The Purist/vintage hi-fi thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
lindsayt said:
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
I am still waiting for someone to give a concise definition of what the heck 'purist' means..

Purist: Following very traditional rules or ideas in a subject.

So, anything after about 1965 is not purist. *unknw* eg.

- Garrard TT

- Leak Troughline Valve Tuners

- Armstrong Valve Amps

- Large wooden speakers
Garrard 301 and 401 are relatively purist, because they were the best sounding TT's Garrard could make.

The SP 25 isn't.

I would argue that purist designs can deviate the most from traditional ways of doing things. EG Quad ESL 57's, MBL Radialstrahlers.

I loved my SP25 MKV. Agree that it may not be classed as "purist" but it certainly was good for its price bracket.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Meridian M2 speakers which were amongst the first active speakers designed for home use at what could be called an affordable price for the average enthusiast and still sound good today. You might also want to consider the 101 preamp which was simple, well made, and again affordable with the key essentials.

Roger

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Roger_A said:
The Meridian M2 speakers which were amongst the first active speakers designed for home use at what could be called an affordable price for the average enthusiast and still sound good today. You might also want to consider the 101 preamp which was simple, well made, and again affordable with the key essentials.

Roger

I remember the articles on the Meridian kit at the time - Is was very highly regarded sounded quality wise. One particular hifi mag (HiFi Answers?) did some blind listening tests to the general public - and the Meridian came out on top. A good acquisition.

regards tonky

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Meridian M2's to me are very much marketing based speakers and pretty much the opposite to purist speakers.
I suppose we can have different definitions of what "purist" means. And on what characterises a purist speaker.

At the time that the M2's came out Hi-fi Answers were telling all and sundry to buy an LP12. And their ultimate system was LP12, Naim 32.5/250, Isobariks. So I would take everything they said with a huge pinch of salt.

By the way, the LP12 is not a purist turntable and has become even less so as the years have gone by. It's a marketing-lead turntable.

Anyway, even though Meridian M2's aren't purist speakers they might do a good job for ahem-gumtree for £250 ahem-cash-on-collection only, hint hint, for someone wanting OK sounding compact speakers.

insider9

nopiano said:
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/526/index.html

This must be old enough now to be vintage, and the original was a classic as well as a long lasting success. 
Not heard AE1 but AE2 are one of the best standmounts I've heard. Simply superb!

Whether they're purist or not I wouldn't mind a pair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts