The turntable is set up

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Err, no.

In my experience vinyl versions of albums normally sound 'bigger' and more lush with a better sense of timing and more drive and 'drama' than the CD.

I drag myself out of my chair and away from the remotes and computer etc. to give myself a treat with an LP.

(Would not be worth hanging on to and going through all the 'palava' involved otherwise.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
That's what I was expecting. Just listening to Songs in the key of Life and it sounds a bit tizzy and lacking in midrange compared to the CD I have of the same album.ÿ

Do you think it could be one or more of the following:

- Graham Slee amp is brand new and needs hours worth of running in

- OMB5E cartridge is very basic

- debut II is budget compared to my CD192

- Incorrect setup

ÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Anyway give it at least 30 hours playing time before doing anything rash. Just like beef and good Cheddar it needs a bit of time to develop some depth
emotion-1.gif
(The cartridge especially needs time to loosen up a bit.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I will. Just done a very quick A/B on CD/vinyl and the CD is definitely far superior in every way, even on a quick snapshot

ÿ

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
should be the other way round....my pro-ject expression mk1 with an ortofon tango mc knocks my marantz cd17 mk2 ki into the weeds.

I have the same albums on cd and vinyl, the difference is night and day....

nads

what Vinyl do you have? what condition is it in?

some of my vinyl blows the socks of the CD and as a general rule it is as good except for when dirty or damaged.

And my phono stage is not as good as yours.

A

Anonymous

Joel, that cartridge isn't the easiest to setup, so check with the alignment with the protractor that comes with the turntable.

Also, if you're playing new vinyl, particularly the re-mastered stuff, it is to my ears on the bright and thin side. If you can find a secondhand copy of Love over Gold, it's one of the best-produced LPs of all time and also one that should comfortably out-perform the CD. The original Sade and Tracy Chapman LPs are also good to use references.

Yes, you do have a base-level cartridge, especially given that pre-amp, but it should be a good match for the arm. Has it been used recently? As others have suggested, it takes a while for things to loosen up with cartridges.

A

Anonymous

All my Stevie Wonder LPs sound weak. Try something newer, that was mastered digitally, like The Pet Shop Boys.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Defeating the object, a direct master from the original master tapes perhaps but not digitally remastered also if i believe right Joel you dont have that many records to play around with yet so there will be a few duff sounding ones like many CD's.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
My own recent experience - i bought a good Rega Planar 2 / Audio Technica AT95E for £90 as i wanted to try out vinyl again and picked up a couple of new and a few old vinyl to try.

Using the Arcam phono stage i have to say it was very very good indeed - great sound which was actually very similar to the Arcam CD to be honest but not quite as good. In my case it wasnt lacking richness or bass or lushness at all but the CD was delivering a lot more detail and a clearer presentation. Now that said this is no surprise to me given the original price of the CD and the Rega.

So whilst the CD is better overall - in terms of value the Rega is amazing and if i was starting from scratch would be seriously happy with it over a budget CD player. In my case i do like the turntable experience as an alternative and can get some very cheap vinyl locally to take a chance on some unheard albums.

The turntable is going to have to work hard to beat an Arcam 192 given the quality of the CD but also i wouldnt have thought a 'weedy' sound is likely from vinyl unless the phono presention is of a very different nature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts