The Roksan Blak total power and the misleading WHF review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

davedotco said:
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
radiorog said:
K3 is definitely 2x150

Certainly in terms of manufacturers specifications. The OP has been given some duff information which he then uses in a completely unwarranted attack on WHF.

Reading between the lines, I think the OP bought the amp under the impression that it was twice the power of the K3, which it is not. Since it did not 'blow him away' with all the extra power and volume that he expected, he is looking for someone to blame.

The only area that might be a genuine issue is the onset of the protection circuitry. This might be due to the OP trying to get the amp to deliver substantially more than the K3 (it can't) or the protection circuit might be poorly setup. Impossible to know without testing.

Extra power? 150 watt is only 3 db more than 75 watt and as i remember it' has to be an increase of 10 db where people start to think it's twice as loud https://recording.org/threads/twice-as-loud-6db-or-10db.24495/

But that is a separate issue.

The OP thought he was buying an amp that was twice the power and expected a substantial increase in power and volume because of that.

He didn't get it as the amps are more or less the same power so was upset and perhaps thinking he had been 'conned'.

Few people, even on this forum, really have a grasp on the relationship between amplifier power, measured SPL and subjective loudness, it is pretty clear that the OP was expecting a lot 'more' and didn't get it.

The Blak is supposedly a lot more refined than the K3 which is not I think, what the OP was after.

Alot more, 3 db is only very little difference in the end (max spl) my car has a top speed of 220kmh would i notice if it where 235kmh mabye not unless it has faster acceleration

would i notice if i get 3 db more power, maby not but if it can handle my speakers better i might notice a difference

Max, what is "hilarious" is you insisting the Blak is half the power stated in several places, including Roksan's own website and several publications.

As already pointed out, your opening post doesn't even quote the Roksan person saying what you claim.

It is very rare for any product in the Hi-Fi category, as opposed to a cinema system or 'ghetto blaster', to quote both channels added together. Roksan clearly say wpc on their spec.

Lastly, you say 'tested' by you, and mention working in a recording studio. Have you actually measured the power output?

gasolin

nopiano said:
Max, what is "hilarious" is you insisting the Blak is half the power stated in several places, including Roksan's own website and several publications.

As already pointed out, your opening post doesn't even quote the Roksan person saying what you claim.

It is very rare for any product in the Hi-Fi category, as opposed to a cinema system or 'ghetto blaster', to quote both channels added together. Roksan clearly say wpc on their spec.

Lastly, you say 'tested' by you, and mention working in a recording studio. Have you actually measured the power output?

Some amp speaker combinations doesn't sound loud (even if they are) because of the good sound with no agressivness in the highs and because the amp has alot more power to play loud without distortion (that can make the sound harsh,sharp).

When a small amp tries to play loud it can faster,more easily sound loud because some how the sound seems loud because of distortion.

Like a subwoofer or just generally bass that sound less loud because the amp has much better control over the bass (clean and controlled bass), where a cheap amp or just one that isn't good might make the bass mubby,boom, that can give you a feeling of the bass being loud compared to clean and controlled.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The power of the K3 and the Blak is accepted as 140 and 150 watts per channel by pretty much everyone apart from the OP and an un-named 'Roksan representative'.

However, Roksan is not crystal clear on this, the website does not state 'per channel' in the specs but it does so in the manual, this is poor by Roksan who should not assume the customer understands that this is per channel.

I would be interested to know how you tested the amplifiers, as you state quite unequivically that the Blak is half the power of the Nad 375BEE, can you give us an idea how you did this?

insider9

davedotco said:
The power of the K3 and the Blak is accepted as 140 and 150 watts per channel by pretty much everyone apart from the OP and an un-named 'Roksan representative'.

However, Roksan is not crystal clear on this, the website does not state 'per channel' in the specs but it does so in the manual, this is poor by Roksan who should not assume the customer understands that this is per channel.

I would be interested to know how you tested the amplifiers, as you state quite unequivically that the Blak is half the power of the Nad 375BEE, can you give us an idea how you did this?
Just a guess but earlier reference to turning volume knobs might be the answer you're looking for DDC.

Roksan had to be turned almost all the way where NAD only half way to get the same volume. Hence NAD is twice as powerful....? *nea*

This is to paraphrase what OP said earlier.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
MaxD said:
Here the e-mail reply I got from a Roksan representative contacted by me to complain about how poor compared to K3 was my Blak sample:

"Hello Massimo

Firstly, I'm sorry that you are experiencing a problem.

Secondly, K3 power is 140wpc in to 8R and Blak is 150wpc in to 8R.

May I suggest that you contact your local dealer or the distributor for Italy to see if they can be of assistance. If necessary, they in turn can contact us.

Thank you."
I'm quoting the important part of the opening post. I've added bold italic underlining.

MaxD, I'm assuming that you have quoted the Roksan reps email, letter for letter. And that you haven't made a typo.

What do you think "150wpc in to 8R" means MaxD?

I think it means 150 Watts Per Channel into 8 ohms.

Do you think "wpc" means watts for both channels added together? If so why?

Reactions: rainsoothe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts