The Jam/Style Council

I used to be a Weller disciple. Ever since I first watched them on the Old Grey Test in 1978, that was my calling back then.

When Weller called time on The Jam I was so upset. There were rumours in the music press long before it was confirmed on the Channel 4 show 'The Tube'.

I was puzzled when 'Speak Like a Child' and subsequent follow ups was released in early 1983. I was convinced they could easily be Jam singles, IMO they had another 2 or 3 good albums before last orders was called.

A few of my fav all-time albums is 'Setting Sons', 'Sound Affects', 'All Mod Cons' and 'Cafe Bleu'.

All local lads to me, just down the road in Sheerwater, Woking.

So cool.

View: https://youtu.be/vI8AOkbfgNE?si=1Jjc5xazvH-z2AuP

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I was put off Weller by the idiot britpop fans in the 90s who called themselves mods. Being 13 & not fan of lad culture, that second-wave madchester ruined loads of bands that I’ve only just started to realise why people loved them. That said, always had time for the jam. Brilliant songs.

Great reminder for me to dig into his work properly, thank you 😊

Reactions: plastic penguin
I’ve never really followed them, but having gone to primary school at Broadmere on Sheerwater estate, I was in the same class as Bruce Foxton. I even had a picture of us in the same football team!

Some years later, working part-time in Woking’s best record and Hifi store, Bruce occasionally popped in for some music. He looked very much the rockstar then, with multi-coloured leather boots that stick in my memory.

Paul Weller lives in Ripley now, and I saw him a couple of years ago in the chippy he regular buys from. Looking well worn, in an aging rockstar way!

Gray

I’ve never really followed them, but having gone to primary school at Broadmere on Sheerwater estate, I was in the same class as Bruce Foxton. I even had a picture of us in the same football team!

Some years later, working part-time in Woking’s best record and Hifi store, Bruce occasionally popped in for some music. He looked very much the rockstar then, with multi-coloured leather boots that stick in my memory.

Paul Weller lives in Ripley now, and I saw him a couple of years ago in the chippy he regular buys from. Looking well worn, in an aging rockstar way!
@nopiano you're more famous to me than Bruce Foxton - he should be the proud one.

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1
I was put off Weller by the idiot britpop fans in the 90s who called themselves mods. Being 13 & not fan of lad culture, that second-wave madchester ruined loads of bands that I’ve only just started to realise why people loved them. That said, always had time for the jam. Brilliant songs.

Great reminder for me to dig into his work properly, thank you 😊
I was a part of Mod revival scen in the late 70s/early 80s. I never associated any of 90s Britpop fans or groups with Mods.

Reactions: Revolutions

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts