Thinking about the NAD C 658 instead of...

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone

I'm thinking about the NAD C 658 instead of the NAD C 368 (with the MDC BluOS 2i Module). But I need a little help understanding what amplification I need for the streamer.

NAD class the C 685 as a streamer/Preamplifier. Does this mean I need a power amplifier or a regular amplifier to attach to it? Depending on what you suggest, would a regular amplifier have any effect on the sound or is it simply providing the power?

I have listened to the NAD C 368 amp and loved the sound, but wonder if the streamer is the better way to go. The streamer is more expensive than the C 368, so I'd like to keep the cost down for the amplification element.

If anyone can give me a little help, I would appreciate it. One important thing for me is that I would prefer two components from the same company for aesthetic / visual reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I could spend 500 Euros more (on top of the C658). One other point I forgot to mention was the C658 supports Dirac Live. I'm not sure if this is worth the extra money.

I could spend 500 Euros more (on top of the C658). One other point I forgot to mention was the C658 supports Dirac Live. I'm not sure if this is worth the extra money.
Unfortunately the NAD C268 are more than your budget otherwise I would recommend that. Of course you could use any power amp but one from same manufacturer is more aesthetically pleasing.

manicm

Firstly, thanks for the response! I've done a bit more research and I've come to a point where I have a couple options i'm considering.

The first option is the 'Rotel RA-1572 Integrated Amplifier' rated at 120w pch at 8 ohms for about $2,519 AUD possibly can get a better deal.

The second option is to spend a little more money and go with the 'Rotel RB1552 MKII Stereo Power Amplifier' Also rated 120W pch at 8 ohms. for about $1,619AUD

As well as the 'Rotel RC-1572 Preamplifier' for another $1799AUD though getting both from the same dealer i'd hope to get a bit more of a discount purchasing both.

Anyways, I was wondering what your opinions may be.

Another thing is, do you think the B&W603 when setup at a proper location against an actual wall will produce a good enough bass response? given it's powered properly without a sub? I don't expects floor shaking bass, but just enough to make the sound feel 'full' right now in it's temporary setup, it's somewhat recessed further into the room, the only 'solid' surface behind it is some PA speakers, so the bass port doesn't really have anywhere to go. Once I get an amp and move it to a smaller living-room setup, it will be able to be in front of an actual wall. Do you think these towers can produce enough bass? or should I be also looking into a sub?
I listen to a lot extreme metal (but also 70s prog), a lot of double bass drums, I like to hear the speed of them, but also the low end that comes with it. Don't need to be house shaking, but enough to feel a little power behind it.

Thank you for taking the time to read through this, I appreciate your help!

You‘ll be paying a fair fortune for the C658 - £1500 RRP. Save up or twist your local dealers arm for a deal with the C268. You’ll have a mid to high-end source so you absolutely don’t want to skimp on amplification. Or explore other options. You’ll need speakers too?

As a more cost effective option NAD themselves suggest pairing the C368 with the C268. This may not make immediate sense, but it beefs up your amplification and opens up additional speaker configurations.

From what I read Dirac works well, with a little tweaking at the end. Get your measuring tape out.

Last edited:

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
A little update. I've had the Dali Opticon 6 speakers, NAD C368 with the MDC BluOS 2i Module for a few weeks now and am very happy. However, I recently read that Dali announced the MK2 version of the speakers. You can imagine how I felt reading that. Today I returned the speakers in exchange for the MK2 versions. I was very grateful for the dealer's 60 day buy and try deal :) I feel better knowing that I have the newer tech now.

The dealer said something about playing white and pink noise for 2 x 8 hours. Anyone heard of this for running in speakers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts