The Sound on TVs

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Why are tv manufacturers not including great sound anymore on their tvs?

Sound is an important part of a tv, so why the immersion?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:

gel:so why the immersion?

Keeps the TV warm overnight...?

I thought long and hard about that word and i am guessing it's not right is it?
emotion-1.gif

So why not the enclusion on tvs?

Any better?

Two reasons:

1) The manufacturers are striving to make slimmer TVs. So there's no room to leave an airspace behind the speakers, compromising its quality.

2) Home cinema systems have taken off in a big way in recent years & many don't use TV speakers anymore. The same manufacturers also make home cinema systems.......so more sales.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss:

Two reasons:

1) The manufacturers are striving to make slimmer TVs. So there's no room to leave an airspace behind the speakers, compromising its quality.

2) Home cinema systems have taken off in a big way in recent years & many don't use TV speakers anymore. The same manufacturers also make home cinema systems.......so more sales.

Bigboss for everyday tv do you use your home cinema systems speakers?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 2457

hunnyy:

gel,

I believe the word you've been feverishly scrambling for is ommission.

emotion-2.gif
that's the word
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Thanks

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
gel:bigboss:

Two reasons:

Bigboss for everyday tv do you use your home cinema systems speakers?

Thanks
I certainly do. My old TV had its own 5:1 system (Big old Hitachi CRT) but that sounded so poor compared with my home cinema that I did not use it even for the news. When I bought the Kuro I did not waste my money on speakers.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Well, as stated in above posts - they simply can't get "decent" sound from the ever smaller spaces available in modern screens. For most the sound is still acceptable for normal viewing though. Many wanting better for movie watching simply buy the matching set of 5.1 speakers from the TV manufacturer (usually horrible, bass heavy and muffled sound!).

I think "Hi-Fi" style 5.1 systems are actually in decline after massive growth from the late 90's onwards - most dealers are reporting more of a resurgence in 2 channel sound lately. I think part of the reason is that despite the slimmer screens offering weaker sound than the old CRT's they also take up relatively little space, making the mess of Hi-Fi boxes and wires even less appealing (including style systems). So while DVD growth helped promote the benefits of surround sound to the masses, the larger flat screens that made the most of the better picture on offer have actually taken a little away from the cinema experience by diminishing the acoustic part of the package.

From what I can gather on the grapevine it seems that soundbars are likely to be the next audio push from the big electronics firms - which actually makes a lot of sense in UK homes where the majority of screens are still placed in corners (the worst layout for traditional 5.1!). Our replacement for the Aego-T 5.1 system is most likely going to be an active soundbar product - we have a base for the system and processing already, when we've refined the details we'll start on the relatively straightforward speaker part! We're not going for the type that bounces delayed signals around the room since those are fundamentally flawed (too much of the effect depends on the environment in which it's used)!

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:

Two reasons:

emotion-21.gif
Great post Bigboss. Short and precise.

I also stopped using my TV speaker around one year ago. Although they are not bad you get a much better result from the home cinema system.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:So why not the enclusion on tvs?

It's more about the lack of enclosure: bit hard to make speaker drive units sound good without some space in which they can work, Hence the reason big ol' CRT sets tended to sound better...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You dont have to use an AV/home cinema or hifi set-up if it's not convenient.

Plenty of decent PC speakers around. These little things would probably do the job nicely and sound better than the built-in speakers on your telly for about £75.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts