Having an evening of old Hollies stuff on vinyl. They're not everyone's cup of char, especially love their early stuff before Nash waltzed off to California.

Have to confess I'm a Hollies geek (Graham Nash and Terry Sylvester years, or 1963-1980). :shame:

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
I only just saw your post. I hope you enjoyed, unless it's still going on, in which case I hope you are enjoying it.

I really liked the Hollies when I was young; I'm old enough that their hit-making years were in my childhood and early teens.

In later years I re-discovered them and of course there's so much more than just the hits. Classy band!

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Loved the Hollies - great singles band, harmony singing as good as CSN, excellent musicians particuiarly drummer Bobby Elliott and guitarist Tony Hicks

marou said:
Loved the Hollies - great singles band, harmony singing as good as CSN, excellent musicians particuiarly drummer Bobby Elliott and guitarist Tony Hicks

Gilson Lavis, drummer with Squeeze and the Jools Holland Band, said that Elliott was one of his biggest influences. Although contrary to most written work on the Hollies Elliot wasn't their original drummer. That honour went to a little known guy called Don Rathbone. He appeared on the first two singles. Elliott didn't join until they released a cover of Maurice Williams 'Stay'.

They are now embarrassing. Only Tony Hicks and Elliott remain from the early line-up. Nothing more than a poor tribute band.

Another little nerdy fact:

I've played 'Blowing In The Wind' from the album '...Sing Dylan' tonight, which was recorded with Sylvester, who replaced Nash. Also have this track on a compilation, which has a Nash remix. The backing vocals on the compilation is actually with Graham Nash and not Terry Sylvester. Clearly he demoed most of the tracks before heading Stateside.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I liked the Hollies, you can't beat great harmonies.

I saw them once at The Golden Garter, but this was when they were on the "Xmas Do" cabaret circuit, way past their best. ( see also: Hermans Hermits, and Wayne Fontana
smiley-embarassed.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts