound P3/A23 pre/power and the P3 with the Usher P1.5 power amp.

The first was good, but the P3/Usher combo just blew me away. It was like lifting a cover off the speakers.

As a previous customer the shop gave me an unbelievable deal, so no choice, i had to get.

Ok, the downside is carrying the 40Kg power amp to and from the car

Thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts