The new AVI ADM5 active loudspeakers.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Nice one Chebby.

Small, nice looking, connect the pre-amp/variable-output-source of your choice; domestic and pro versions available (phono vs xlr with different gain). Add to that AVI's track record with making great sounding actives and I think if nothing else you have to say that there these have a lot of potential to be great speakers, great value for money and a great solution for many people.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Oo interesting. Got any pictures? Specs? Prices? Speculation that these are better than everything else in the world even though nobody's heard them?

They have a picture...

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5336/9153891860_8bf06ce2de_c.jpg

(The ADM5 is the smaller, wood veneered one.)

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
AJ said:
Switch mode power supplies and Class D Amps.

There will be two models:

1. With a phono socket and suitable gain for iThingies and TVs etc.

2. With an XLR socket and gain for pro audio applications

We don't want two sockets and a switch on the back because it'll pick up hum and the switch will get dirty, not to mention extra cost for something few need.

Finishes will be premium veneers or textured black or white. Prices to be finalised.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think they look very tasteful and probably will sound very decent but it is not to obvious who these are aimed at.

£700 is not an inconsiderable amount of money generally speaking. I'm not debating vfm you get with the ADM5, materially speaking, they seem more than just fairly priced at £699 (if it stays that way) A pair of PMC DB1's cost a thousand pounds now for example, but they are to inflexible to be considered a main/only system, a pre-amp or streaming device/AEX is needed and most people probably don't even know what that is.

That leaves studios, owners of small editing suites and clued up computer users/gadget lovers.

I dont know if this will appeal to the pros, again it seems to lack a certain amount of flexibility and features normally associated with small monitors though I admit not knowing exactly about the requirements that group so I may well be wrong there. - One potential issue I could see with those users is the new digital amplifier and its so far un-proven reliability. I guess time will tell.

So that probably leaves clued up computer users and existing AVI owners with disposable income rather than the broad, general public which probably still spend £250 on an all-in-one surround system. That would make the ADM5 a small room, near-field second or third system for the discerning music lover and gadget freaks alike.

It will be interesting to see how these pan out and I would certainly like to hear a pair even if i can't afford them.

regards

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I guess a Beresford DAC would make a good, relatively inexpensive, digital front end. (Plus an ATV for AirPlay users.) But that's already getting messy in terms of little boxes and wires compared to the ADM9s with built in DAC and pre-amp.

Could be a great pairing with the Naim UnitiQute though. (I think the'Qute has pre-out connections but will have to check when I am back home.)

John Duncan

chebby said:
I guess a Beresford DAC would make a good, relatively inexpensive, digital front end. (Plus an ATV for AirPlay users.) But that's already getting messy in terms of little boxes and wires compared to the ADM9s with built in DAC and pre-amp.

Could be a great pairing with the Naim UnitiQute though. (I think the'Qute has pre-out connections but will have to check when I am back home.)

It does. The balanced version would be nice with the SM6 or DACmagic+ as well. Sonos Connect feels like the best partner though.

However, I'm tired of the hyperbole already...

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:

It's a pity the likes of the Marantz and Denon all in ones don't have preouts. They'd make excellent systems.

T

the record spot

With you on that. Hype Central is in full swing.

Anyway, looking forward to the review...

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
......as are specs...because we are all too silly to understand them.

I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

John Duncan

char_lotte said:
I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

Probably best do that now since second hand values are going to plummet, what with the 5s being better than anything else in the range apart from the RSSs. Or actually better than them. Or not better than them. And when you switch from the ADM40s you don't notice the difference. Until you go back to the ADM40s, which are of course better. So in other words they're as good as the third-string model in the range, but are still 1,000 times better than all others in the world. And they don't need bass because there is no bass in real music (except when there is, in which case there's a sub for that - just not these ones).

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
char_lotte said:

Probably best do that now since second hand values are going to plummet, what with the 5s being better than anything else in the range apart from the RSSs. Or actually better than them. Or not better than them. And when you switch from the ADM40s you don't notice the difference. Until you go back to the ADM40s, which are of course better. So in other words they're as good as the third-string model in the range, but are still 1,000 times better than all others in the world. And they don't need bass because there is no bass in real music (except when there is, in which case there's a sub for that - just not these ones).

What are you on this morning John?

Have you been at the illicit substances? ;-)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that these new baby ADM's are likely to do very well. They're competitively priced and look very smart with what is IMO perfect proportions for a compact bookshelf speaker. If they really do sound better than the old ADM9T's then these are going to be great and at £700 will offer exceptionally good value for money.*

Sound wise I obviously haven't heard them yet but based on AVI's track record I have little reason to doubt Ash's claims. I've heard a couple of AVI's older speakers and have never been anything but impressed by their sound quality and value for money which is due partly through sensible design by Martin Grinrod and partly through Ashley's direct selling business model (which he claims enables them to sell their speakers for half the price that they would be if they were selling them in shops).

* Being a fully signed up member of the AVI fanboy club it's inevitable that I'm going to end up sounding biased but I do always try and keep my comments fair and objective. And FWIW I'm also looking forward to hearing/seeing the new Acoustic Energy active speakers too and based on their track record I fully expect those to sound great too.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
...but they are to inflexible to be considered a main/only system, a pre-amp or streaming device/AEX is needed and most people probably don't even know what that is.

While I think it's a shame that AVI couldn't fit a remote control pre-amp and DAC inside these small enclosures I don't think that it will be a big deal. There are lots of cheap (and expensive) hifi quality sources that can be used with regular active speakers.

1. The Behringer UCA-202 at just £30 is probably the cheapest DAC/pre-amp which will offer true high fidelity sound quality.

2. There are also the more conventional hifi DAC/pre-amps such as the Beresford DAC's or the Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus.

3. The Sonos Connect or a Logitech Squeezebox Touch would make a perfect 'all in one' source and pre-amp for active speakers.

4. You can also use any AV reciever which has 'analogue pre-outs' as a DAC and pre-amp.

5. There are some hifi streamers and CD players which include a DAC and pre-amp such as the Audiolab 8200CDQ or the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6.

6. There are also dozens and dozens of DAC/pre-amps available from the pro-audio world too.

7. Ashley James even claims that the headphone output from his Phillips TV is audiably indistinguishable from a hifi DAC/pre-amp.

8. Even the iPhone or some of the good quality MP3 players offer genuine high fidelity sound quality from their analogue headphone outputs and can be plugged straight into a pair of active speakers.

As you can see from this comprehensive list there is no shortage of good quality affordable DAC's and pre-amps that can be used with regular active speakers.

EDIT - I forgot to include the Sonos and Squeezebox. :)

Andy-F73

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I am an owner of a pair of ADM 9.1T's with the corresponding sub and I am both happy with the product and happy in which the way AVI conduct it's business.

It's fair to say that this company divides opinion and that's dissapointing, I bet if everyone met for a beer things could be quite different.

For me the ADM approach is one that should be applauded for it's technical excellence.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts