The worst phrase in hifi

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Breeder:I'll openly admit I really dislike Russ Andrews. I have my own reasons but his claims are largely overexaggerated and most of what he sells is well overpriced. Having met the man himself I found him to be incredibly arrogant and would never buy anything he sells.

Hmmm, that's a different story and I would abstain from buying his products too if I'd had that experience.

I'm afraid by 'openly admitting' that you dislike the man your reasons should'nt be your own anymore mate. If you find the products to expensive that's one thing. Are his claims exaggerated? I don't know but a cursory glance at his website confirms he still operates a buy or return policy so no risk there. Plus have you tried all the products he makes claims for, I think perhaps not but I might be wrong. Bottomline, my friend, is not to judge or condemn what you dont know. If you had a bad experience with the man, and lets face it, we only have your story of the side, put it in a way that is in perspective, not a blanket condemnation.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
for me, i could quite happily never hear the word audiophile again. it smacks of a middle aged bloke (or woman) in a dirty mac, playing with over-priced audio esoterica (thats a bit of a mouthful...is it even english...?), spending his few spare waking hours trying to avoid an asbo for hanging round the local hifi shop. And he/she hasnt engaged with actual music since since 1975. or thereabouts. you get my point.

Eurgh!!! Shudder!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:JoelSim:
Breeder:I'll openly admit I really dislike Russ Andrews. I have my own reasons but his claims are largely overexaggerated and most of what he sells is well overpriced. Having met the man himself I found him to be incredibly arrogant and would never buy anything he sells.

Hmmm, that's a different story and I would abstain from buying his products too if I'd had that experience.

I'm afraid by 'openly admitting' that you dislike the man your reasons should'nt be your own anymore mate. If you find the products to expensive that's one thing. Are his claims exaggerated? I don't know but a cursory glance at his website confirms he still operates a buy or return policy so no risk there. Plus have you tried all the products he makes claims for, I think perhaps not but I might be wrong. Bottomline, my friend, is not to judge or condemn what you dont know. If you had a bad experience with the man, and lets face it, we only have your story of the side, put it in a way that is in perspective, not a blanket condemnation.

This is all geting incredibly preachy and probably hypocritical. He has been investigated. The complaint was upheld. We all generalise to a certain degree about a company, based on less than complete knowledge of all their claims about all their products, and we all pick and choose where to apply the "smoke/fire" principle. Moreover, taking against someone coz you found them to have an objedctionasl personaluity in some way is perfectly fine (tho ill concedde that it may not bother me, as most businesses with any kind of reputation probably have big egos at their centre).

granted, the cost point isnt really an issue - they offer a money back guarantee, and if you cant afford it, maybe you shouldnt even try it (the situation i contentedly find myself in - if i did hear an expensive product and was impressed, id look for it cheaper or resign myself to saving or not having it).

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:

Do 'we'? I judge what I know and dont give a damn if I happen to not agree with the marketing as long as I like the product.

yes. yes we do. and people are quite entitled not to have you lecture them on their criteria on what theyll buy and who from.

I'd agree with your other point tho - if you really are interested you find out if you like it and buy it - tho the marketing (and any conroversies around it) will influence many people's decisions whther to even go that far.

For me it isnt an issue or that particular company, as they sell very little i can afford, itd be foolish for me to even bother demoing their stuff.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Indeed they can and I did'nt, my problem is with dragging someone through the dirt wholesale so to speak. D'love to carry our chat on but have to go to work. Someone has to run the country, today it looks it'll be me.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:

Indeed they can and I did'nt, my problem is with dragging someone through the dirt wholesale so to speak. D'love to carry our chat on but have to go to work. Someone has to run the country, today it looks it'll be me.

LOL! "We're doomed, I tell ye"!

A

Anonymous

Any company worth anything can deal with rumours,lies..tales etc and still carry on doing business and making good products.

Russ Andrews doesnt need no help from drummerman me or anyone else,
There products are there words/sword and they should be able to do the business for them.

Theres a bit to much lefty wing nancy pancy to this forum sometimes you know.

This thread is starting to remind of the dealer thread the otherweek....now that was a read....

Russ Andrews EDITED by nancy pancy Mods drummerman honestly, thats why hes where he is.

Your words are fair, but fair doesnt mean right, I take it you dont own your own business DM.....as you wouldnt make a penny...

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry you're making alot of assumptions about what I do and don't know and what I can and can't afford. Saying that I can't have an opinion because I haven't tried all the products from a company is just stupid....we based our opinions on the experiences we do have. I based the overpriced statement on cost of making alot of his "high end cables" which I have reliable information on.

Anyway, if you like Russ Andrews products then good luck to you. I just don't think much of him or his products so its not for me.

A

Anonymous

You guys should calm it. Russ Andrews is always going to be controversial, some people hate the company some people don't mind it. This is an old and well known argument, I would hope we should be able decide for ourselves, the facts are readily available.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Surely, reference is the system the reviewers refer to...as a point of reference, without a marker wouldn't it be more difficult to judge?

ÿ

we have a winner! thanks Joel that was my point exactly :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts