the pinnacle of marantz...tweaked !

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

whilst checking out videos of the marantz sa-10 sacd player i found this one.

the system includes the marantz sa-10 sacd player and its matching pm-10 amplifier - the pinnacle of the marantz range.

this video however has left me slightly baffled...

i understand that this video is from a hifi dealer who's job it is to sell hifi "kit" but the level of tweaking applied to this marantz kit even had me shaking my head !

surely top of the range kit like this does not need any "additional support" via the long list of add ons that have been applied / demonstrated in this video ?!

from my own tests mains cable "upgrades" made no difference to my kit, interconnect and speaker cable changes made subtle changes / differences and equipment supports made little differences too - apart from speakers stands that is.

overall if the add ons / tweaks in this video really make a huge difference to the performance of this, what i imagine to be properly designed kit, i'll stop dreaming of owning such kit and will stick to budget separates !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryZpBgRZxWQ

D

Deleted member 108165

The guy in this vid is certainly a salesman, but then this is the States.... you only have to think of the current inhabitant of the White House to see how gullible people can be :)

D

Deleted member 188516

The guy in this vid is certainly a salesman, but then this is the States.... you only have to think of the current inhabitant of the White House to see how gullible people can be :)

do you think he's related to russ andrews ?!

Friesiansam

overall if the add ons / tweaks in this video really make a huge difference to the performance of this, what i imagine to be properly designed kit, i'll stop dreaming of owning such kit and will stick to budget separates !
But, those add-ons are hugely expensive, they must work...

Some US prices for Nordost cables:

Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cable
Price: $2924.99 USD per 2m pair, spade or banana connectors ($525/additional 1m).
Nordost Frey 2 Interconnect
Price: $1459.99 USD per 1m pair, RCA or XLR connectors ($315/additional 0.5m).
Nordost Frey 2 Power Cord
Price: $1994.99 USD per 2m cord ($315/additional 1m).

D

Deleted member 188516

But, those add-ons are hugely expensive, they must work...

Some US prices for Nordost cables:

Nordost Frey 2 Speaker Cable
Price: $2924.99 USD per 2m pair, spade or banana connectors ($525/additional 1m).
Nordost Frey 2 Interconnect
Price: $1459.99 USD per 1m pair, RCA or XLR connectors ($315/additional 0.5m).
Nordost Frey 2 Power Cord
Price: $1994.99 USD per 2m cord ($315/additional 1m).

i'll raise you :-
(although i know the video does not feature this product thank god !)

D

Deleted member 188516

the only time / reason i can imagine adding all of those "bits" would be if you had decided that you were never ever going to change your cd player, amplifier or speakers and you were also using stock power cables, freebie interconnects, qed 79 strand speaker cable and the units were placed on any old bits of furniture.

then if an "upgrade" or change of sound was wanted (for some reason) i could understand trying different interconnect and speaker cables, possibly a mains filter and even some "fancy" isolation platforms.
if it did not cost anything to try it would prove an interesting experiment i suppose...

one point in the video that got me was the cost of those speakers and how he described that adding the nordost speaker "jumpers" (and removing the supplied links) was like removing a cloth bag from them - really ?!

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts