The Sky HD green screen of death!??

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Perhaps a little OTT subject title, oh well. Ive had my new Pioneer 4280, ps3 and sky hd all connected with 2 lengths of chord 1.3 silver plus hdmi cable for about a month now. Over the last 2 days i have been confronted by a neon green screen (of death). This is rather worrying as I've done the basics, checked connections, clarified inputs, checked for alien tamperings all to no avail.

Has anyone else had the same problem? If so, are you still alive to offer a remedy? or is that a silly question...

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have had this a couple of times with my SKY HD box and it is easily fixed. Simply un-plug the power cable from the Sky box and leave disconected for a few mins(go have a cuppa!) replace the power cable but do not turn your Sky box on! leave for a few more mins (finish cuppa and bickies!) then turn the Sky box back on ans you should be presented with Sky customer channel.
emotion-21.gif

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks D.JKRIME, and im glad your still alive.

Have i got this to look forward to on a regular basis then? I just love forking out all that cash to see how close i can come to knocking my tv off its pedestal pluugging and unplugging til Ive finished my tea!

A

Anonymous

Honest answer, yes. I'm on my third box in 2 months and have to switch it off and on again because of a random fault every few days. In my opinion the HD box is probably the most unreliable piece of kit since the 360.

danwood6

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Lewis201:

Honest answer, yes. I'm on my third box in 2 months and have to switch it off and on again because of a random fault every few days. In my opinion the HD box is probably the most unreliable piece of kit since the 360.

True, but what choice do we have? I have to reset mine aprox every 36 hours!!

A

Anonymous

We wait till the non-Thompson boxes come out and, if they're more reliable than the Thompson boxes, get a swap from Sky.

A

Anonymous

Considering how much you are paying for this service, and the fact that without it most LCD TV's look rubbish , I would suggest that it stinks.

I know, I know, I am a luddite.......I'll get my coat.....

A

Anonymous

I have sometimes had a problem with a green screen, that I think relates to which input the tv is reading. I solve it, not by restarting the machines, but by simply cycling through the inputs. If Sky HD is hdmi 1 then simply going through the inputs hdmi 2, ..3 Av ..etc. until returning to hdmi 1 and it is back to showing normal tv. Our old sky+ used to do a similar thing except instead of green screen used to show a frozen image. Dont know if this is your problem, but dont think it is a major issue.

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all,

I suppose its my fault really. Silly me, forking out £1'300 for a HD ready telly so i can watch HD, £125 for the 'best' hdmi leads i could lay my hands on at the time, then £75 for installation and £47 a month thereafter for a sky "HD" box that broadcasts SD on HD channels....

Oh and then you have to unplug it every 36 hours for the privelige of paying such a premium to watch SD with a HD logo in the corner.

And to top it all, the damn thing wants to kill me and take over the world with its green screen, of deeeeeath :'(

My wife doesnt like me anymore. My wallet is no longer my friend. And my 'new best mate' tv has turned into a mean green killing machine.

They dont print that end of the world / apocolyptic warning on the nicey nicey 'join the HD revolution' advertising do they!

A

Anonymous

When you set it all out like that it is mind boggling.

Still, it just reinforces my belief that the so called 'digital revolution' is the biggest heist since the Gold bullion robbery a few years ago. But they got caught.

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Technics: We know now that in the early years of the twentieth century this world was being watched closely by intelligences in a call centre greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own. We know now that as home cinema human beings busied themselves about their various HD concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacence people went to and fro over the WHFS&V forums about their little affairs, serene in the assurance of their dominion over this small spinning fragment of solar driftwood which by chance or design man has inherited out of the dark mystery of Time and Space. Yet across an immense ethereal sky dish, minds that to our minds as ours are to the beasts in the jungle, intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic, regarded our HD ready TV's with envious eyes and slowly and surely drew their plans against us..

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Technics:Technics: We know now that in the early years of the twentieth century this world was being watched closely by intelligences in a call centre greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own. We know now that as home cinema human beings busied themselves about their various HD concerns they were scrutinized and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinize the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacence people went to and fro over the WHFS&V forums about their little affairs, serene in the assurance of their dominion over this small spinning fragment of solar driftwood which by chance or design man has inherited out of the dark mystery of Time and Space. Yet across an immense ethereal sky dish, minds that to our minds as ours are to the beasts in the jungle, intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic, regarded our HD ready TV's with envious eyes and slowly and surely drew their plans against us..

Whatever you're on... I want some
emotion-2.gif

But on a serious note - we have talked to Sky about this (many times) and they know there are issues, which they are working to iron-out, both via better boxes and firmware updates. We'll keep submitting the feedback.

In the meantime, the Sky+ HD price cut is good news....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

[]

In the meantime, the Sky+ HD price cut is good news....

But as you say in the news section "But the £10 monthly fee for the HD Mix of programmes remains."

Which is why I will not be getting it. It does not cost them £10 per month more to broadcast HD than SD.

Technics

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
Ha! They are fighting back with a price cut! Fools!! (-in a nice way) We must remain strong against this alien threat of slurry SD tv disguised in HD form! In response to our findings they dangle the carrot in complete desperation, enticing those unfortunate enough not to be a part of WHFS&V forum!

The war of the 'W'evolutions green mean killing machine grows ever stronger!!

Where is Tom Cruise when you need him!??? Damn it! Had to leave a voice mail, his PA said he's currently in Valkyrie - wherever the hell that is!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
My Hd box has only turned into the Hulk and gone all green a few times and IMHO has been far more reliable than my old Sky+ box. But since I upgraded the HDD to a much bigger and quieter unit (replaced the cooling fan whilst I had the blighter in bits) it has not played up at all.

It does get my goat at the amount of upscalled SD content transmitted on HD channels but generally this is easily identified buy no HD logo in the corner of the screen, but with the upcomming EPG change it will be far easier to see what is in HD.

As for the £10 extra a month for the HD, yes its a bit of a pee take but I personally would rather pay it than miss out on LOST in HD!
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS