The TRUTH about the KEF LS 50

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest change for the better that I've noticed in the evolution of my system was how much more musically engaging the change from Arcam to MF made it. There is more to it than just distortion. But clearly the MA speakers couldn't let everything shine through, so it's swings and roundabouts. It seems logical to me that when the balance strays too far, you're likely not to be getting the best result for a given outlay.

D

Deleted member 116933

The biggest change for the better that I've noticed in the evolution of my system was how much more musically engaging the change from Arcam to MF made it. There is more to it than just distortion. But clearly the MA speakers couldn't let everything shine through, so it's swings and roundabouts. It seems logical to me that when the balance strays too far, you're likely not to be getting the best result for a given outlay.

Distortion is like the god particle to some. The only number that really matters on a spec sheet is the transformers VA number

and agree its all about balance.

Reactions: 12th Monkey
Who cares? It doesn't seem that bad, or even to be what I would consider a 'review'.

I think we'd be suggesting to anyone who was considering them that they go and listen. This is getting a bit boring - going on about a particular product in one thread is one thing, but when it's all a contributor ever does it's quite another...

Besides, there's no opinion so crackpot that you won't find adherents to it on the internet, so I repeat: who cares?

TrevC

I agree with regard to amplifier and speakers, as long as the amplifier delivers enough current to the chosen speakers, but I still believe to some extent in Linn's rubbish in rubbish out philosophy. If the source isn't good enough to provide all the information in the first place, nothing down the chain can change that, although it is more of an issue with vinyl than CD or high resolution digital sources.
That's a little confused because you flipped from discussing amplifiers to talking about sources. My point is that powerful amplifiers with inaudible distortion levels are available cheaply because electronics is cheap, so an inexpensive amp can more than comfortably drive expensive speakers.

matthewpiano

That's a little confused because you flipped from discussing amplifiers to talking about sources. My point is that powerful amplifiers with inaudible distortion levels are available cheaply because electronics is cheap, so an inexpensive amp can more than comfortably drive expensive speakers.

I get your point, but there is still importance in remembering that spending the most of speakers isn't necessarily the best move. The source is every bit as important.

PrylarSwe

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
There is a reason why there is so many LS50 on second hand market. You are guessing right - many buyers regret the purchase. I've listened LS50 in a small and in a large room. Driven by small, fine class A amps and large expensive beasts. Even with a middle sized Naim pre/power combo which usually sounds good with any (good) speaker. Played vinyl on LP12 and played hires digital formats from quality sources. For me the results were of course slightly different with different equipment and space, but these two things were always there - LS50 cannot be used without a sub. If you like female voices do not get this speaker, it can not play female voices correctly. I would not call this "truth" but if you are using LS50 and you are not noticing these two (for me - major) flaws then you can get ANY pair of speakers and they will sound good to your ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surly Sid
D

Deleted member 2457

WHF are certainly not alone in their glowing review:

matthewpiano

There is a reason why there is so many LS50 on second hand market. You are guessing right - many buyers regret the purchase. I've listened LS50 in a small and in a large room. Driven by small, fine class A amps and large expensive beasts. Even with a middle sized Naim pre/power combo which usually sounds good with any (good) speaker. Played vinyl on LP12 and played hires digital formats from quality sources. For me the results were of course slightly different with different equipment and space, but these two things were always there - LS50 cannot be used without a sub. If you like female voices do not get this speaker, it can not play female voices correctly. I would not call this "truth" but if you are using LS50 and you are not noticing these two (for me - major) flaws then you can get ANY pair of speakers and they will sound good to your ears.

That's your opinion, to which you are entitled, but the LS50s can handle female voices when matched and set-up properly.
They are also as capable as any stand mount of working well without a sub. It would be interesting if you could elaborate, with some musical examples and with some details on how you feel these 'shortcomings' manifest.

D

Deleted member 2457

There is a lot of everything on eBay at the moment, probably because so many people experiencing financial hardship and the people who aren’t are bored senseless and box switching.If you think these sales are because KEF have been “found out” there are plenty of alternative possibilities.
Plus they were first released in 2012 weren’t they? So they are bound to be on eBay now.

Plus they were first released in 2012 weren’t they? So they are bound to be on eBay now.
True, and I’ve always thought that their ‘giant killer’ reviews probably tempted many who knew they could resell.

I bought a nearly new pair about 18 months ago for £550. (The first owner had got them for a surround system, but switched to floorstanders, plus Atmos)

They were a great listen, and I could have lived with them if I had to do without my ATCs. The plan was to use them in a second system, but realistically that was some way off - my study needs a huge clear out! - so I sold them for the same money via another forum.

I would have them again any time, especially the new Metas. I suspect they appreciated the decent source and amplifier.

BE26A111-33B4-4488-8A83-E5F86408FE88.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2457

True, and I’ve always thought that their ‘giant killer’ reviews probably tempted many who knew they could resell.

I bought a nearly new pair about 18 months ago for £550. (The first owner had got them for a surround system, but switched to floorstanders, plus Atmos)

They were a great listen, and I could have lived with them if I had to do without my ATCs. The plan was to use them in a second system, but realistically that was some way off - my study needs a huge clear out! - so I sold them for the same money via another forum.

I would have them again any time, especially the new Metas. I suspect they appreciated the decent source and amplifier.

View attachment 1822
Nice. (y)

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
WHF are certainly not alone in their glowing review:

There are a lot of bad reviews in forums. A simple Google search reveals the truth.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
I’m not sure who is the rag and who is the bull. I’d love to know how many LS50s that KEF have actually sold. I suspect a lot!
Of course they sold a lot. Mags like What Hifi and Stereophile BSed people into buying them. People bought LS50s thinking they were getting a giant killer, a Class A product that could compete with 50K$ speakers from Magico and Wilson.
How disappointed they were... That is why the used market is flooded with used LS50s and has been for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts