the ps3 and 3d pic/sound ....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ok heres what im thinking , apparently the ps3 will be able to output 3d data over the standard 1.3 spec hdmi cables , 3d image and your regular hd sound when playing a 3d bluray , bitstreamed if dolby hd or dts ? ..

so i have the hdmi from a ps3 going into my yamaha av receiver , the receiver takes the audio data , decodes it if necessary , ie if its from a dolby hd or dts 3d blu-ray disc , and sends the sound to the speakers..

so i have another 1.3 spec hdmi cable going from my yamaha to my tv (50vt20 maybe) , this sends the 3d image data to the tv , i get the usual hd sound from my amp , and a 3d image on my tv , right ??

the reason im trying to figure this out is that i may yet buy a vt20 , its expensive but a 2nd hand ps3 is not , at least i wouldnt have to buy a e500 3d pana bdp , which added to the price of a vt20 was just too expensive for me ..

any views ? ta...

A

Anonymous

hence my asking for conformation , im thinking that sony have had 3dtvs for sale for a few months now , why hasnt the update been made available , problems ? hmmm ?

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well I done a little digging and according to some other website which I can't paste or link here basically said, other sony players like the BDP-S470, BDP-S570 and PS3 will do 3D but some people are calling it 3D lite, it will do all the 1080p 24p for both eyes, but may not support all of the qualifications of spec of 1.4 HDMI at this time.

So have no idea what will be missing being the PS3 and some other sony players are only 1.3 HDMI, so my thinking if its only 1.3 spec and your amp is only 1.3 spec I can't see why it would not work, if some one on the what hifi forums who have a 3D TV and a PS3 and running 3D games and running it though a 1.3 AMP these are the guys to ask as if that works then the BLU RAYS films will be no different IMPO.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Ok the 3d blu-ray update is due in the first week of september for the ps3,alas this will enable you to watch 3d blu-rays via your ps3.If you have the ps3 slim then it will also decode dts hd master audio,dolby true hd audio via bitstream(hdmi only).If you have a phat(love saying that) ps3 then it will decode via pcm.I have a sony kdl40hx803 3d tv and a sony str-dh810 3d pass through amp,using hdmi 1.3 with no probs at all,Watched cloudy with a chance of meat balls on 3d blu ray,And downloaded my four free 3d ps3 games via playstation network.....wipeout hd in 3d is out of this world,as is motostorm pacific rift.Just a note to tell you that 95% of ps3 or xbox games are in 720p and not 1080p.and yes maxflinn..i had to sell my onyko 605 amp as it did not have 3d pass through...but im really warming to my new sony amp...the steering is unreal for an amp at this price point,and its had a few upgrades from last year dh800.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That's some great info there grant and glad to know that if I ever go 3D I will need an AMP to do 3D pass through, but knowing I will need to replace my onkyo 875 so that't no go!, may be in a couple of years.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

thanks grant , but im still not understanding , are you saying that when using a ps3 for 3d duties , you need a 1.4 spec hdmi equipped av receiver for external sound ??

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Well from what im using then in a word no!!!!!!!!!...im using ixos hdmi cables that are 1.3b cert...and im having no problems.and yeah 007l2thrill i did not like the idea of selling my onyko 605 amp..along with my sony 360 blu-ray player,but they went to a very good home..so im happy.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:im still not understanding , are you saying that when using a ps3 for 3d duties , you need a 1.4 spec hdmi equipped av receiver for external sound ??

Max, what grant is saying, he's having no problems using older HDMI 1.3 cables, but grant's AMP is 1.4 HDMI, mine and yours are not and can not output 3D pass through, this is your AMP click HERE and it will take you to YAMAHA and click on specs and scroll down and it says HDMI 3D Capable, yours is not ticked so does not support it.

So if you want to do 3D with a PS3, then it's a new AMP or a Panasonic BD player with the 2 HDMI slots, little strange really when the PS3 is only 1.3 spec but you need a 1.4 spec AMP
emotion-43.gif
, can my sonar detect a money scam.

A

Anonymous

007L2Thrill:
maxflinn:im still not understanding , are you saying that when using a ps3 for 3d duties , you need a 1.4 spec hdmi equipped av receiver for external sound ??

Max, what grant is saying, he's having no problems using older HDMI 1.3 cables, but grant's AMP is 1.4 HDMI, mine and yours are not and can not output 3D pass through, this is your AMP click
HERE and it will take you to YAMAHA and click on specs and scroll down and it says HDMI 3D Capable, yours is not ticked so does not support it.

So if you want to do 3D with a PS3, then it's a new AMP or a Panasonic BD player with the 2 HDMI slots, little strange really when the PS3 is only 1.3 spec but you need a 1.4 spec AMP
emotion-43.gif
hi 007 , im well aware my amp is not 3d capable , but i dont think that should matter , im also obviously aware of the pana 3d players , as i mentioned in my op ..
they are too dear imo , what i dont get , is if all the data (forget the term 3d for a moment , its just data) from a 3d bluray , can be sent over a 1.3 spec hdmi cable , by a ps3 , to a tv/amp , then where is the issue with outputting sound ? the only difference is that 3d image data is sent to the tv , but it shouldnt matter what kind of data is sent , the data doesnt know what it is , the amp dont know the data is 3D DATA , its just information , the term 3d pass through is concerning alright , i smell a big fat 3d rat
emotion-5.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
maxflinn:007L2Thrill:

Max, what grant is saying, he's having no problems using older HDMI 1.3 cables, but grant's AMP is 1.4 HDMI, mine and yours are not and can not output 3D pass through, this is your AMP click
HERE and it will take you to YAMAHA and click on specs and scroll down and it says HDMI 3D Capable, yours is not ticked so does not support it.

emotion-43.gif
hi 007 , im well aware my amp is not 3d capable , but i dont think that should matter , im also obviously aware of the pana 3d players , as i mentioned in my op ..

they are too dear imo , what i dont get , is if all the data (forget the term 3d for a moment , its just data) from a 3d bluray , can be sent over a 1.3 spec hdmi cable , by a ps3 , to a tv/amp , then where is the issue with outputting sound ? the only difference is that 3d image data is sent to the tv , but it shouldnt matter what kind of data is sent , the data doesnt know what it is , the amp dont know the data is 3D DATA , its just information , the term 3d pass through is concerning alright , i smell a big fat 3d rat
emotion-5.gif

Hi max, to be honest mate it does sound like a money scam (no pun intended).

Like you say, the PS3 will have an update to make it 3D great, then most of the cheaper Sony BD player range as well even better and all are only 1.3 spec, so that means it does not need to be 1.4 spec to do 3D, so why can't your AMP and mine have a firmware update to make it 3D pass through, as I remember my onkyo 875 did not have any brightness, contrast etc controls and they was added in on a latter firmware, so that means its possible, but means less sales for the companies.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There's no suggestion that previous-generation Sony BD players can be made 3D capable, only those in the current range, which are HDMI 1.4. The upgrade to the PS3 is only possible because of the advanced 'cell' processor it uses, required for all the other things it does. And as I have already said in this thread, there's not definitive information about how 3D for Blu-ray movies will be implemented in the PS3.

And max, good luck with getting full-fat 3D through receivers without HDMI 1.4 pass-through - something tells me it ain't gonna happen.

A

Anonymous

well it may not andrew ..

heres how i see it ..

if one has a pana 3d player with two hdmi outs , and both go to a non 3d av receiver , one carries image data and one sound ? the avr outputs the sound and the image data goes through the avr and into a standard 1.3 spec hdmi to the 3dtv ?

or does one have one hdmi going to the non 3d avr and one going to the 3dtv directly ?

if its the former , why would a ps3 , inputting all the data from a 3d bluray disc into a non 3d avr , be any different ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The idea behind the Panasonic's two HDMI outputs is one goes to a non 1.4 spec AV receiver to output the HD audio and the other goes direct to the 3D TV to carry the 3D video signals. Why would you want to hook them both up to AV amps?

Besides this, according to what I've read (though I can't confirm if it's 100% accurate or not at this stage) the PS3 is not sending the full 3D signal, it's only sending 1080i to each eye as the non HDMI 1.4 port in the PS3 does not have the necessary speed to send the full 1080p signal for each eye. So even if the PS3 works through an HDMI 1.3 equipped AV amp, it doesn't necessarily mean that a fully specced 3D Blu-Ray player will.

It's all about the limitations of the hardware built into the HDMI 1.3 ports, nothing to do with scamming people. Of course, manufacturers bring out new hardware to encourage people to upgrade and thus they can maintain profits - this isn't scamming, it's capitalism.

A

Anonymous

hmmm , if thats the case prof , then each hdmi out from the 3d pana bdp must be assigned seperate duties ? audio and visual ? if so then im fairly sure your right in saying one goes to the tv and one goes to the avr ..any hdmi equipped avr ..the player must split the outgoing data ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looking in the manual for the BDT-300, that's exactly right. It tells you on page 10 when using a non 3D compatible receiver to use the HDMI Main AV Out to the 3D TV and the HDMI Sub AV Out to the AV amp (disabling the video on this output so just the audio is sent).

A

Anonymous

just read it , u beat me to it
emotion-1.gif

but it also seems possible to use the analogue outs to an avr and hdmi from "main" , using a 1.3 spec cable to the tv , though this is a moot point ..

looks like a ps3 wont work with my regular yamaha amp then .. i can get a 50vt20 for e2200 , as opposed to e1650 for a 50v20 , i was hoping a ps3 may do the trick because the pana bdp is e450
emotion-3.gif
cant warrant a e2650 spend for 3d
emotion-6.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, as I say, the PS3 may work with your Yamaha and if it does, it will provide 3D (at 1080i per eye instead of 1080p per eye, but still a 3D picture).

But there's no way to guarantee it until the firmware update is released I'm afraid. You could hold off on the purchase as I believe the update is due in September. Or just purchase the 3D version of the TV and then save up for the Panny player if it doesn't work...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just read this:

On a technical note we wondered at CES in January, when we first heard about the 3D PS3 Blu-ray update, whether the console would be able to handle the "full HD" 3D called for in the Blu-ray standard, which we were told needs HDMI 1.4-compatible hardware. Sony told us that despite the older hardware in the console, which was launched before even the HDMI 1.3 standard was available, the PS3 would have no problem delivering full HD 3D.

Hocking [Mick Hocking, senior director of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe] backed up that claim with the following quote: "The [June] upgrade basically makes every PlayStation 3 HDMI 1.4 compatible--that's the standard that governs 3D displays."

Not sure how that's possible, but itexplains the lack of clarity on the subject...

A

Anonymous

cheers prof
emotion-21.gif

if the ps3 can indeed be 1.4 enabled then that would rule out compatability with my yamaha ..

yes i could get the vt20 and hang on , but ive got some money put aside for "more important things"
emotion-16.gif
, and i just know ill blow it on a 3d pana player and 3 or 4 silly cartoon 3d blu-rays if i buy the vt20 , id be chomping at the bit for 3d
emotion-5.gif

no , my mind is made up , ill get the 50v20 , and maybe get a 3dtv in a few years if theres anything out there that i want to watch on it
emotion-21.gif

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough - have to say I think it's the sensible decision - if 3D technology in the home does take off, it's only going to get better in the next couple of years, so the TVs available then should outclass the current Panny.

Also, by this time, there might also be a decent selection of titles to choose from
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts