The National

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I happen to be a big fan of the band "The National" and I find it interesting how polarizing this band seems to be among rock music lovers. This is truly a love/hate type band.

Some bands require an investment to "get" the music. The National requires a bigger investment than most bands in my opinion. Their music is very unusual and really defies classification. There music is at both repetitive AND complex. I find that the most satisfying art requires some time to appreciate. The National offerings are in the category that get better and better the more you hear them. Which I think is one reason that they are polarizing. It would be easy to dismiss their music after one listen. But put it on a few times (preferably with some intoxication to lubricate the mind) and it grows on you and becomes more powerful. Their albums also truly demand a complete listen. Their songs do not stand well in isolation and I don't think they are intended to. Their albums seemed to be designed to take you on a mood journey and that is destroyed by cherry picking the songs.

Anyone not familiar, I'd recommed starting with Boxer, but Alligator and High Violet are also excellent.

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
They are also fantastic live saw them in December 2010 at the 02 in Glasgow and it was one of the best gigs I've been to. :rockout:

geordie777

May 16, 2012
Visit site
They are also fantastic live saw them in December 2010 at the 02 in Glasgow and it was one of the best gigs I've been to. :rockout:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of them before [I am very old] and the last hour has been very entertaining on Spotify for scrouges. It sounds like it is reasonably well produced and not suffering 'loudness wars' problems. I feel more strain on the plastic is close by.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
If you like The National, then you might like Sharon Van Etten (sorry if everyone knows her already).

Aaron Dessner from The National was involved in her latest album "Tramp" (it's on Spotify)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts