The Wife wants a turntable!?!?!?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
In a very leftfield turn of events, The Wife has decided she wants a turntable* for all the old vinyl in her parent's loft.

My A85 doesn't have the optional phono board fitted, so was thinking about the Pro-ject Debut 3 SB/Phono which has a phono stage built in.

Could be swayed by the Pro-Ject Debut carbon plus a separate phono stage if the consensus was the sound would be much better.

Any thoughts?

*Must be white.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
In a very leftfield turn of events, The Wife has decided she wants a turntable* for all the old vinyl in her parent's loft.

My A85 doesn't have the optional phono board fitted, so was thinking about the Pro-ject Debut 3 SB/Phono which has a phono stage built in.

That would have to be 2nd hand (or at least old stock), Pro-Ject don't make a TT with built in phono stage anymore, I asked them last week.

Could be swayed by the Pro-Ject Debut carbon plus a separate phono stage if the consensus was the sound would be much better.

Any thoughts?

Have a look at the vinyl and see if the condition warrants spending too much, from recollection the Debut Carbon is quite a lot more money than the 3 was, and you're looking at 50 quid for their basic Phono stage which will sit neatly under the TT, I'm not sure the Box range of phono stages will fit underneath.

How much would it be to have the A85's optional stage retro-fitted, if that's even possible? It'd save you needing another power supply and pair of phono cables at least.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Rega Fono Mini A2D phono stage (£85) also has a built-in analogue to digital converter and USB output as well as the usual analogue RCA outputs.

This means your wife could have fun digitising some of the best stuff. She could make MP3 CDs or pop the files onto a memory stick for the car or load them onto her MP3 player.

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Can you get a vintage used TT from the 70's like a Pioneer? It will most likely outperform any new budget TT from Pro-ject and Rega and be much cheaper so you can spend the difference on a better cart. Get an used phono stage and spend the rest on music.

if you must get a new one, I'd look for a Rega RP1 and a Fono Mini A2D. If you look around thoroughly, you can get both under £300.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris said:
*Must be white.

Rega RP1 is available in white (£230)...

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP1.htm

image-f630x378-ffffff-C-acb00e76-44004342.jpg

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Big Chris said:

That would have to be 2nd hand (or at least old stock), Pro-Ject don't make a TT with built in phono stage anymore, I asked them last week.

Any thoughts?

How much would it be to have the A85's optional stage retro-fitted, if that's even possible? It'd save you needing another power supply and pair of phono cables at least.

My first thought was to get the phono stage for the A85 primarily for the reasons you list, plus aesthetics.

The A85's a bit of a dinosaur now, so doubt Arcam would be able to help. Can't hurt to ask them though. I'll be keeping my eyes open on eBay aswell.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Cheap MM preamp can be yours off ebay for less than £20. That'll get you started. No it won't sound like something four times the price or greater, but if all this turns out to be a flash in the pan, you've not lost much money either. If you find vinyl-replay getting addictive you can always buy a better phono-stage later on.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I'd also suggest you look at a used turntable for two reasons. Main one being it will probably sound a lot better. I bought a Project Genie (2 I think) to get back into vinyl, and whilst the kids loved it (expecially the red looks) sound wise it was decidedly average. So I bought a Thorens 160 Super with a Rega arm, stuck a new Ortofon Red cartridge on it - bingo, much better sound. Night and day

Oh the second reason? I'm now getting out of vinyl (again!), so you might see aforementioned items on eBay soon (inc two phono stages, a VPI cleaning machine, and a few LP's!). End of sales pitch before I upset the moderators!

Fulci

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ah, sorry, I missed that "must be white"...

Well, Harman Kardon had some beautiful TTs made in the 70s like the ST7 with a Rabco tangential tonearm. Luxmann had a few gorgeous ones with a white top too.

But you'll be fine with a RP1... Avoid the Debut III as it had terrible humming issues, but I think the carbon is a bit of a step-up. If it comes with an Ortofon 2M Red it's good enough.

Stan Beresford has a few phono preamps for £20 though never tested them myself so I can't honestly say anything about them. But if they are anything like his DACs, they can only be great. You can also find Cambridge's 540P used for cheap.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I can vouch that the performance pack is worth the money!

Its a brilliant TT for the money.......I just sold mine but it has given me an introduction to vinyl - Im on the uprade path to an RP3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts